Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 6:43pm

Style: TKD, western boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Stretching directly after lifting is a bad idea. Periodize your lifting, and alternate your intensity and volume.
    First time I've heard that. Can you go into more detail?

The logic I've read is, when you lift heavy, your muscle fibers automatically contract as a defense mechanism. Afterwards you stretch to lengthen the fibers so you don't feel stiff. Not to mention it A. encourages blood flow and B. reduces lactic acid build up.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I heard stretching right after lifting even gets you better gains. Please elaborate.

PL

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is something I'm interested in as well. I've heard both sides of it at the gym, but only read evidence to back up the pro streching after lifting thing, however, I could see how streching after lifting could tear a muscle or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 6:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think there'd be a greater chance of tearing a muscle with lifting than stretching. The point of post-workout stretching is to relieve stress, not enhance it, which is why I would think it would be nothing but beneficial towards gains.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He said before that you would risk a muscle tear, but I don't really agree with that. Sure maybe if you go full out and have someone sit on your back while you're doing the splits...but if you stretch lightly there shouldn't be a problem.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, stretching directly after lifting is detrimental due to tightness of the muscles already from a near maximal contraction. Stretching is a great idea and yes it does help in recovery, etc. But one should wait an hour or so afterwards or before bed/after evening shower. The reasoning specifically is that if you stretch a tightened muscle, you run the risk of pulling or possibly tearing it. Stretching before you sleep will help you sleep better as all the muscles will be relaxed (tertiary benefit.)

On a side note, I say F stretching, do MR.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MR?

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Alright, stretching directly after lifting is detrimental due to tightness of the muscles already from a near maximal contraction. Stretching is a great idea and yes it does help in recovery, etc. But one should wait an hour or so afterwards or before bed/after evening shower. The reasoning specifically is that if you stretch a tightened muscle, you run the risk of pulling or possibly tearing it. Stretching before you sleep will help you sleep better as all the muscles will be relaxed (tertiary benefit.)

On a side note, I say F stretching, do MR.
    Isn't that the point of stretching, though? To loosen up tightened muscle fibers? IAnd what about all the bodybuilders recommending you stretch in between sets?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:30pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't follow any of AM's advice, because he hasn't made crap for gains in 4 years. Give it up AM. Your not helpful. Your advice is wrong, and that's why you increase your poundages in 2.5 pound increments every 2 months.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 7:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    stretching muscles flush the muscles with nutrients, because it will allow greater bloodflow. Akiramusashi has only bits and pieces of information gathered from here, there and everywhere. He tries to fill the blanks with bullshit he makes up. You can eat directly following a workout to prevent catabolism and atrophy, and you should also eat protein several hours following a workout during a special time of the day when protein assimilation is at it's finest. He got the latter part. Someone who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground probably told him something about ballistic stretching and he heard "...stretching...after workout....bad" and so he took it from there, and decided he knows everything. The fact that I've read around 40 books written by qualified professionals as well as watching several long and boring fitness workout tapes, and the fact that AkiraMusashi is illiterate and because he receives so much advice that he isn't willing to take, he has jabbed both of his eyes out with sporks, and types in brail. I'm not an expert, but AM's gains should speak for themselves, or should I say, losses?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast