Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:45am

Style: Chinese Internal MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Tai chi a martial art or is it a form of Chinese Yoga?

I have an interesting question to ask:

Is Taiji Quan (Tai Chi) even a martial art, or is it, like a small number of practitioners would like everyone to think, another form a Chinese Yoga? I have been studying the Chinese Internal Martial Arts (CMA-I) for a little more than 8 months now, and though I can see the parts where taiji quan would certainly serve as a martial arts, its slow attitude makes me wonder whether or not those TCS cultists are telling the truth or not. I've seen multiple sites telling me its a martial art, even ones with techs on it, such as http://www.chiflow.com, and http://www.shenwu.com, but I have not seen any sites owned by the TCS cultists. In fact, I'm starting to believe they do not exist. But still, If I am learning a martial art, am I or am I not?

I'd like both sides of the argument, especially for the TCS cultists, becuase I have not found evidence of their existence. You don't have to be on my side, you don't have to be on theirs, all I need is supportive evidence to make a decision.

Thanks to all!

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:53am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends how you practice.

The Tai Chi club I go to sucessfully enters people into san shou tournaments and the 'moving step' push hands is very simillar in rules to sumo wrestling. I consider it a martial art.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shenshuai
    I have an interesting question to ask:

Is Taiji Quan (Tai Chi) even a martial art, or is it, like a small number of practitioners would like everyone to think, another form a Chinese Yoga? I have been studying the Chinese Internal Martial Arts (CMA-I) for a little more than 8 months now, and though I can see the parts where taiji quan would certainly serve as a martial arts, its slow attitude makes me wonder whether or not those TCS cultists are telling the truth or not. I've seen multiple sites telling me its a martial art, even ones with techs on it, such as http://www.chiflow.com, and http://www.shenwu.com, but I have not seen any sites owned by the TCS cultists. In fact, I'm starting to believe they do not exist. But still, If I am learning a martial art, am I or am I not?

I'd like both sides of the argument, especially for the TCS cultists, becuase I have not found evidence of their existence. You don't have to be on my side, you don't have to be on theirs, all I need is supportive evidence to make a decision.

Thanks to all!
    i have a more interesting question to ask:
    Do you like pancakes or waffles more?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some throws being drilled by people who practice Tai Chi as a martial art.

http://www.renaissancetaichichuan.co...ulsemonkey.wmv

Converter of Virgins

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: H'ung Ga & SPM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why either or ... holistic systems can be employed across a wide range of parameters.

I have a dear Friend who practices primarily for health benefits ... she is in her 60s and
    "back in the day" practiced primarily for martial purposes. No disconnect in system ... simply a shift in context.

Watched GM WCC Chen do an impromptu demo a couple of times "back in the day" ... in the first he had one of his Tudai take a phone book out of a booth ... NYC phone book ... 2 of his Tudai held the book with the book spine facing him. He "slapped" the spine of the book with the back of his hand (Single Whip) damned near splitting the book in 1/2. Hate to take that shot to head.

Another time we were all sitting around in a rice shop and GM WCC Chen answered a question by having one of his Tudai secure 13 1" inch pine boards ... the typical ones used in breaking demos. The boards were stacked on the ground, in plane with the ground ... he dropped down ... struck the stack ... and broke every board (Snake Creeps Down). Hate to take that shot to the knee.

I am not in any way associated with the TCC tradition ... and I'm not blind to real skill when I see it ... regardless of form.

How "best" to use or pursue your interests? "Horses for courses" as my Friend Steve would say.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:07am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Yang style taichi for a couple of years(on and off) and I see it as a martial art..and a good one. The problem is that 90% of the schools around the world teach wushu taichi or that new age crap...good for hippies, old people and people suffering from "yellow fever"! About doing it slow...well, the common answer is that it's all about body position and training your sensitivity facing body shiftings of your opponent. But when it comes to sparring( and I hope your school has it) or fighting it's done at the same speed(more or less) as any other art around there. Just my two cents...peace!

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:24am

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Some throws being drilled by people who practice Tai Chi as a martial art.

http://www.renaissancetaichichuan.co...ulsemonkey.wmv
    CULLION, these clips are pretty cool, are they from your school?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokujin
    CULLION, these clips are pretty cool, are they from your school?
    No, but it's the same association. That school is in London, and I train in Oxford.

The guy who runs that school, and the guy who teaches me, both trained under Dan Docherty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:43am

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how are those throws related to tai chi?? it looks like some wrestling added. Same type of takedowns. are you sure that the place you go to isn't just a place that teaches tai chi and self-defence stuff??
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast