Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are partially right. The average fresh meat soldier would be trained first in sabre and stave, then spear. Those are the basics anyway. You wouldn't hand a noobie a 3SS and yell, "go!"

It takes about a year to pick this weapon up and use it well.

If you survived long enough you would eventually learn many weapons.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 10/13/2005 4:21pm at .

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:18pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Yes it has. Extensively. Not all asian weapons are farm tools. Thats the okinawan history. It has nothing to do with chinese military weapons.
    So there are records of it being used by soldiers in an army. Or perhaps murals? Vases? Cave paintings? Or better yet...

..vids? :icon_colo

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No vids, unfortunatley , but all of the above. Except cave paintings. this weapon was introduced during the Sung Dynasty circa 960 ad

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    So can a plain old regular flail , in addition to being much better for defense, able to hit harder, and more controllable.
    I don't understand your question. Would you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by isol8d
    We have a flail, called the di so gee. There is an old one for sale on ebay
    If that is what you mean by a regular flail, that is something I would call a 2 sectional staff. I don't really know which one is "better" because I'm not trained in that one either. One observation though is that the 3 sectional will work in long and medium range, while the 2 sectional is only long range. So if two equally skilled combatants went at it with these two weapons, I would put an edge on the 3 sectional for that reason.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:29pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of angles on the "3SS" isn't sucky logic line, one of which is actually an alteration on what I normally say to kendoka.

#1: If a weapon or style of fighting takes twice as long and isn't any more effective.. It's inferior.

#2: If you want to claim the 3SS is MORE effective than weapons that can be learned far more quickly, prove it. When a 3SS beats a flail, or a kau-sin-ke or hell, a SABRE. I'll consider altering my opinion on it.

An aside: Anyone who really wants to argue the whole "It just takes time to master it and then it's deadly." Delusion.. I give you.. the ladder-back chair.... IE Anything can be a nasty weapon if you spent decades learning to use it as one.

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! Oh boy!!! A weapon that has been around for a thousand isn't a novelty. Then I suppose you could just walk into a helicopter and fly it into Iraq. Or a tank even.

"#1: If a weapon or style of fighting takes twice as long and isn't any more effective.. It's inferior."

Even the simpler weapons take time to develope skill. A sucky swordsman is a sucky swordsman. it takes years to get "good" . Anybody can hack and slash blindly.

And how do you know it isn't effective?

"#2: If you want to claim the 3SS is MORE effective than weapons that can be learned far more quickly, prove it. When a 3SS beats a flail, or a kau-sin-ke or hell, a SABRE. I'll consider altering my opinion on it."

Dumbass, 9 section whip takes LONGER!

I love this constant dumbing down of things to meet the status quo here.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 sectional staffs are very practical weapons, you can carry them virtually anywhere, and if not, you can find them in every environment. Get into a fight at a bar and forget your 3SS? Look in the corner, there is one right next to the pool cues. In a brawl at the airport, look under the table, there is a 3SS right there!!

Hole in one.

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This flail is a short one handed weapon that would have to coupled with a sheild to be used effectively against a weapon that is end to end 7 feet long.

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:53pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL! Oh boy!!! A weapon that has been around for a thousand isn't a novelty. Then I suppose you could just walk into a helicopter and fly it into Iraq. Or a tank even.
    That's great, it's been used heavily and successfully in what wars? Sources please. And your helicopter or tank comment is inane as either are not purely weapons and are far MORE effective than weapons easier to learn.

Even the simpler weapons take time to develope skill. A sucky swordsman is a sucky swordsman. it takes years to get "good" . Anybody can hack and slash blindly.

And how do you know it isn't effective?
    I can train someone to be competent with a blade in six months. You say it takes a year to learn the 3SS and that's on top of time spent learning other things. I'm not even a fantastic teacher or an uber swordsman, but I can still teach people to be comepent and know what they're doing in less than a year.

As for how it's not effective. Did I say it's "not" effective? I said it was as effective as other weapons which take less time to learn and as such was less effective by comparison. Doesn't make the weapon itself worthless, just pointless.

Dumbass, 9 section whip takes LONGER!

I love this constant dumbing down of things to meet the status quo here.
    I can use a chain flail without too much hassle, same with regular old European flails, both the twin bar and the chain varieties. They weren't particuarly hard to learn other than learning to gauge your momentum and angling of where the weapon would go. But even then the things never fealt akward and off in my hands the way that broken stave does.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    Not true.

Numchucks are much worse. They are almost not even a weapon.

The 3 sectional staff has advantages. It goes around things. It can trap. Personally, I am not trained in the use of the weapon, so I can not comment any further. I have seen it used by someone trained in using it, and I would not discount it in capeable hands.
    that.
    Nunchaku can be used for trapping, and it can go around things. It's just a different range.

Nunchaku are also practical and can be found almost as often as 3SS's.
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast