Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 11:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, he said he wants functional strength, and he mentioned that he's a beginner? Alright, the best way for you to begin really depends on the gym your going to. If it's a more wussified gym, then you might find a swiss ball lying around, that would be good. Replacing the bench with a swiss ball in certain lifts is very good, but you have to remember to replace the barbell with dumbells.

In the beginning, no matter what you do, you'll gain great amounts of strength, both functional and otherwise, and you'll get a surge of growth as well. That's because in the beginning your learning neuromuscular control, and your body's getting used to regularly administered stress. Maximize the beginning phase by making the excercises harder to neuromuscularly control.

Adding factors like balance and the individual control of each dumbell will maximize your gains in this early period. But if your gym's less wussified, you can use the cable stations in the gym instead of dumbells. If your gym's just shitty as hell, you'll need to use dumbells and bench. The only supplementation you need to maximize the beginning phase is a multivitamin, whey protein and creatine. You'll maximize the growth of your muscles in this short neuromuscular learning period with these supplements.

Eat some carbs and protein before working out(a cheap prepackaged marathon bar and health shake combo will be optimal, 30 minutes before hitting the weights), and a shake containing at least 25g protein and 5g creatine, with some milk and a banana and such, within an hour of working out to make protein synthesis(a period of time after you workout in which your body either begins to eat the muscle because it expends more energy than everything else or, given the proper nutrients, it begins to repair the muscle and make it better, because it can now support it).

Warming up is another issue. You can get a good general warmup with 5 minutes of constant movement, just make sure the warmup matches the activity. You can hop on the treadmill and jog for 5 minutes if your doing only lower body excercises, but if your working the upper body I would suggest you get your upper body moving. Either re-inact the Napolean Dynamite dancing scene, or just shadowbox for a good 5 minutes. You can even hop on one of those machines with arms, like the ellipticals.

You'll need to follow a simple 3X10 lifting protocal, w/3 minutes of rest between sets, full body workouts. Squat, bench, dip, chinup, deadlift, hanging oblique leg raises(or knee raises), unanchored situps, plank. You'll need to work your transverse abdominus in the beginning, so you can eventually handle heavy weights on squats and deadlifts without hurting yourself. Do 15 minutes HIIT between lifting days. Let someone else explain HIIT and the TA. I'm going to bed. Drop me a PM if you need anything else. I'm always here... in spirit.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sooo... How are those single arm unilateral barbell movements going, Bao?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 12:10am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been real excercise programs a consecutive 10 weeks of this whole year, and I constantly maintain an awesome six pack of abs, and low amounts of visible body fat, and for the past month I've been in florida, I've been largly inactive, I eat only an average of twice a day, and I usually end up eating pizza, and my abs are still there. I heard you weren't going to post your ugly mug back up on this site until after your next training program, since you took it off your public profile because an 18 year old boy insulted you. How's that been going down? Do you finally have your body fat under control? Are you all lean and cut up and **** now? Have you increased your bench press, dead lift, and squat lifts to astronomical sums? That declaration was months ago, aren't you done yet? When can I have the pleasure of vomiting on my keyboard when I see your ugly face?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 12:23am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was it Akira Musashi or someone else who snaps lesser men in half with his bare eyelashes? I get all the big strong men here mixed up sometimes.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 12:47am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I've been real excercise programs a consecutive 10 weeks of this whole year, and I constantly maintain an awesome six pack of abs, and low amounts of visible body fat, and for the past month I've been in florida, I've been largly inactive, I eat only an average of twice a day, and I usually end up eating pizza, and my abs are still there. I heard you weren't going to post your ugly mug back up on this site until after your next training program, since you took it off your public profile because an 18 year old boy insulted you. How's that been going down? Do you finally have your body fat under control? Are you all lean and cut up and **** now? Have you increased your bench press, dead lift, and squat lifts to astronomical sums? That declaration was months ago, aren't you done yet? When can I have the pleasure of vomiting on my keyboard when I see your ugly face?
    What was your deadlift again? :5dunce:

It's not all about looks, dude, it's about results.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo

Bodyfat= 7.1%
    Deadlift- 370
    Squat- 410
    Bench- 230

I see you're still madly in love with me.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Bodyfat= 7.1%
    Deadlift- 370
    Squat- 410
    Bench- 230

I see you're still madly in love with me.
    Akira,
    Your lifts all have 5 extra pounds on them.

At first I was thinking that you're sliding 2 1/2s on next to your 45s or 25s. The image of (4) 45lb. plates, then a little 2 1/2 on the end was funny. It reminds me of what I used to do in high school, trying to squeeze out every last pound to get the max up as high as I possibly could.

Im thinking maybe that's the weight of the collars? I don't usually use collars, so I don't know what they weigh, but 2 1/2 sounds about right.

Is that the deal?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 8:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    Sadly all local MA places have contracts and I am planning on leaving for college in the next few months, so it looks like I'm going to join a gym this week so I can get something done. I have never been to a gym, although know the names of most lifts and have read many threads before making this so that it's not a total waste of time. Although a lot of those degenerated into flame wars of sorts and it was hard to get anything useful out of them in later pages. But I digress.

I am looking to gain functional strength and increase size. I know that the advice for that is to go for free weight compound lifts, high weight, low rep. I've never really understood when someone says something like 8x5. Is that reps and sets? With that out of the way, what should I be going for in terms of reps and sets? What exercises should I do if I want to hit my whole body? Off hand I know the benching, squatting, deadlifts and chin ups are some of the lifts of choice. Seems like abs are missing from that equation unless I do what I believe are called gorilla chin ups. Medicine ball sit ups, or is there something better? As a note, I feel that I am inflexible, but decently strong for my weight. I've had tendonitis in my legs before and still haven't recovered much lost flexibility. I plan on taking yoga to help out and to do stretching heavily after lifting, but in the mean time, if that restricts some lifts, keep that in mind you helpful bunch.

Am I correct in assuming to figure out a 1 rep max that I get a spotter and keep lifting until I can't or feel I can't? For my goals of size and strength, what % of the 1 rep max is recomended? Warm ups also confuse me a bit with weights. I've seen a whole bunch of different methods listed for warming up. I would easily sacrifice faster gains for safety.

As I understand it, nutrition is a huge part of the size gaining equation. I am a lightweight at around 140 - 145 and can't eat too much without getting full. Yes, I am a little girl when it comes to eating, except on rare occasions where food is all you can eat. So any supplements reccomended for giving me a big boost of protein and calories? I know Knightmare recomended something in a recent thread, but I'd like to get a general opinion

Last but not least, I am going to be shown around by a personal trainer (free one time thing) to learn how to lift properly. I know to start lighter so that I can get down proper form down first, but hopefully this trainer fellow will be helpful enough to address any of the many questions I have. Are there any good sites that show good lifting technique in detail?

That's about all for now. I know it's a bit of a tall order, but having done some research I think I provided the nessecary information. Please let me know if I forgot something important, and thanks for the help.

What other activities do you do and how much ?

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:31am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin
    What other activities do you do and how much ?
    I am guessing you mean physical activities. Right now I don't do much of anything. Probably shadow box for about half an hour or so a day enough to get a little bit of a sweat going, but not high intensity. Before joining the gym I was hitting my pillow of a heavy bag just about every day working on my cardio by doing rounds with pretty good intensity and seeing how long I could last. Other than that, a few BWEs through the day and on some days I practice some basics on my home made grappling dummy so as not to lose all knowledge of how to grapple.

Unfortunately I spend most of my days writing, re-writing and contemplating what to write in college essays. Thankfully I should be done with them by mid october and I will finally be able to take a break.

Posted On:
    10/12/2005 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    I am guessing you mean physical activities. Right now I don't do much of anything. Probably shadow box for about half an hour or so a day enough to get a little bit of a sweat going, but not high intensity. Before joining the gym I was hitting my pillow of a heavy bag just about every day working on my cardio by doing rounds with pretty good intensity and seeing how long I could last. Other than that, a few BWEs through the day and on some days I practice some basics on my home made grappling dummy so as not to lose all knowledge of how to grapple.

Unfortunately I spend most of my days writing, re-writing and contemplating what to write in college essays. Thankfully I should be done with them by mid october and I will finally be able to take a break.

Since you don't have any extra physical stuff on your plate, you are pretty much ok to do any of the routines suggested.

But if you are interested in functional stength and power, naturally, no additives, know what I mean?, then the first step is to find your 2 rep Max ( I have never had that much faith in 1 rep max), then work in the 85% -90% range.
    Concentrate on the compounds and "natural lifts" such as Squats, DL, Dips, overheads, you can add some bicep curls ( when you wanna lift your lady and take her to bed) and maybe some calf raises ( so you don't look like a chicken).

In the end, the simplist way to choose functional exercises is to see what "mimics" everyday ****, like lifting up groceries and babes ( curls), holding up drywall over your head ( overhead raises), getting your sorry ass out of a chair with a 300lbs woman on your head ( Squats), getting off your ass in general (dips), lifting heavy ass **** ( Deadlifts).

As for reps and sets,,, we can go on and on and on for ages !!

When you are gonna do 85 -90 of your max, you are NOT gonna be able to do many reps anyways, so,,, see how many you can do in good form ( not everyone can go to failure), but always try to do as many reps as you can.
    When you go over the 5 rep mark, add more weight next time.

The key is progressive resistence, you must add more weight, WHEN YOU ARE ABLE TO, to keep getting stronger.

Teh rest, in terms of how many sets and hom m any times a week, is soemthign you are gonna have to play with till you find the perfect match.

One thing though, WARM UP THOSE MUSCLES !!!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast