Hell yeah! Hell no!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting article, and the following posts were even more interesting.

Another thing that should be mentioned, while we're on the topic, is the necessity to stretch properly. Just like lifting requires proper form to prevent injury, so does stretching.

Very few people take the time to learn to stretch properly. Improper form while stretching can actually lead to joint instability and potential injury.

One example is a hamstring stretch. When most people stretch their hamstrings, whether seated or standing, they roll their lower backs. When stretching, proper spinal alignment should be maintained (slight arch in the lower back). The stretch should only go as far as possible without rounding the lower back. By rounding the lower back, you not only decrease the stretch of the hamstrings, but you also compromise the integrity of the discs in your lumbar spine, thereby increasing the potential for future disc problems such as herniations.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Stretching directly after lifting is a bad idea. Periodize your lifting, and alternate your intensity and volume.
    Actually, remember what jwinch found out in his studies? Stretching after a ST workout can increase your gains by as much as 20%. That got my ass stretching afterwards.

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    Don't follow any of AM's advice, because he hasn't made crap for gains in 4 years. Give it up AM. Your not helpful. Your advice is wrong, and that's why you increase your poundages in 2.5 pound increments every 2 months.
    AM's only been lifting about a year or so, Bao....

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    yeah, you can stretch 10-30 seconds without negative results. Stretching between sets prevents blood pooling jackass.
    Stretching between sets is actually a bad idea, it'll weaken the muscles more. And blood pooling? You're not going to get a fucking thrombus in your leg and die of pulmonary embolism because you didn't stretch between a set of squats. Thrombi only form when you're sitting on your ass for a few hours and the blood clots in your capillary.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Actually, remember what jwinch found out in his studies? Stretching after a ST workout can increase your gains by as much as 20%. That got my ass stretching afterwards.

Ya, I remember him talking about his disseration on it. I don't disagree, I'm just wondering how to combat the intense tightness/possibility of damage and stretching properly. If someone has access to a Jacuzzi, they can sit in that for 10 min after lifting and then stretch, there's gotta be an effective way to loosen up the muscle prior to stretching it after a heavy lift.

I've noticed Bao's like Ren Hoek.

And hey I found my icon ----> :copdance:

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Ya, I remember him talking about his disseration on it. I don't disagree, I'm just wondering how to combat the intense tightness/possibility of damage and stretching properly. If someone has access to a Jacuzzi, they can sit in that for 10 min after lifting and then stretch, there's gotta be an effective way to loosen up the muscle prior to stretching it after a heavy lift.

I've noticed Bao's like Ren Hoek.

And hey I found my icon ----> :copdance:
    That's an excellent point. I often begin my stretching in a hot shower after lifting or any other training. It goes a long way toward alleviating the problem you mentioned.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234