Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 1:01am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh boy! Another help me start lifting thread!

Sadly all local MA places have contracts and I am planning on leaving for college in the next few months, so it looks like I'm going to join a gym this week so I can get something done. I have never been to a gym, although know the names of most lifts and have read many threads before making this so that it's not a total waste of time. Although a lot of those degenerated into flame wars of sorts and it was hard to get anything useful out of them in later pages. But I digress.

I am looking to gain functional strength and increase size. I know that the advice for that is to go for free weight compound lifts, high weight, low rep. I've never really understood when someone says something like 8x5. Is that reps and sets? With that out of the way, what should I be going for in terms of reps and sets? What exercises should I do if I want to hit my whole body? Off hand I know the benching, squatting, deadlifts and chin ups are some of the lifts of choice. Seems like abs are missing from that equation unless I do what I believe are called gorilla chin ups. Medicine ball sit ups, or is there something better? As a note, I feel that I am inflexible, but decently strong for my weight. I've had tendonitis in my legs before and still haven't recovered much lost flexibility. I plan on taking yoga to help out and to do stretching heavily after lifting, but in the mean time, if that restricts some lifts, keep that in mind you helpful bunch.

Am I correct in assuming to figure out a 1 rep max that I get a spotter and keep lifting until I can't or feel I can't? For my goals of size and strength, what % of the 1 rep max is recomended? Warm ups also confuse me a bit with weights. I've seen a whole bunch of different methods listed for warming up. I would easily sacrifice faster gains for safety.

As I understand it, nutrition is a huge part of the size gaining equation. I am a lightweight at around 140 - 145 and can't eat too much without getting full. Yes, I am a little girl when it comes to eating, except on rare occasions where food is all you can eat. So any supplements reccomended for giving me a big boost of protein and calories? I know Knightmare recomended something in a recent thread, but I'd like to get a general opinion

Last but not least, I am going to be shown around by a personal trainer (free one time thing) to learn how to lift properly. I know to start lighter so that I can get down proper form down first, but hopefully this trainer fellow will be helpful enough to address any of the many questions I have. Are there any good sites that show good lifting technique in detail?

That's about all for now. I know it's a bit of a tall order, but having done some research I think I provided the nessecary information. Please let me know if I forgot something important, and thanks for the help.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 5:24am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your diet is going to be the most important. You will have to eat a lot more than you're used to if you want to gain weight. It's not uncommon for small guys to work hard in the gym yet only gain a couple pounds due to their diet being piss poor.

Foods you can eat are calorie dense ones such as oatmeal, peanut butter, fast foods, mac & cheese, and ramen. Also eat a lot of protein rich, low carb foods as those are usually not very filling. You can also buy a weight gainer but those are mostly sugar. Get Muscle Milk instead since it has a lot of good fats.

As for the routine, for the most part it doesn't matter what routine you follow. I have people use a sports specific routine but for someone completely new to lifting I would suggest something a main compound lift followed by isolated lifts which help that compound lift, using a 3x8 (3 sets of 8 reps, 1-3mins rest in between sets) and doing the moves slow and controlled, contracting your muscle at the top of the lift and hold 2 seconds. Doing them this way will teach you the movements and prevent injuries. Use the same weight on all sets. A lot of people take it easy on themselves when pyramiding their weights across sets. Using the same weight will force you to move it. Doing them slow and controlled, you won't realize how heavy the weight is until you've done your first set and by that time you're stuck with it.

Before each exercise you'll want to warm up doing 10 reps with light weight. You should also warm up the rotator cuff first by doing 2-3lb external rotations or arm circles every day.

The thing with abs is that you don't really need to work them all that hard. They're the easiest muscle to make grow, it's just tough getting the fat off your stomach to make them show.
    Legendary Street Fighter

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good site that shows lifts in detail:
    http://www.exrx.net/

Also read this intro to lifting from sherdog, specifically the eating and the rest sections.
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...hreadid=197034

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 10:00pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Good site that shows lifts in detail:
    http://www.exrx.net/

Also read this intro to lifting from sherdog, specifically the eating and the rest sections.
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...hreadid=197034
    I read through the sherdog thread before (when searching for answers) and it is a great read. I should've really bookmarked it, and now I have thanks to the linkage.

The first site has some really nice explanation of differences between cleans and jerks and all the other lifts I really had no idea what anyone else was talking about. Good stuff.

Still looking for a bit more help with this stuff, maybe I'll fire off some PMs to some of the gym junkie members.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 1:08am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you've never done any real lifting, then I would suggest trying what I did.

Stick with a few compound lifts and just start real light to get the form down, but I picked up a book that was suggested called "The Insider's Tell All Handbook to Weight Training Techniques". Long title, but the book is full of compound lifts and how to do them properly. It's written for beginners, so all the lifts in there are fair game for you.

I don't know what to tell you as far as rep schemes go, but the form for the lifts is more important now. I would get started on that right away (light weights of course), instead of waiting for someone to finally post something here that doesn't cause a lot of thread derailing and arguments.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 2:25am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz

I am looking to gain functional strength and increase size. I know that the advice for that is to go for free weight compound lifts, high weight, low rep. I've never really understood when someone says something like 8x5. Is that reps and sets? With that out of the way, what should I be going for in terms of reps and sets? What exercises should I do if I want to hit my whole body? Off hand I know the benching, squatting, deadlifts and chin ups are some of the lifts of choice. Seems like abs are missing from that equation unless I do what I believe are called gorilla chin ups. Medicine ball sit ups, or is there something better? As a note, I feel that I am inflexible, but decently strong for my weight. I've had tendonitis in my legs before and still haven't recovered much lost flexibility. I plan on taking yoga to help out and to do stretching heavily after lifting, but in the mean time, if that restricts some lifts, keep that in mind you helpful bunch.
    8x5= 8 sets, 5 repetitions. You need a basic fitness routine to provoke your CNS to start metabolic changes. So your repetition/set scheme should be something around the area of 3x10 with your basic lifts. This should be done for a good 4-6 weeks. After that, things get more complicated with periodization, depending on what you're going to focus upon, what your micro/meso/macro cycles are like. Do a search for Wave Form Periodization, you'll find a weekly routine that I made based upon a study that Jwinch had sent me. That's an advanced lifting form for hypertrophy/maximal strength building. With your 3x10, You can break those up into one set of DB presses, one set of flat presses, etc. I'd try to hit each compound lift twice a week for the first 3-4 weeks and then back it off once a week. Start with a basic 3x10 and then ascertain where you want to go from there. After that we can guide and modify your diet/fitness plan based on your goals. Alright, as for abdomen training, it's not needed if you're doing compound lifts. I never do abdominal work anymore as the big three use your core intensely. Occasional core strength exercises days are fine for a change, but don't think you need to pound away doing worthless abdomen exercises. Remember hypertrophy and progressive resistance is needed to make the core stronger, specifically focusing upon the abdomen with endless crunches, etc. is only going to slow down your recovery and weaken your other lifts for the day/week. Along with this, some machines allow for increased resistance to the abdomen, this can cause herniation as the stress is directly upon the abdomen. Let the big three do the work. Tendonitis of the legs, I know exactly what you mean, being that I am predominately left legged, I get this wonderful tendonitis in my patellar tendon, IT caused me to have to stop squatting last year for a while. The way to combat this is a wide legged competition squat stance. Legs need to be a bit past the shoulders, and make sure the feet are turned in. This will take pressure off of that area. Also, myofacial release of the calves help enormously. Stretching blows and it's boring. the MR imo is the quickest way to increase flexibility and to release knots formed in the muscles from stress. When you do stretch and do your MR, do it before you go to sleep, not directly after you lift, one's muscles are extremely tight after a lift and forced stretching can tear the muscle. As for Yoga, if you want to be able to put your head in your crotch or to see your own anus from the underside, then by all means go for it :toothy2:

Am I correct in assuming to figure out a 1 rep max that I get a spotter and keep lifting until I can't or feel I can't? For my goals of size and strength, what % of the 1 rep max is recomended? Warm ups also confuse me a bit with weights. I've seen a whole bunch of different methods listed for warming up. I would easily sacrifice faster gains for safety.
    If you're power lifting period, you need a spotter. Otherwise you can't push yourself with nearly maximal weight. You need specific goals before we can give you an answer and as for your 1rm, that's a crapshoot, size means nada. I bench 230ish, and I squat 405. So you can see where I'm gifted, where I'm not and what my focuses are upon. A "warm up" is simply getting your muscles a little heated (yes, I actually mean that) to allow for more blood to be flowing to the area. I usually do a set of five with a low weight. A warmup can be simply walking, etc. There's no set way to do so. Warming up won't affect your gains directly, it'll just prevent injury from extreme contraction under a nearly maximal weight.

As I understand it, nutrition is a huge part of the size gaining equation. I am a lightweight at around 140 - 145 and can't eat too much without getting full. Yes, I am a little girl when it comes to eating, except on rare occasions where food is all you can eat. So any supplements reccomended for giving me a big boost of protein and calories? I know Knightmare recomended something in a recent thread, but I'd like to get a general opinion
    Alright, no one says you have to eat a whole cow per meal. It's TOTAL protein and calorie intake for the day that you should be focusing on. This can be as simple as an extra granola (cardboard) bar, sandwich, cup of yogurt, etc. per day. Eventually you'll begin to eat a lot. I personally don't think I eat much, every one else I run into thinks I eat more than most dinosaurs did. Break up the calorie intake through out the day. No supplements yet. Get into lifting first, then we'll touch that when you're ready. Whey Protein is fine for now, one scoop with 1% milk should do you well per day.

Last but not least, I am going to be shown around by a personal trainer (free one time thing) to learn how to lift properly. I know to start lighter so that I can get down proper form down first, but hopefully this trainer fellow will be helpful enough to address any of the many questions I have. Are there any good sites that show good lifting technique in detail?
    I hope your PT is worth his salt, most are develop mentally retarded when it comes to anything concerning exercise. Bodybuilding.com, I believe is a good site that has pictures of correct form. A long with this, if you have a camera and want a friend to take shots of you, I'll be happy to tell you if you're doing proper form or not. Also, form isn't rocket science, don't be too worried about it. You'll get it with practice

:XXknight:

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I'm new to all this too...what's an MR and an IT?

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Myofacial Release is a deep tissue massage that releases the knots within tense muscles. It can be done with a foam roller or your female. IT was a typo =-)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Crazy Monkey, BJJ, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, o.k.. I too like to roll my female beneath my sore body, didn't know it was socially acceptable.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    I've never really understood when someone says something like 8x5. Is that reps and sets?
    Yep, reps and sets. 1x20 is one set of 20 reps, 5x5 is five sets of 5 reps, etc.

What should I be going for in terms of reps and sets?
    For functional strength, I personally prefer to go no more than about 6 reps. 4x6, 5x5, 8x3, 5-4-3-2-1, and singles are my usuals. I usually use at least 2-3 sets of each for warm-up sets, sometimes with 5x5 and 4x6 just being all warm-up sets and the last one being my actual work set.

What exercises should I do if I want to hit my whole body? Off hand I know the benching, squatting, deadlifts and chin ups are some of the lifts of choice. Seems like abs are missing from that equation unless I do what I believe are called gorilla chin ups. Medicine ball sit ups, or is there something better?
    I'll share some of my favorite ab exercises then. Saxon side bends (basically side bends but with the weight over your head like you're doing a dumbbell press), decline situps with plate held over your head (regular and twisting), leg raises with a dumbbell between your feet, hanging knee/leg raises, and stomach vaccuums. I've had great results with all of them.

I plan on taking yoga to help out and to do stretching heavily after lifting, but in the mean time, if that restricts some lifts, keep that in mind you helpful bunch.
    Good idea. My flexibility or lack thereof is a weakness of mine too, especially in my legs so I'm working on that myself.

Am I correct in assuming to figure out a 1 rep max that I get a spotter and keep lifting until I can't or feel I can't?
    You can do that, there's also some calculators out there that use a good formula. I'd drop about 15-20 pounds off of what they say to be realistic if you use that method.

For my goals of size and strength, what % of the 1 rep max is recomended?
    At least 70% 1RM. Below that is a bit too easy, but you usually don't want to go too much higher than 95% 1RM, which should be for singles only and as your last one in a set.

Warm ups also confuse me a bit with weights. I've seen a whole bunch of different methods listed for warming up. I would easily sacrifice faster gains for safety.
    I usually take about half of what my work set is going to be and work up from there. For instance, say you're doing 4x6 and your max is going to be 365 that day in the deadlift. I'd probably go 180, 240, 300, and 365. That just works the best for me, with some experimenting you'll see what's good for you.

As I understand it, nutrition is a huge part of the size gaining equation. I am a lightweight at around 140 - 145 and can't eat too much without getting full. Yes, I am a little girl when it comes to eating, except on rare occasions where food is all you can eat. So any supplements reccomended for giving me a big boost of protein and calories? I know Knightmare recomended something in a recent thread, but I'd like to get a general opinion.
    Start breaking up your meals so you're eating about six times a day. Eat something small each time so you'll be able to eat it each time.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast