Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 7:43am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shut up. Who the **** are you to say what is and isn't Tai Chi?

You were born in 1987 and yet list your MA experience as: Martial Arts Experience:
    Xingyi
    Bagua
    Tai Chi
    Tai Kwan Do (damn, what a waste of time)
    Karate
    Streetfighting
    Wrestling

Kendo
    Mulan Jin
    Staff
    Spear

Come back when your balls have dropped.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 8:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My tai chi is uber-deadly !!
    Sure I wear a gi, and it looks more like Kyokushin and has a judo like flavour to it and has no mention of Chi or anything like that, BUT I once wore chinese slippers so, yes it is Tai chi and it kicks ass !!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That qualifies you. Just dont do any of that moving slowly ****.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 9:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To quote the great Chen Taiji master, Chen Hunglikehorse:
    "Why you move slow? tired? pulled groin muscle ?"

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    My tai chi is uber-deadly !!
    Sure I wear a gi, and it looks more like Kyokushin and has a judo like flavour to it and has no mention of Chi or anything like that, BUT I once wore chinese slippers so, yes it is Tai chi and it kicks ass !!
    You wish. You know as well as I do that Tai Chi is the missing ingredient that will finally blend your karate/boxing strikes and judo grappling together perfectly.

Posted On:
    11/02/2005 6:47pm

Style: LOL GUN FU TEEHEE

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kaitain - wow, such hate. Now go back and point out where I said that the slow moving bit wasn't Tai Chi. I said that wasn't all there was to Tai Chi, and it sure as hell wasn't the martial arts bit. Oh yeah, who I am is someone who's graduated the slow bit and is doing the fast bit, which makes the slow bit seem like a stretching exercise (which may as well be what it is) and the fast bit seem like the real MA bit.
    Honestly, why does everyone here pop a vein over the stupidest ****?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2005 4:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because you're spouting a load of rubbish about an art that gets enough grief as it is. A few people have spent a lot of time and energy on this board (not me - I'm just hanging on coat tails :)) to achieve a position where taiji is a martial art is not instantly dismissed, it is at least judged by school/practitioner now. As previously advised - use the search function.

You've "graduated" from the slow movement? The slow movement _is_ Taijiquan - the MA of Tai Chi comes from those movements, those principles, those concepts. The slow movement (or fast/slow movement if you're doing Chen) is what makes it the MA OF TAIJI. All other things in a system of taiji are tools to bring the MA out of that form so that you can put it back in - sparring, long pole training, silk-reeling, standing, pushing hands, etc. They are all borne from the same base. Fast forms are merely formalised patterns of form postures performed at speed - without the _ongoing_ work in the slow form, the fast form develops nothing.

To quote you at length "That really looong, sloooow series of 88 movements you see a the YMCA and available on DVDs and stuff? Not Tai Chi. That series of movements is actually a pre-Tai Chi exercise designed to get your body used to certain movements and make you flexible, and it's supposed to be done fairly quickly too. Don't ask me why it's so damn slow, I blame the first McDojo rep who claimed it was an easy form of Yoga. Learning these 88 movements and claiming you know Tai Chi is like touching your toes and claiming you know Ju Jujitsu. You aren't going to win fights with this set of slow, even movements, not in a million years.

Actual Tai Chi is practiced a lot like a Karate kata, except involving a great deal of sidesweeping movements, spinning, stomping, and jabbing people in painful places. All of it is very fast and hard to follow if you haven't already done the moves slow-mo in the workout. This doesn't mean that just becaues it's gone from Yoga to Kata it's suddenly t3h styl3 of t3h g0dz0rz!!!!11! It's a martial art, like any other, and has problems like any other. There are some moves that are worth learning though."

Note the key words in the second line: "Not Tai Chi".

So - what style do you train? How long have you trained it? Who is your teacher?

edit - and don't even get me started on Yi
    Last edited by Kaitain; 11/03/2005 4:19am at .
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011