Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 9:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    Well my ju jitsu is mma to the gyst of it, but i havn't been there for like a month and i gotta wiat like a week till results from a biopsy come back, i gotta really nasty skin rash on my leg and arm, My instructor has spent like whole classes with me on boxing basics and stuff, but like you said I'm really new to this.
    heres some questions ronin
    How are my hands to close to my face?
    for my elbows in, do you mean just keep em compact in and pointed down?
    Never noticed the shoulder thing, i'll be sure to work on it.
    my knees are prolly stiff, I didn't move my lower body hardly cause the room is small and the cam sucks.
    How can I improove upon my elbows there?
    I work on the body behind my shots
    I didn't really pivot for this video, although I do need to work on it.

Thanks tons ronin and everyone, I need to get great form and stuff.

Look at the pics of great pro boxers and amat, boxers, their hands are up, BUT not that close to their face.
    Every coach as a preference for hand spacing and hand height, some want them by the chin, some a temple height, most of the time it depends on how longer your arms are.
    You want them to be at a height to protect your chin, but not so hight that it leaves your ribs open.
    In regards to placement away from your face, NO closer than a "thumb", in other words, make a fist and stick ot your thumbs, if they touch your face, that is close enough ( I persoannly like them a "fist space" from my face at the closest).

When you punch, your elbow is the first thing to move/come up, that is no good, the pucnh shoudl explode from where the elbow is, the elbow whoudl NOT be raised to where the punch is going.
    Especially on the hooks, more so on the lead hook.
    Your elbows come up and out when you jab and cross, ANOTHER BIG NO-NO !
    It telegraphes AND leves your ribs open to counter hooks to the body.

In terms of keeping your elbows in to protect your body, there is always a natural gab between the body and elbow, the arm can't come down in a straight line obviously, but we try to keep the elbow pointed down as comfortably as we can.
    Easier to protect and block the body shots.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 9:31am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K thanks, could you elaborate on me telegraphing my crosses and hooks?
    im not exactly getting what your sayin, are you saying i motion my punches leading them with my elbows?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 9:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    K thanks, could you elaborate on me telegraphing my crosses and hooks?
    im not exactly getting what your sayin, are you saying i motion my punches leading them with my elbows?.

Yes, before you punch, instead of the fist moving first, the elbow moves, it comes UP and out.
    A very bad thing.
    But very common.

What you need to think of when you hook, for example, is to explode from your whole body and drive youir elbow into the target, the fist, by consequence, moves first and through the target.

Now, you may think, " if I think elbow, won't IT move first?".

You will actually notice your strikes being tighter and cleaner, as you focus on driving the elbow which in turn drive the fist.

Jab for example, many people jab like thet are fling boogers off their fist, a jab is a powerfull, explosive shot, the elbow expoldes OPEN and THAt drives the fist like a piston, which along with the right foot work, makes the jab a Head Snapper.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 1:09pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kid, I have never been taught by anyone to hit with my last two or three knuckles, ever- especially not when I have no gloves on.

And hammer punches don't count.

Just listen to Ronin, he knows more than me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 1:28pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    clearly ronin knows much much more than i do on this subject. that is some great advice. i would be stupid to argue with what he is saying.

i just wanted to say that kidspatula is right that most boxing coaches will teach you to hit with your bottom 3 fingers. i personally like to hit with the middle and ring fingers though. it just feels much more natural, and it is very easy to break your pinkie if you punch somebody without gloves on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 2:29pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Ronin has pretty much owned the thread with his solid advice and experience, but:

You're too...frigid (sorry, not really any other word comes to mind) you seem inflexible and slow, you need to loosen up those shoulders and hips and more fluidly, basicly you should be sort of.."relaxed" and suddenly explode foward everytime you punch.

Your hands are too close to your face in my opinion, anybody having a psychotic frenzied attack (admittedly, the way I often box, fast hard and psychotic..just...in a technical way) can really keep you on the defencive and stop your hands from firing out.

You almost look..uncomfortable due to your elbow blacement, relax them into position enough for them to protect your ribs.

Your hooks and elbows need to be way more tight when you throw them, you get alot of wasted motion there, and listen to Ronin about telegraphing, you're really opening yourself up to aggresive counter punches.

Out of interest, how long have you been training?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:19pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I can tell, you have a lot done right, but that's not really what you need to hear to improve.

Looks like you stop your straight punches way before you need to. It could be specifically for shadow boxing so that you don't risk a (very minor) hyperextension of the elbow, but even then you can go out a lot more than that. It also seems like you practice purely head hunting. I have heard for MMA matches that body shots aren't too important, but you should probably mix some in there anyway. You explained that you weren't able to move much due to space, but I like to practice coming in on just about every kind of shot so should that oppertunity present itself that it's not a whole new idea to me. A lot of them I've never used, but leading off with a hook against an opponent stepping in can be a pretty big wake up call if you catch them just right.

Just keep at it though. Your kept your hands up and you work at getting better. What more can a person ask for?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:23pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say that body shots aren't that important for MMA, just that against a decent grappler you don't have as much time to work the body as you would in Boxing.

Hell, in most Muay Thai matches due to the inclusion of elbows, knees and various kicks, not to mention the clinch, you don't have that much time to work the body.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 3:58pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys, I need every little tip y'all can give me, I appreciate it.
    Any tips on me relaxing my shoulders?
    lol they are so tense.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 4:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Tenshi
    Kid, I have never been taught by anyone to hit with my last two or three knuckles, ever- especially not when I have no gloves on.

And hammer punches don't count.

Just listen to Ronin, he knows more than me.

the difference might be that I'm learning from a boxing coach, who's teaching punching techniques with the gloves so breaking the pinky isn't so much of a worry. All I know is that for straight punches he greatly stresses turning your fist over to hit with those last 3 knuckles.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast