Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I demand video evidence.
    Dude, that was almost 21 years ago ... do you have any idea ... any idea at all ... what she "must" look like today?

Damn, I was planning on going to sleep in an hour ... that fugly visual will keep me awake all night ... scary ... best plug in a night light ... get out my blankey & most fave stuffed toy, Bo-Bo Rabbit ... **** ... hope that freaky bitch ain't under my bed ... I WANT MY MOMMY!!!!!!!

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe she can still do her trick, JFS?

Think about that.

You're welcome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 5:53am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi Chuan is a martial art, finding places that train it like one is a whole world of not funny. Dan Doherty's schools are probably the only 'chain' (in the UK anyway) that you can guarantee to get some degree of martial training (with some range in quality - not all DD instructors are equal).

I don't train with Dan's system - I'm a Yang stylist. I just got lucky with my teacher.

The reason some of the moves look like grappling moves is because that's what people look like when they grapple :) The key is what's going on mechanically/internally - that's what takes years and years to 'get'.

In the second session of my classes, I teach external mechanics - how to hit someone, how to lock or throw someone. Once they've got basic mechanics down, they start light sparring (plus loads of pushing hands). That way they get some confidence that they can hit with power, and that it works against a non-cooperative opponent. As time goes by, they bring the skills from the first hour into their more obvious martial work.

In the first session I teach the form, QiGong and connectivity exercises - this builds the correct way of moving, the correct internal connections so that they can refine all of the external mechanics they have and it also starts to ingrain ways of moving in a martial context. As time goes by they start to bring their martial understanding to their form practice - eventually there isn't any difference between the first and second session because it's all working off of the same principles.

Anyway, enough blabbing :)

Moron

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:34am

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You wanna come to the UK throwdown Kaitain?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know there was one :) When/where is it? (just give me a link to a thread)

I gotta take it easy for the next month/6 weeks as Im getting LASIK, but if I can make it after that I'd like to come along.

Moron

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right now its at an undefined time in an undecided place (Oxford probably), so if you want to propose a venue or time, just stick it on the thread in the throw down section.

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 7:00am

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liokault
    Having locks in the form is different to having locks.
    Well:

1) Some of them are not <bong hit>The form can be anything, maaaan . . .</bong hit> business, but the widely understood way to use that movement.

2) There are specific joint locks that are expected to arise out of push hand practice and you do train for them. They're mostly rotator cuff and elbow joint AFAIK, but I don't know the whole Yang system by a long shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 7:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm already trying to organise a seminar for Torsten - if you guys read emptyflower then you'll see info on that on the events forum. Don't fancy organising two events :) I'll keep an eye on the thread and do my best to make it - gotta have something to look forward to through the winter...

Since you're both DD guys - what's the deal with Neil Rosiak? Has he left DD's system completely or are they cool with each other? I like the Renaissance site and marketing - hits the right note imho.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 8:14am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BenwaMandelbrot
    Maybe she can still do her trick, JFS?
    *BARF* ... choke ... gasp ... *PUKE*

Moron

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain
    I'm already trying to organise a seminar for Torsten - if you guys read emptyflower then you'll see info on that on the events forum. Don't fancy organising two events :) I'll keep an eye on the thread and do my best to make it - gotta have something to look forward to through the winter...

Since you're both DD guys - what's the deal with Neil Rosiak? Has he left DD's system completely or are they cool with each other? I like the Renaissance site and marketing - hits the right note imho.

I don't understand what you mean. It's not like Dan sells franchises to his style. He just teaches people, who then go off and teach other people.

I am not close with Neil or Dan, so I cannot really comment on the relationship, but it looks normal to me.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast