Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Genius

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like mid-afternoon workouts. I'm not a morning person and if I work out in the evening, I can't sleep at night.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I workout during my lunch hour, then eat after that. I don't know how well that works, but it's the most convinent, which is more important than not doing anything, or going very inconsistently. While I've seen some good gains, I know I could do better, but right now I'm happy with the progress.

For me, there are other factors that also come into play. The biggest being diet. I don't keep track close enough, and I really don't go out of my way to balance the calories coming from fats, protiens and carbs. I'm on a lazy man's diet. Just cutting out as much crap as possible (I've switched to skim milk, no fat cheese, healthier cereals for breakfast, fruits for snaks, etc...). The other thing is my sleeping schedule. I do freelance work, and sometimes I just plain stay up late to watch TV (Tivo) or draw. I don't get as much sleep as I could, but that's because after working all day, then playing with the kids, feeding the family and getting everyone off to bed, I like some alone time.

I get about 5-6 hours a night, when I should be getting 8-9. I don't know how much it affects my training, but I'm sure there's some potential gains lost because of it. But at least I don't work out 6 days a week with a bunch of isolated lfts, so there are days where I do nothing (three or four days a week) and just rest when I get home.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should train strength when you feel the strongest. I personally don't feel that strong after sleeping. I like getting some food down me for a bit, it replenishes the muscles with glycogen, which helps you get to the end of your set.

Currently, I just train when I feel like it, if I haven't really had time to do anything through the day, I'll throw a big kettlebell about for a bit, then go to bed. I generally try and do at least some chinup variants and some handstands, and a little bit of kettlebell work on any given day. I think doing strength training before bed isn't generally reccomended; however I personally find that it works for me - although I don't train late every day.
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 6:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Ultimately, consuming less calories than we expend is what results in weight loss. Although it's true, it's also an oversimplification.

The question was "fat" loss, not "weight" loss. Fat/carb/protein ratios are very important when it comes to discriminate weight loss, or losing fat while building, or at least sparing, lean mass. That's why these ratios are so important to athletes, and perhaps less important for the average overweight person.

The running before breakfats theory has been around a long time and has to do with forcing your body to burn a higher ration of fat vs. glycogen. It may be true, I'm not sure, but like so many of these theories, there are other factors that aren't considered. I think AM touched on a couple of those factors.
    If you burn fat but not carbs, those carbs that you ate are going to turn into fat anyway. If you don't have carbs to burn, you're going to be burning muscle instead.

People without dedication like to make things complicated because they know that the only way it's going to work is if they have an edge, but it's more about your dedication than anything else. Otherwise frat boys with piss poor diet and lifting knowledge would stay skinny their entire lives, yet they are able to get fucking huge in only a year because getting those beach muscles is like their life purpose.
    Legendary Street Fighter

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you wake up, your body is in fasting mode, so even if you run or whatever, you won't be burning as many calories as you would've had you comsumed something. There really isn't any good reason not to fuel your body unless you want to look like a starved vagrant.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234