One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by isol8d

I know a bench form, much like someone tried to equate this to. It's probably one of the most fun forms I know, because it is actually one of the more demanding, lots of swinging a large plank of wood and immediately changing its direction. Its useful on the street, well, if I lived in the early 20th century china.

Hell, most of my weapons forms are impractical on teh str33t, but I have fun training them.
    What's stopping you from using your bar stool? Or chair, coffee table, end table? In the same way.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think much of the point of the debate has been lost amidst various ass talking and emote swapping.

The question isn't (or shouldn't be) whether or not it is possible for someone to be a badass with a 3SS. I'm sure that given enough time and training and hard sparring etc, one could become very proficient at beating on people with a 3SS.

The real question ought to be why, other than pure stylistic reasons, would anyone want to put the time and energy into learning to use a weapon that they are essentially guaranteed to not have at hand in a confrontation, when with less time and effort they could master something practical like Kali or Arnis with a decent tactical folder that they can carry around every day.

If you want to learn 3SS cause its cool, or its traditional, or because you want to commune with your ancient ancestors, thats perfectly legit. But don't try and tell me that 3SS is a smart choice for a first or only weapon style.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:47pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork

You're just feeling all hurt feelings because you're a reneissanse nerd and you have to prove the superiority of your craft. dweeb.

This is funny. I cant speak for Bard, but I personally have no interest in the Renaissance/medieval period beyond wanting to practice and preserve our western martial heritage.

You should have a little more respect for your culture, learning impractical ancient kung fu weapons is every bit as dweeby as learning impractical ancient european ones.

Arent you supposed to be making a vid?

Fencing Instructor

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:07pm

Style: Sabre/Rapier/Katana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an SCA geek and a consumate Bard. It just had no relevence.

That's the REAL funny thing here. KFDS is complaining of US going Non-Sequiter.. Yet.

We discussed that the 3SS was inferior to other weapons, weapons which had incarnations in most societies. We never went on how European This or that was superior.. And then he leaps to trying to make this an arguement of pride in our heritages.. Which wasn't mentioned or even really implied. An Asian weapon was ridiculed, but it's not our fault that piece of dross is eastern. A european weapon was lauded better, but we study european weapons. I could easily make similar arguements for the nagi-nata or katana thrashing the 3SS, I just chose to stick with Sabres as it was simple.

And on the side, I love that he didn't leap to the whole nerd dimissal arguement till I suggested he sparred with one of us... Cute.

And Teh. Yes, in the right hands that thing is nasty. Of course in the right hands a Chair is a dangerous weapon too. ANYTHING can become a weapon with time and ingenuity, doesn't make them useful or practical.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Traditional weapons are fun to train...some have contemporary applications, however most don't.

Either way, it doesn't mean that you can't learn from them.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak

NO ANCIENT WEAPON IS PRACTICAL NOWADAYS.

The club and knife are the most ancient of weapons, and they are still practical.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuDoesWork
    Would me going there make you any less of a shithead? :jerkit2yf
    No, but it would show you to be wrong, after they handed your ass to you.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weapons are tools efficient at killing people. The more efficient, the better the weapon. The quicker I learn how to use it, it becomes even more efficient. If the weapon is easily portable, or I can happen to use a makeshift object to simulate it, it sweetens the deal.

If it takes me a year to become proficient to use a weapon, it's inferior to something I can learn much more quickly. If Bard can teach me how to properly use a sword faster than KFDW can teach me how to use a 3SS, the sword is a superior weapon.

Now, if you handed a sword and a 3SS to two people with no combat experience between them, the sword-wielder will win:

-Swords are simple weapons and everyone knows how to use one; pointy end goes into other man. You have little chance of actually injuring yourself if yourself with it unless you happen to be retarded.
    -The 3SS is complicated and you have a high change of injuring yourself when using it unless you have become very good at using it.

No common object is close to simulating the 3SS. It is not portable. It takes an extreme time to learn. It requires a good amount of space to be used. Therefore, it is inferior.
    :thefinger
    Last edited by Kistrael; 10/14/2005 12:33am at .
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    our western martial heritage.
    I didn't know peasants were even allowed to have weapons. Do you have a family crest? Are you from a noble house? "Our" indeed.

Please, your martial heritage doesn't go back any farther than the colt .45 peacemaker. That and greased pig chasing.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    No,....
    I thought not. :chewy:
Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast