Sponsored Links Spacer Image

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:14pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    oh yeah one last thing, you move your head too much. Your head should always be facing forward.
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. Now I am no Muay Thai expert but with all strikers I have noticed that moving your head is a great defense mechanism. By constantly moving you are not giving your opponent a stand still target. We are told to move our heads when not hitting and to move them when throwing a punch.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    I'm going to have to disagree with this. Now I am no Muay Thai expert but with all strikers I have noticed that moving your head is a great defense mechanism. By constantly moving you are not giving your opponent a stand still target. We are told to move our heads when not hitting and to move them when throwing a punch.

no no no, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. What he's doing is, when he throws hooks he turns his head along with his punch, which is bad. Head movement is good, but you should always face your apponent.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    From a boxing perspective, there's really no right or wrong answer regarding the palm in or palm down hook. Trainers teach either.

The hook is usually taught as palm down, and most amatuers do it that way. Most pros keep the palm facing the body.

If done properly, you'll ultimatley have more power with palm in, but it's a little more difficult to get the technique down properly so that you score with every hook that way. With palm in, there's a tendancy, especially with beginners, to connect with the wrong part of the hand. That's why amatuers will usually use palm down as it's more likely to be scored that way.

Also palm in protects your ribs better. The window for a rib shot is much larger when using palm down. Palm down also doesn't flow into combos as well.

However, palm down works really well for many fighters.

I think though that for muy thai, palm down would make more sense b/c of the potential of throwing an elbow. Just a guess though, I've never trained muy thai.
    Lawdog is right. You can learn either or.

I was taught to do palm up or down, either or, both. At first my instructor told me to do which ever felt most comfortable, then I was told to learn both ways as different situations require different angles.

I have seen some instructors teach one way exclusively, but it does not matter. However as noted, each have their benefits over the other and its in your best interest to learn both.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no no no, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. What he's doing is, when he throws hooks he turns his head along with his punch, which is bad. Head movement is good, but you should always face your apponent.
    Well in that case I agree with you. Turning your head in with a punch is a big no no. We had a guy break his nose doing this at my gym 3 weeks ago. I can't view the video , I just interpreted what you said as if moving your head in general was bad.

Genius

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You look extremely stiff, like a robot. Relax more, work on your body mechanics. Rotate into the strikes more and raise your shoulder of the striking arm.

Keep your head pointed forward when you are striking so you can see any counters and if you get hit, it's on top of the head, not your chin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:31pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the difference might be that I'm learning from a boxing coach, who's teaching punching techniques with the gloves so breaking the pinky isn't so much of a worry. All I know is that for straight punches he greatly stresses turning your fist over to hit with those last 3 knuckles.
    I was also taught this, with the intent of smashing the fist through the target in a powerful explosive manner that comes from good body mechanics.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:47pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright guys, I'll work on this, if anybody sees any more just post it here
    I'll post another one in about a week to show progress

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 3:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about this whole "hitting with the pinky" theory of yours, but I think it's contrary to the teachings of boxing which promotes hitting with the last 3 knuckles instead of the first two.
    Hence the term "boxer's fracture" a fracture of the 5th metacarpal, a common occurence on saturday nights.

Hitting with wraps+gloves on is a different story though.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No
    Hence the term "boxer's fracture" a fracture of the 5th metacarpal, a common occurence on saturday nights.

Hitting with wraps+gloves on is a different story though.

boxer's fractures are actually more commonly described by a fracture of the metacarpal connecting the ring finger to the wrist. They happen when you hit things harder than your hand. I don't think it makes much difference wether it's with the first 2 knuckles or the last three, as the "boxer's fracture" happens with any of the metacarpals, not just the one behind the pinky.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2005 4:03pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    boxer's fractures are actually more commonly described by a fracture of the metacarpal connecting the ring finger to the wrist. They happen when you hit things harder than your hand. I don't think it makes much difference wether it's with the first 2 knuckles or the last three, as the "boxer's fracture" happens with any of the metacarpals, not just the one behind the pinky.
    Yes, though some doctors refer to them as Boxers Fractures, the one and only time I got one my doctors first question was "do you Box?"

Though obviously, good technique and conditioning decreases the chances of a fracture occuring (despite the fact you're learning to put more and more force through your bones) a fracture is still reasonably likely for you to fracture a metacarpal due to their delicacy when fighting bare knuckle and hitting solid areas. Such is like, and considering you start to lose bone density from the age of 17(or 21, can't remember got distracted in class) you better have drunk your milk and taken your calcium tablets kiddies.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast