Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 7:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Amp]A few truths about the 3SS:

1. It takes a LOT of practice to use successfully.
    Yes. Just like it talks a lot of time to learn to fight with your hands. You can drop out of the 6th grade with just enough math to get you by, but would you really want to?

2. It is fun to train with...but not that practical to use today.
    I don't see many people with flail or rapiers in their back pocket.

3. It is a cool weapon since it is one of a few that can be used for short, medium, or long range.
    Right on.........

4. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing...it can **** you up.
    you have no idea.

5. There are VERY FEW people who know what they are doing w/ a 3SS.
    yes and no. There a few but more than you think. I sure do.

6. You should wear a cup when practicing!.. and don't practice w/ 3SS made of hardwood.
    Only in the beginning. I didn't need gear after the first 3 months.

I have hardwood and waxwood both at 1 1/4 diameter. Big ones.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 7:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    You said yourself, it takes one year to become proficient with it enough not to hurt yourself. How long does it take to be able to fight with it after that?!
    At least you are good at dodging. :car3:

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 7:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bard of DorAr

Euro vs Asian isn't relevent. This is a crap weapon that take too long to train effectively versus a staple weapon that can be taught in around six months.
    You mean a sword. You don't read well do you....

" Actually you would have to learn the simpler weapons first anyway."

:lame:

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 7:53pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree with the few people here who say that in the hands of the RIGHT person the 3SS can be very effective. Having witnessed it HITTING things including people armed with staffs etc. It tends to be a weapon that one sucks or excels in.

Of course it's not a basic staple weapon that can be trained quickly for the average person. If that were the case then the ancient Chinese infantry would've been armed with 3SSs instead of strong (nonwobby) broadswords.

I also agree that it's especially not the most practical weapon as Thai pointed out since you won't find it anywhere, but then again I'll add...

NO ANCIENT WEAPON IS PRACTICAL NOWADAYS. You're never going to get in a sword/spear/flail fight of any sort. Whether or not the 3SS or the Katana is the MOST DEADLY MELEE WEAPON EVER (not saying one is) simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. :)

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 7:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You say it's a non-sequitor **** fets, and then proceed to contribute your own non-sequitor argument.....
    You are a savant . Unfortunatley an idiot savant.

non se·qui·tur ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nn skw-tr, -tr)
    n.
    1. An inference or conclusion that does not follow from the premises or evidence.
    2. A statement that does not follow logically from what preceded it.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're probably not too far away from the Dog Brother's Academy. Perhaps you can ask if you can show up to a gathering with your 3 section staff and compete.
    Would me going there make you any less of a shithead? :jerkit2yf

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bard of DorAr

PS: if you're old enough to be my father that means I'll have to retract my willingness to spar with you, I don't like fighting sixty-something year olds, it's not fair.
    Yeah it sucks getting beat by your daddy, bard.

:new_bdays

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:08pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    I'd have to agree with the few people here who say that in the hands of the RIGHT person the 3SS can be very effective. Having witnessed it HITTING things including people armed with staffs etc. It tends to be a weapon that one sucks or excels in.

Of course it's not a basic staple weapon that can be trained quickly for the average person. If that were the case then the ancient Chinese infantry would've been armed with 3SSs instead of strong (nonwobby) broadswords.

I also agree that it's especially not the most practical weapon as Thai pointed out since you won't find it anywhere, but then again I'll add...

NO ANCIENT WEAPON IS PRACTICAL NOWADAYS. You're never going to get in a sword/spear/flail fight of any sort. Whether or not the 3SS or the Katana is the MOST DEADLY MELEE WEAPON EVER (not saying one is) simply doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. :)

well put. I was going to post basically the same thing.

My system is known for it's forms, especially weapons sets. My sifu has an AWESOME 3ss form, and there are applications and uses that have not been discussed in this thread. They never need to be brought up. I've got money that no one on this site will be in a fight involving a 3ss.

I know a bench form, much like someone tried to equate this to. It's probably one of the most fun forms I know, because it is actually one of the more demanding, lots of swinging a large plank of wood and immediately changing its direction. Its useful on the street, well, if I lived in the early 20th century china.

Hell, most of my weapons forms are impractical on teh str33t, but I have fun training them.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Don't even go there, people use anchent weapons today in their crimes in this country. Knives, axes, machetes, swords, it still happens.

Though I am hard pressed to think of an occurance where some guy with a 3SS goes nuts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 8:12pm

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once in awhile, someone will join our school with previous martial arts experience.

One such a time, this guy was REALLY cocky, thinking he was the ****, while we were practicing flowers with our sticks. My sihing, picked up on this, and asked him if he could do 3ss. Sihing gets a 3ss off the weapons rack, and hands it to mr. cocky. Mr. Cocky starts slow and gets it going pretty well, until he messes up a tiny little bit and cracks himself in the head. It was heard throughout out school. the guy turned beat red and left our school not too long after.....
Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast