Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:10pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Green "Superfoods"

High-end grocery stores and specialty markets offer "superfoods", which are supposed to be nutritional powerhouse foods that contain foods that provide the nutritional equivalent of "5 servings of fruit or vegetables."

For example:

http://greensplus.com/index.php

http://greensplus.com/product_info.p...roducts_id/130

The Original award-winning GREENS+® powder in a great tasting, 100% Natural Wild Berry flavor with High-ORAC* Antioxidant Mixed Berry Fruit Extracts is now available for the same low price.

* Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity is the standard testing method used to measure antioxidant foods. Higher numbers have a greater capacity to neutralize free radicals. One serving of Wild Berry Burst supplies the antioxidant equivalent of five servings of fresh fruit and vegetables.
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these items?

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:26pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An attempt to avoid the "5 servings a day" recommendation with 1 serving.

Actually they are convenient when you put them in a shake. Plus I don't feel nearly as guilty when I have a few pints of porter instead of my PM protein shake.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reviews I came across:

http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/2005_02_01_.html

GREENS+

Greens+ is a product that deserves special mention. The reality is that probably 99% of us don't get enough veggies in our diets. I shouldn't have to repeat that this is a huge problem, but I do, both to readers and clients. Greens+, a blend of antioxidants, enzymes, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, can help in this regard. Can it replace adequate intake of fruits and vegetables? Absolutely not. But this is one area in which you can and should supplement. A serving of Greens+ should be in every protein shake you drink. Along with Low Carb Grow, Surge and some essential fatty acid supplements, it's one of the only supplements I use regularly.
    A letter from FDA to the company:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...B+Review&hl=en

This is to advise you that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reviewed your web site at the Internet address http://www.allabouthealth.com and has determined that the products “Stacker 2”, and “Greens+” are promoted for conditions that cause the products to be drugs under section 201(g)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (the Act) [21 USC § 321(g)(1)]. The therapeutic claims on your web site establish that the products are drugs because they are intended for use in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease. The marketing of these products with these claimsviolates the Act.
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...66/ai_n5992780

Cleaning up your diet is a prerequisite if internal cleansing is to be successful. Common sense tells us that "taking out the trash" will be in vain if bash continues to accumulate nonstop. Translation? Cut white sugar and flour, hydrogenated fats and other processed foods out of your diet once and for all while increasing your intake of fresh fruits, vegetables, fiber and good rats such as flax or fish oil. Buy organic whenever you can, and try to eat as many chlorophyll-rich dark greens as possible to help remove pesticides and heavy metals from your body. Powdered "green foods," such as Greens+ by Greens+, Wheat Crass tablets by Pines International, Inc. and Perfect Food by Garden of Lire, can help supplement (not substitute for) your intake of dark greens.

Juicing vegetables is often part of a well-designed detox program because ifs an effective way to get a high concentration of nutrients and enzymes into your diet. I've found flirt using a Vita-Mix--as opposed to a regular juicer--to make "whole juice" is highly beneficial because it cuts down the amount of produce you need to use by a third, which saves much effort and expense; all of the vegetables' fiber and minerals are retained; and file resulting drink has a lower glycemic impact. That is, it doesn't spike blood sugar because file fiber is retained when you use the whole fruit.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130899

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh hell yes.

I am also of the camp which wants to pack all my servings into one.

I just consumed a shake with:

Brewers yeast
    Spirulina Powder
    Alfalfa powder
    Apple
    Celery
    Cranberries
    Banana
    Lecithin
    Liquid minerals
    Vitamin C

Also been known to add frozen berries, cocoa beans, spinach, carrots, or whatever's on hand.
    Last edited by Nid; 10/14/2005 2:54pm at .

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...524&query_hl=3

Greens+ is a popular natural health product marketed as energy-enhancing; however, no objective data substantiate this claim. The study objective was to determine if ingestion of greens+ 1. increases vitality, energy, and perception of well-being; 2. increases overall mental health and general health, and 3. decreases the incidence of colds and flus in an otherwise healthy female population. A total of 105 women were enrolled in this 12-week, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial; 63 (60%) completed the treatment protocol. Both treatment and placebo groups showed a significant time trend effect, scoring better on all outcome measures as the trial progressed. Compared with the placebo group, the greens+ group scored marginally higher on vitality, the primary outcome measure (p=0.055), and significantly higher on energy (a secondary outcome measure, p=0.018). Findings were based on repeated measures analysis of variance; baseline scores were used as covariates. Although a trend toward greater improvement in the greens+ group was noted in the other secondary outcome measures, this trend did not reach statistical significance. Overall, our findings were positive but not conclusive that greens+ increases vitality and energy. These results provide justification for further study of the effects of greens+.
    Appears to be the only peer-reviewed study on Pubmed.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kein, don't take this the wrong way, but your occasional sarcasm in responding to questions makes me ask you if you're serious about your shake recipe and/or the efficacy of superfoods.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MEAT.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joint Vibrance makes one that is supposed to be superior to the Greens+. My sister bought it and hated the taste. She gave it to me, so I've been taking now for a few weeks. I actually like the taste.

I have no idea if any of the claims are true, but I can tell you that I would not buy it on my own without more research into its actual benefits. I eat very healthy anyway, and that stuff she gave me cost like $60 for about a month's supply.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 3:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    My sister bought a joint and hated the taste. She gave it to me, so I've been taking now for a few weeks. I actually like the taste.

I have no idea if any of the claims are true, but I can tell you that I would not buy it on my own without more research into its actual benefits. I eat very healthy anyway, and that stuff she gave me cost like $60 for about a month's supply.

I fixed that for you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    MEAT.
    I spend plenty of cash on quality meat as it is:

Top Sirloin
    Ground Bison
    Ground Lamb
    Ground Dark Turkey
    Turkey Sausages
    Chicken BReasts

All antibiotic-free, free-range meat. Instead of boozing on weekends, I buy quality groceries.

But now is not the time for talking about meat. :gaygay:
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast