Posted On:
    10/18/2005 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    DB bench press:

Palms in/out/upside down with a side order of fries.

This is what you do, put your hand on your right pec, press it in, now extend your right arm, ala one arm press, make sure the pec is contracted fully, now rotate your wrist and tune your palm in, out, whatever.

Notice any difference? any CONSIDERABLE difference in the feeling of your pec?
    Actually I do. I feel more of a contraction when my palms are facing away, then again I'm a freak.

I'm not so concerned with that though, b/c I agree that it's probably negligible. I'm more concerned with which position causes less wear and tear on the shoulder joint.

I also wonder if for a striker it would be better to keep palms facing each other and elbows in tight to the body in the down position, then rotate palms out at the top of the lift to closer mimick a punch. Muscle memory, motor skill training. Just a thought, I doubt it would make much difference. Although, we all know how different it is benching or doing a pushup with the elbows tucked against the body as opposed to winged out.

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 10:31am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    Success, an update with questions!

Tonight was the first night I tried doing what was reccomended. The PT session was garbage, but no biggy. 3x10 DL with just the bar, very careful with form. 3x10 assited pullups (8lbs) because there's no way I could do that many without help. I tried to figure out the benchpress power rack sort of thing, but ending up failing with that, so just used dumb bells instead because I could just drop them if I needed to. 1x10 at 20lbers and then 2x10 at 25lbers. Am I at a disadvantage using dumbells instead of the bar? With the dumbells is it better to have my palms facing down or towards eachother?

I'm going again thursday and planning on doing squats, chin ups and I guess overhead press. I'm a bit worried about lifting weight above my head, but I guess it's just another job for the power rack. For most of the exercises I didn't go anywhere near failure (did with pull ups), but I felt that the biggest workout I was getting was in my forearms. Having never lifted I guess my grip is pretty weak. Next time I do those exercises I plan to add just a little bit more weight to each lift still working on form more than anything.

I'm going to the store tomorrow to pick up a few things and thought I'd pick up some whey (as reccomended). Should I be having whey on off days as well or only lifting days, and could anyone reccomend a brand that they think tastes good?

Thats all for now, thanks for being so helpful everyone.

I would just like to take the opportunity to be a shameless pimpdaddy:

Visit www.crossfit.com and check out their workout methods, message boards, and general philosophy of fitness. There is a ton of good material their for helping you with fitness/exercise and diet, and the Crossfit methods are perhaps the best I've ever seen with regards to a workout program that is the most complimentary to martial arts.

-daGorilla

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I also wonder if for a striker it would be better to keep palms facing each other and elbows in tight to the body in the down position, then rotate palms out at the top of the lift to closer mimick a punch. Muscle memory, motor skill training. Just a thought, I doubt it would make much difference. Although, we all know how different it is benching or doing a pushup with the elbows tucked against the body as opposed to winged out.
    That's what I do, but more for my shoulders instead of "punching form". While it's similar to punching form, I don't think it's close enough to matter. For me anyway, since my punches are relaxed, and my shoulders are higher to cover my chin while actually punching, and if I did DB presses like that I'd probably drop one on my face.

I keep my elbows out a little with the palms facing each other at the bottom and turn them at the top. I don't know why I turn them, but it makes the lift easier for me (perhaps from all that punching? :) ), but at the bottom if my palms aren't facing each other, I tend to slack on form and bring my elbows up/out too far and it causes a lot of stress on my shoulders, which I don't feel until the next day when I wake up (in the joint).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 1:57pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to a local super market and to a cvs and the only whey I could find was http://www.e2health.net/index.asp?Pa...ATS&Category=6 Oxefit. I have no idea what constitutes a good whey powder so I didn't buy this stuff. Should I stop by a GNC to see what they have? The nearest GNC is about an hour away for me and doesn't really seem worth the trip unless this oxefit buisness is no good.

Any previous experience with this stuff or recomendations of what to get at a GNC?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lies. I know that before I get any form down I should clearly do 15X10 with 400% of my 1rm. Also for max gains I should eat nothing but aspargus and drink nothing except my aspargus colored urine. This diet will surely prevail against the evils of the world.

After 12 days on the GJ workout plan...

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 2:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    After 12 days on the GJ workout plan...

Puny Mortal.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    That's what I do, but more for my shoulders instead of "punching form". While it's similar to punching form, I don't think it's close enough to matter. For me anyway, since my punches are relaxed, and my shoulders are higher to cover my chin while actually punching, and if I did DB presses like that I'd probably drop one on my face.

I keep my elbows out a little with the palms facing each other at the bottom and turn them at the top. I don't know why I turn them, but it makes the lift easier for me (perhaps from all that punching? :) ), but at the bottom if my palms aren't facing each other, I tend to slack on form and bring my elbows up/out too far and it causes a lot of stress on my shoulders, which I don't feel until the next day when I wake up (in the joint).
    My guess is that keeping the palms facing each other is better for your shoulder joints. Your experience would support that, but I haven't looked into it as much as I should, so it's possible your experience is unique, although I don't think so.

However, I'm also fairly sure it focuses a bit more on the triceps and a bit less on the pecs, just like the difference between a bodybuilder benching style vs. a power lifter benching style. But in my opinion, that would be a good thing.
    I went to a local super market and to a cvs and the only whey I could find was http://www.e2health.net/index.asp?P...CATS&Category=6 Oxefit. I have no idea what constitutes a good whey powder so I didn't buy this stuff. Should I stop by a GNC to see what they have? The nearest GNC is about an hour away for me and doesn't really seem worth the trip unless this oxefit buisness is no good.

Any previous experience with this stuff or recomendations of what to get at a GNC?
    I would try to find a Vitamin Shoppe or one of your other discount supplement stores. Optimum Nutrition is probably one of your better protein powders, especially for the price. It tastes pretty good and mixes well. I'm currently taking Iron Tek "100% protein"' b/c it's a blend and I can't stand 100% whey protein. Also mixes well, tastes good, and reasonable, although a little more expensive than ON.

I'm not sure it makes much difference really which powder you take, as long as there isn't a bunch of extra crap added to it. I'd still try to get most of your protein from "real food" if you can. Learn to love eggs. That's probabaly the best source of "real food" protein and not too expensive. Throw in some cheese and spinach and make an omlette. Easy, fast and cheap.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/18/2005 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GNC blows. Look online. ON Whey protein. Mixes easily and it's inexpensive.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456