Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    What your feet do is every bit as important as what your hands are doing. You shouldnít stand in one place while you shadowbox. I know your videography resources are limited; but I would say that one cannot completely judge a video like this without seeing your footwork.

For me, shadowboxing isnít so much throwing combos one after another, as fighting an imaginary opponent. So Iím not just attacking, but defending and evading, constantly circling. Stitch attacks to blocks to develop counterpunching. Also I donít think there was a single body shot... Crash in and throw some left hooks to the liver.

I think for where he's at, he should really be concentrating on the basics (jab, cross) and not worry about too much at once. Trying to do everything before you really have a solid idea of how to do things is naughty.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fact, I'd recommend he shadowbox using JUST his jab for a while
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 9:58pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, in about two weeks i'll try and take a video that shows my footwork and i'll include pivots and kickss n stuff.
    i will seriously keep all of your suggestions in mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:32am

Style: Kung Fu, Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach taught me to hook with my palm facing towards my face, and my arm parallel to the ground. The advantage being that the bicep supports the fist when your palm is facing your body, as opposed to the ground. I've tried both ways, and I find that the palm facing the body works much better than the alternative.
    My coach, trained/managed Eric Morel (undefeated super-fly-weight boxing champion), and the USA Olympic Boxing Team for at least one year, so keep that in mind. Our method works. Jones, dude, this is for reference, and just to put my two cents in.
    I'm really drunk right now, so I apologize if this isn't completely coherent.
    Cheers,
    Will

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EinMensch
    My coach taught me to hook with my palm facing towards my face, and my arm parallel to the ground. The advantage being that the bicep supports the fist when your palm is facing your body, as opposed to the ground. I've tried both ways, and I find that the palm facing the body works much better than the alternative.
    My coach, trained/managed Eric Morel (undefeated super-fly-weight boxing champion), and the USA Olympic Boxing Team for at least one year, so keep that in mind. Our method works. Jones, dude, this is for reference, and just to put my two cents in.
    I'm really drunk right now, so I apologize if this isn't completely coherent.
    Cheers,
    Will
    I think it varies from coach to coach. My coach pwns your coach

6 times international chapion, #1 in the USA and world in 1986, and world champion finalist. Also fought proffessionally to become the WBA champion in 1990.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, for reference. Your uppercuts, from a boxing standpoint, look like ****. Bring 'em down to your hip and really whip those mothers. Remember, a right uppercut isn't all that different from a right cross, and a left uppercut isn't all that different from a left hook (the main difference is the arm movements, and the timing/effect). Also, extend your punches more. I'm no trainer, I need to see your feet, and more of your hips to comment further.
    Cheers,
    Will

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EinMensch
    Also, for reference. Your uppercuts, from a boxing standpoint, look like ****. Bring 'em down to your hip and really whip those mothers. Remember, a right uppercut isn't all that different from a right cross, and a left uppercut isn't all that different from a left hook (the main difference is the arm movements, and the timing/effect). Also, extend your punches more. I'm no trainer, I need to see your feet, and more of your hips to comment further.
    Cheers,
    Will

boy, your advice on uppercuts is COMPLETELY contrary to all the teachings I've ever had on uppercuts from EVERY instructor I've had. Uppercuts come off the chin, like any other punch. Not from the hip.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 10/14/2005 1:59am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 1:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I think it varies from coach to coach. My coach pwns your coach

6 times international chapion, #1 in the USA and world in 1986, and world champion finalist. Also fought proffessionally to become the WBA champion in 1990.
    I'm not trying to discredit your coach by listing my coache's credentials. All's I'm saying is my coach is a damn fine boxing coach, and a damn fine person. I wouldn't say your coach "pwns" my coach or vice versa; they teach two completely different styles. Besides, how well you perform in a sport has little to do with how good of a trainer you are. I prefer to keep my palm facing my head.
    If my replies seem a bit delayed, it's cuz I'm on an especially BAD dial-up.
    Cheers,
    Will

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:01am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea why you're moving the way you're moving. There seems to be a disconnect between the techniques you're throwing out with your hands and your footwork. There are really only a few times, for example, when you coordinate forward movement with forward attacks, IMO. Think about when you would move backwards, to the side, etc. and coordinate your attacks accordingly.

Watch counterpunchers like Roy Jones Jr. to see what they throw when they move in various directions, not to mention how they string combos together.

You'll have to take this with a grain of salt, as I'm a shitty boxer, but these are my impressions.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2005 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. You need to REACH with your jabs. The reason coaches tell you to hit with the last 3 fingers is because you get a better reach that way.

2. Stop turning your head on punches. This leaves you WIDE open for counters that you won't see coming which will result in a quick knock out.

3. When you punch and elbow, step forward and turn your shoulder into it.

4. You need to have a plan. Here you seem to be making up stuff as you go along. See 3-4 moves at a time. That way if you are able to you can fire off quick combos. Don't do the same combos over and over though.

5. Use footwork and explosiveness. Use your strength. Get your heartbeat up. Fire right and left hooks back to back and work on getting back into position for the next hook as quick as possible.
    Legendary Street Fighter
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast