Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:22am

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

lifting and training bjj

I'm just curious how many days a week people that lift weights and train bjj do each? I have been doing lifting for several years and just started bjj. I noticed that my strength and energy while lifting have gone way down, but I expected that.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your schedule look like?

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do 2-3 days of BJJ a week (although not since uni started up again) and find it hard to lift more than once a week without cutting short my strength significantly in one or the other, but I'm sure other guys handle it much better than I have. My compensation for the reduced lifting and rolling is lots of rest and going hard as possible in both lifting and BJJ.

In short, I am in the same conumdrum as yourself.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:45am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havn't lifted since highschool (and even then I was pretty half assed, thoughtless about it). But recently I started again, because I really think my overall strength needs improving, and I find that it has taken it's toll on my rolling. I think this has to do with the fact that BJJ is almost like resistance training in itself, that the body never really has enough time to recover. I have found that making sure I drink a shake with whey/complex & simple carsbs within half an hour of finishing lifting or BJJ has helped alot. Other than that, I'm in the same boat brother.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to give your body time to recover, or your ST will suffer.
    Its not that BJJ is so streneous that you CAN'T ST, its that you have to adjust one to the other.
    IF you wanna focus on BJJ, you have to tailor your ST around BJJ, and vice-versa.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 7:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As of late, I've had time to train BJJ 6 times a week, two hours a day (although an hour of that is technique/warm-up), with an hour of boxing or kickboxing twice a week on top of that.

I've just introduced strength training on top of that, at least twice a week and sometimes 3 times, but in the morning only. Since beginning it, I've noticed more of a tendency towards fatigue by the end of the week, but that might just be because I'm adding some new exercise stress. When I started BJJ, it wore me out going three times a week, now I don't have much problem with 6 days. Any tiredness is not helped by my failure to get my ass in bed before midnight.

I have been careful to eat as well as possible (lots of raw veggies, green drink-type supplements, fish, fish oil, and chicken). Also, I've been taking whey protein before and after BJJ. Hard to tell if that's helping or not.

I was slowly but steadily losing weight (from 182 down to 171 lbs, and I'm 6ft) until I increased my calorie intake and started using the protein supplements. It's increased a bit since.

I'm just going to monitor my overall energy levels and see how things go. I'm 33 and was a pasty weak desk-jockey in February this year. Now I can roll for 30 minute rounds at a time. My conditioning is definitely a lot better than my technique, but even that's improving slowly (well it ought to, at 6 days a week).

If anything has to go, it will be the strength training for now. I'm going to have to stop doing BJJ so often in a couple of months, so I am making the most of it while I can.

Seriously, you young college-age whippersnappers; if you're studying an MA that you love, then grab that brass ring with both hands and go for it. Train as hard as you can, as often as you can, while your lives are still relatively uncomplicated and you still have open schedules.

It's an amazing opportunity you have and you'll appreciate it all the more if it goes.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just started both (weights in Feb, BJJ in August) but I had to leave the weight alone for the first month of BJJ. Now I'm doing both twice a week, but not on the same days. sometimes I'll only do BJJ once during the week, or weights once during the week. But the only thing I've noticed is that my elbows hurt all the time because of BJJ (armbars are my kryptonite) I thought I was making it worse with the weights (which is one of the reasons I took that month off), but they've started getting better even though I'm lifting again.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You realise that, to SUPPLEMENT yout BJJ with ST, you DO NOT have to train 3 times a week, 2 is more than enough, heck even ONCE is ok, if you hit your whole body with compond lifts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:10pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    I just started both (weights in Feb, BJJ in August) but I had to leave the weight alone for the first month of BJJ. Now I'm doing both twice a week, but not on the same days. sometimes I'll only do BJJ once during the week, or weights once during the week. But the only thing I've noticed is that my elbows hurt all the time because of BJJ (armbars are my kryptonite) I thought I was making it worse with the weights (which is one of the reasons I took that month off), but they've started getting better even though I'm lifting again.
    I had the same problem. When I started bjj I was lifting three days a week and my elbows started hurting to the point where it hurt to do pushups. Then I hurt my wrist and I stopped lifting and haven't really done it since. I've been contemplating lifting again though, since I'm not relying on as much strength at bjj and my body isn't a complete wreck after practice anymore.

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    You realise that, to SUPPLEMENT yout BJJ with ST, you DO NOT have to train 3 times a week, 2 is more than enough, heck even ONCE is ok, if you hit your whole body with compond lifts.
    What would you recommend for a program then? Deadlifts/Bench/Squat on the same day, or alternate? For one day a week, it seems like it would be tough.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast