Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 3:47pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ADHD

Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is one of the most oft-diagnosed conditions in children nowadays.

What's your guy's take on the condition? Do you think it's a legitimate, unique condition undeserving of scorn, or do you think that it's BS meant to cover up bad parenting and give drug companies more money?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's legitimate, but perhaps misdiagnosed in somepeople.

For instance, I think this may be a symptom of individuals who suffer from exposure to lead. I really don't know what tests there are for it, and their reliability and validity.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 4:45pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People forget that children are supposed to be energetic and hell-raising.

PL

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 5:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is largely used as a catchall. Teachers love to have kids evaluated, and there is an incentive for the schools to paste your kid with that label, so they can get extra funding. I HATE that a lot of kids are walking around, believing they are ADHD because a teacher was too tired/burned out/shitty to admit that she/he was boring as hell.

However, I have met kids that ABSOLUTELY have that condition. One trains with me. Great kid, but you have to be careful with him, and he's got the attention span of a flea. He's going on 16, been diagnosed since 8, and his parents are very active and involved.

Ritalin is a drug they are just starting to realize has a nasty long term impact, as well. Not good.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    3/18/2005 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How else are college students supposed to get their amphetamines?

Posted On:
    3/19/2005 6:41pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to an "alternative" high school where a large portion of the student body is said to have some form of ADD or ADHD (myself not included). Within said student body there are many people who very clearly need some sort of medication and/or treatment to help them concentrate. The days that they do not have their medication can be pure chaos. On the other hand there are some who really don't need the medication, but seem to function as a more productive student while they are on it. There is probably some merit in this thought, but there is also a good chance of a placebo effect.

I think that medications that adjust the chemical balancing in your brain are overperscribed. I have a lot of experience with more therapists than I care to remember and a boatload of different anti-depressents/anti-anxiety medications. Many of these mental analysts of sorts were very hasty to attempt perscriptions to solve the problem.

Having a lot of bad experience with those miracle pills I am very resentful of the whole idea of a mindaltering medicine. But I am not so blind to see how much it has helped some people, and I think that if it works for you then it's great, but your problems shouldn't be solved by way of pill. If a pill helps you along your journey to finding a solution, go for it.

summary: yes, ADHD is real. Medication for it is HIGHLY overperscribed. More people need to cut the crap and stop pussyfooting around with super caring parenting and lay down some rules.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    3/19/2005 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say overdiagnosed. Too many kids on Ritalin nowadays cause their parents won't take the time to give em a few spankings to get them to settle the **** down.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/19/2005 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Refer to the Southpark episode for my feelings on ADD and ADHD

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    3/19/2005 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have it. Had it since I was a child. Wasn't diagnosed until I lost of job because of it last year. Basically I was bored shitless at work, didn't know how to deal with it, and resulted in negative behaviors like surfing this website on company time.

Went to a place called the Amen Clinic. It's supposed to be the best. Dr. Amen says ADHD and other conditions show up on a brain scan called a SPEC. I took one and my pattern was right out of the book. I was dianosed with Limbic ADD. Basically ADD mixed with clinical depression. They put me on Welbutrin XL. It's an antidepressent, but also helps some forms of ADD. I got better. Wasn't depressed anymore, focused better too. Problem was everything was out of pocket. My medical insurcance didn't cover mental health care, especially from an outside provider. I transfered to my HMO's ADD program and they wouldn't touch me because of the depression. I started seeing someone for depression and convinced them to continue to prescribe me Welbutrin.

Things are better now, but they aren't perfect. I have a new job, and I do ok. I catch myself sometimes regressing into old behaviors and can do something about it. It's still tough.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    3/20/2005 12:10am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have come into contact with a girl who had such bad ADHD it bordered on dementia. Actually, maybe she was demented. She got pulled out of the school when she locked herself in her dorm room and didn't sleep for five days because she was a "dragon" defending her "lair." But I digress. I'm pretty sure it exists, but I know many people whose parents tried to get them diagnosed incorrectly. A lot of really smart kids end up on Ritalin because they get bored at the torpid learning pace in school, and they act up as a result.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast