Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:41pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I hate the Head/Neck Crank

When I grappled with a friend of mine who wrestled, he cranked my neck like crazy and it hurt to turn my head for days afterward. Today I rolled with the assistant instructor from my TKD place (who must've done some grappling elsewhere, because he is pretty good. Plus I know we aren't taught triangle chokes at my TKD school) and he cranked my neck really hard (from under mount, no less) until I tapped. Now it's hurting like a bitch again. And I rolled with a bigger guy who used to wrestle and box, and he trains for amateur MMA now, and he was cranking my head from half-guard like crazy too. In my BJJ class, this never happens, I heard somewhere that neck and spine attacks aren't allowed because of the danger. Not sure though.

So how do you deal with someone who (no matter what position they are in) just hugs you tight and starts squeezing and cranking your head or neck? Anything other than tapping immediately to avoid neck injuries?

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tap. Ask them to work something else so both of your games can improve. Oh and stop grappling at TKD schools.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:13pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it hurts, tap. It's not worth fucking up your neck for. However, that being said, not all neck cranks are injurious. I always relax my neck completely, which often makes the crank little more than wasted energy for the other person -- especially if I'm on top. In those situations, I don't worry about getting out, I concentrate on sinking my weight into them and making them more miserable than I am.

I had a blue belt with a significant strength advantage trying to neck crank me last week. I just trash-talked until he gave up.

Edit: But if you are getting neck cranked, it's often because you've done something retarded. Stop that. Lord knows I'm trying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:25pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris: a little over a month of BJJ. So I guess I just need to train more, and then I'll be impervious to neck cranks?

Monkey: I get cranked while on top of mount, from under guard, under half guard, under side control, just about anywhere. If they get a forearm right on the back of my neck, and just squeeze, I don't think relaxing the neck is gunna help much.

Or, I'm a dumb BJJ noob, and the answers will come with time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:30pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    I don't think relaxing the neck is gunna help much.
    You'd be surprised. In fact, you'd be downright shocked. Now that I think about it, you'd be lucky not to **** all over your partner's designer rash guard.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A. Don't get there
    B. Juji Gatame
    C. Grow stronger neck

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Well, you won't, but you probably won't think that the TKD guy is very good. As for neck cranks, don't get mounted. If they're cranking you from elsewhere, you're REALLY fucking up.
    Well, yes... But they are really nice as a sd technique, I've been trying to teach them for gals to use to frontal assault - and it works super with beards. Surprise is of course of the essence.

And I don't understand how relaxing would work, as compared to tightening up. If a strong guy cranks you and you relax doesn't your neck break?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:31am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i must have read this wrong, because it sounds like you are saying you got neck cranked while holding mount. if you are that awful then the person who neck cranked you is a bit of a dick for using neck cranks on you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:43am

Style: JKD/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have to go with Osiris here. MAtt furey neck cranked me forty times once, twenty to each side, and by the end my neck had popped so many times it was like a high priced chiro adjustment. Felt great. But the point is i relaxed and just tapped when the pain was too much. YOur neck muscles cushion your spine, so you'll probably tap from neck muscle hyperextension before your vertebrae are anywhere close to being in danger. That said, don't be stupid and die or kill somebody by overcranking.
    Last edited by Re4; 10/14/2005 12:47am at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't Yrkoon have a story about a tourney he was in and he saw a guy get paralyzed from a neck crank? That's enough to make me tap instead of trying to fight it... not worth ending up in a wheelchair...

PL
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast