Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:14pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK, having a stupid moment (? about RNC)

Was just sitting here thinking about escaping a RNC and suddenly, pop, my mind went blank. I cannot for the life of me remember which way to turn. Towards the fingers of the choking arm, or towards the shoulder. I think it is towards the fingers, correct? Cause then you can take a hand of the wrist and block the hip. That is right, isn't it? It has been awhile since I thought about it (or practiced it for that matter).

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Towards the fingers. "His hand is pointing the way" my instructor likes to say.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Toward the fingers.

Unless it is a collar choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:19pm

Style: BJJ (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, didn't want to get in that predicament then go out because I turned the wrong way.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bite them, head butt them, or fall backwards on top of them (thereby crushing them to death)
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 9:59pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eye gouge behind your head, and then dim mak the 13th lung point under their left shoulder.

Seriously though, (and keep in mind this is just a noobish white belt talking) the way I learned the RNC, the elbow should be really deep, in line with the adams apple if possible. So to escape, if you turned into the elbow, you'd really be turning into the choke even more. If I'm not mistaken, the choke squeezes the carotid arteries on the sides of the neck, so you don't want to do that. Turning toward the fingers would get you out of that pressure and relieve the choke.

Or I'm just a horrible BJJ noob and everything I just posted is bs. Either way, I think you turn toward the fingers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:24pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There IS the opportunity to turn toward their elbow - there's sometimes a small opening in the crook of their elbow that gives you some breathing space - for when you are not in a position to turn your head the other way. Preferably the other way though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:30pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judogido
    There IS the opportunity to turn toward their elbow - there's sometimes a small opening in the crook of their elbow that gives you some breathing space - for when you are not in a position to turn your head the other way. Preferably the other way though.
    In a proper RNC the elbow is lined up with the chin so there is no turning towards the elbow, the crook of the elbow is where they want you, and breathing doesn't matter because it should be attacking your arteries anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:31pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Breathing? I always thought a RNC was a blood choke

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes when it gets applied wrong, the forearm is across the throat rather than the "vice" on either side of the throat - so turning in towards the elbow relieves this pressure and gives you some "breathing space" (no pun intended).

However, you dont want to stop here & let them settle in to a proper RNC, but continue twisting in towards them to wriggle out of it. The danger is you're turning right into a RNC for him so it is a very risky manoeuvre - but sometimes you have no choice depending on your & his position.

It is definitely the exception to the rule - mainly for when the RNC is not in it's correct position & you have no opportunity to turn the other way. Okay - it's a very narrow scenario & you have to judge it at the time. It is not the "correct escape" from a sunk RNC by any stretch.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast