Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like the guy is a jerk and you showed up his joker technique. In response he cranked you during a demo. That is weak sauce. Unless he has an amazing resume and you just have to train there I'd say Buh-bye. This guy sounds like a bully and a bad grappler.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 7:41pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's an ok grappler, better than I am. I know he's done grappling of some sort elsewhere, because he was holding his own against this former wrestler at our school, who also trains for MMA. He got him in this reverse triangle choke, but didn't have it cranked quite right. They don't teach anything close to that at my TKD school. And I've free grappled with him before, he is definately not just a "tkd crappler". (By the way, this particular guy outweighs, outmuscles, and is generally more skilled than I am in just about anything else. Most of the guys I roll with are bigger and stronger than I am)

But Osiris, you have a good point (if somewhat rudely put), I do suck at BJJ so far. I'm not claiming to be good at all. I was expressing my displeasure at getting caught in cranks, and what to do about it. If your advice is to get better at grappling, then fine, I'm working on it. Do you have anything else to add?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Generally it doesn't. They extend it as far as it will go and it pops a few times and then they sits there wondering why his **** didn't work. Sometimes you really are fucked, but a lot of neck cranks involved someone who's not flexible so they tap cause they're in pain and scared.

And whre are you teaching them to neck crank from? Under mount or some ****?
    Nah, frontal standup assault sd responses. The sensei teaches some judo and adds non-sport type takedowns and throws that are a combination of wrestling and several mas. There seem to be various ways to take down grabbing the head, cranks are just part of it. The head acts just fine instead of the arm and shoulder being grabbed for an alternative "shoulder throw." Sensei is the kind of guy who throws you nice and lands you on your back or side, or throws you mean and drops you on your head. He likes foot grab thows too, wierd, but they work great for him, 5'3" and built like an outhouse.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/14/2005 7:53pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see how you can get neck cranked from top mount. Maybe he was just holding you down? Grab his arm and armbar him.

Before you roll with someone tell them no neck cranks. I also tell them no toe holds or heel hooks. Ankle locks and knee bars are fine and I pretty much tap instantly on everything for safety. It's all about technique when you're training. Save the toughness for competition.

And work on strengthening your neck. Do neck bridges if you can.
    Legendary Street Fighter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 10:25pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably could have armbarred him; the point of the thread isn't my momumental suckiness for getting subbed from top mount (although it's sort of funny and sad, I'll admit). If we were rolling, I might have tried to counter, but we were drilling, and I wasn't thinking about countering him, I was trying to attack so he could counter. Kind of compliant, I know, but that's what we were doing and that was my mentality at the time.

I might try neck bridges; it seems like it might injure the neck though. I'll ask my teacher about it monday, perhaps.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 11:12pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i say neck bridges, start with just strengthening your neck, theres plenty of stuff on the net.
    your gonna hurt like a bitch if you start off doing neck bridges with a weak neck

Office Drone

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 11:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tantric sex works your bridgely nicely as well and it lower impact for your frail little body.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    when i say neck bridges, start with just strengthening your neck, theres plenty of stuff on the net.
    your gonna hurt like a bitch if you start off doing neck bridges with a weak neck
    He probably won't be able to do a full bridge. It takes time to learn. There are other ways too. Google some yoga poses for the neck.
    Legendary Street Fighter

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 4:23am

Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can do a 3 minute neck bridge touching my nose to the mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2005 4:36am

Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, in a life threatening situation, say your plane gets hijacked, with a neck crank you can kill people instantly. Any submission hold can easily be a break if applied with unrestrained force. Because of this, people have a natural, instinctive reaction to move with such a hold to prevent breakage. When the neck is in danger people freak out. It is very commanding psychologically. It says, calm down or i will break your neck.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast