Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second looked like wrestling I have to say, but the first didn't.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:49am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whether TCC is trained martially has to be taken on a case-by-case basis. For numerous reasons -- too boring to get into yet again -- very few schools teach it as such. Of the small minority remaining, many have martial elements, but do not teach practical martial arts that would stand up under either a competition or self-defense scenario. However, if anyone says that TCC is not a martial art, they are full of ****. Read up on the origins and history if you don't believe me.

And if you're in Toronto, come visit me. I might not be a shining example of all that TCC can do, but I will get on the mats with you and let you form your own opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:19am

Style: Chinese Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi is (or maybe was) a great martial art. That said its very VERY very VERY hard to find teachers that has the skill to treat it as such. Unfortunatley it for most schools has turned into a health exercise. This is similar to what has happened to Aikido and probably a risk all soft arts have.

I was very sceptical when I started taking Tai Chi classes but having done it for about a year now I've found it really helps with both my speed (!) and power. Tai Chi teaches you to use "intrinsic" energy through relaxation (and body alignment). Relaxation is not as easy (or haphazard) as it sounds but I've found that the more I understand how to relax the more it helps me with so many thing martial. I'm now better at reacting "spontaneously" to situations, to move quicker and with better timing and also delivering with more power. The strange thing is that the power is "effortless" if not unlimited. It's a strange feeling but I now have a lot of respect for tai chi and its training method.

I've been lucky to find a yang school that teaches it as a martial art with practical application of (all moves). If you are in Boston send me a note and you can come down and make your own judgement.

I still do external gongfu as well but my interest is more and more on tai chi.

That said, must of what I find online about tai chi is rubbish.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:19am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotion
    how are those throws related to tai chi??

it looks like some wrestling added. Same type of takedowns. are you sure that the place you go to isn't just a place that teaches tai chi and self-defence stuff??
    Well, Tai Chi is more than just the slow hand form. I'm sure you could find many of the same takedowns in other martial arts, but I don't think that those takedowns were introduced from a study of Judo or Wrestling. I think it's more a case of 'simillar problems, simillar solutions'.

Here are some drills that are a bit more recognisable as a technique in the form :-

http://www.renaissancetaichichuan.co...lelegsieze.wmv

http://www.renaissancetaichichuan.com/pathorseapp.wmv

There used to be some really good San Shou vids at fightingtaichi.com where I could recognise the 'Tai Chi' in some takedowns. Sadly that site is now defunct.

I don't think it is because I've seen takedowns and other techniques used in sparring (both in competition videos and in class) which I recognise in the form.

I should note though, that if somebody could prove to me that what I was being taught was secretly a mix of kickboxing and wrestling, it wouldn't stop me training in it.

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    i have a more interesting question to ask:
    Do you like pancakes or waffles more?
    Ah ... trick question by the Slippery One ... answer is the "real" first question:

What flavor syrups are available?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 11:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    I don't think it is because I've seen takedowns and other techniques used in sparring (both in competition videos and in class) which I recognise in the form.

I should note though, that if somebody could prove to me that what I was being taught was secretly a mix of kickboxing and wrestling, it wouldn't stop me training in it.
    It's amazing how alive martial arts tend to come up with similar solutions to the same problems, huh?

Moron

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 11:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have a more interesting question to ask:
    Do you like pancakes or waffles more?

Retard, you guys in America think your getting real waffles, but infact you for years have been getting fake inferior quality waffles, the sort of waffles that were invented to keep the real waffles secret.

I and I alone hold the secret of the true waffle.......which can be purchased from me for $9.95

Moron

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by garbanzobean
    It's amazing how alive martial arts tend to come up with similar solutions to the same problems, huh?

Most CMA has throws etc (called Shuai Chiao). Lots of it is very similar to judo, but in fact is much older.

Going into the whole Shuai Chiao aspect of CMA is several whole new threads.

If you really don't think that the Tai Chi of Dan Docherty is anything but a recent stitching together of dance tai chi with some grappling throws, look on the Renaissance Tai Chi web site for the Chen Tin Hung DVD. This shows Chen (Dan's teacher)doing throws etc.....its a cool 8mm black and white film shot on the streets of 60's hong kong.
    Last edited by liokault; 10/13/2005 12:33pm at . Reason: spelling

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liokault
    Retard, you guys in America think your getting real waffles, but infact you for years have been getting fake inferior quality waffles, the sort of waffles that were invented to keep the real waffles secret.

I and I alone hold the secret of the true waffle.......which can be purchased from me for $9.95
    You have my attention. </Peter Griffin>

Moron

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have my attention. </Peter Griffin>

Money first....PayPal accepted
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast