Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 12:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NINJAS!! In my home town no less!! - Ya think Ashida sent them for me??

Well.... where to start. I have discovered a nest/ warren of Ninja's in my very own home town! Curious to see what everyone thinks of this.
    My main concern was over the pictures in the "Ninja Camps" and "Other" sections of the image gallery below:

http://www.kokuryunz.co.nz/images.html

But I do have to say that their pricing ( $85 per year) if I read that right isn't a bad deal for any training. Also, since discovering this coven of the dark arts, I have conducted a few enquiries and have heard that his kickboxers are reasonably well reputed.
    Further to my enquiry, I have learned that the instructor has been kicking around (no pun intended) for quite some years now. Apparently he came out from Australia teaching something called "Kevin Hawthorne Ninjitsu". Then he started calling it names ranging from "tettsui ryu" to "yushin ryu". He then apparently went overseas for a while and then came back. Now it's "Kokuryu".

Anyway, the pricing leads away from McDojoism in the common sense of the word as does the kickboxing, but I just can't get those unbelievably..... um...... fishing for the word....... unbelievably off putting ninja pictures. Although during my research, I have come across people familiar with thgis site and they say that only a few months ago there were far more and far worse Ashida esque images....

But anyway, I open the floor to opinions on this group..........

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 12:49am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What an extremely strange website!

On the one hand they have ninjas in full gear posing on rocks, and crunched down so low in some kind of stance that says, "STOMP MY KNEE PLEASE!" but they also have a cage, and training in muay thai. Odd ambiguities. And I click on the grappling link, the first picture is some kind of retarded, "HEY PASS MY GUARD!" armlock attempt, but then follow up with decent underhooks and an armbar.

I don't know what to say here. Check it out and report back I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:18am

Style: BJJ/Maai Hyoshi Bujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting.
    Where abouts are they-North or south island?

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:23am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps the Ninja thing is just a marketing gimmick?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude! He won the kumite! I wonder if he had to fight Frank Dux...

EDIT: oh wait, he only got 6th place...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya know I'm kinda confused. There's a grappling class, but the one and only instructor doesn't appear to have any kind of certification in brazillian jiujitsu...

the also claim to teach a variety of styles including "vale tudo" and "shootfighting"... regardless of the fact that neither of those are styles...
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:46am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    History of Ninjutsu

Ninjutsu was developed in Japan many years ago, back when the Samurai ruled the land. After many years of being taxed and hassled, some farmers decided to fight back against the warlords.

Using existing tools from the garden, and also inventing some new ones, these people became experts in weapons. Using these weapons and the Chinese and Japanese martial arts, they began to devise their own style.

In developing Ninjutsu, these people (the 'Ninja') became experts in espionage and assassination, and worked for whichever warlords paid them the most money.

After ruling for many years, the Ninja were hunted down and almost died out. All except a few families' styles that survived and are kept alive today by dedicated students who train and pass their knowledge on.

The various styles that exist in Ninjutsu today, originated from different families and the areas that they came from. These different styles are known as 'Ryus'.
    http://www.kokuryunz.co.nz/history_of_ninjutsu.html

well you see they fixed all the questions I had right here in the history page . With a " Sensei and Sempai " like that ... wow all of my questions have been answered ... well most of them anyways ...

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:47am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    ya know I'm kinda confused. There's a grappling class, but the one and only instructor doesn't appear to have any kind of certification in brazillian jiujitsu...

the also claim to teach a variety of styles including "vale tudo" and "shootfighting"... regardless of the fact that neither of those are styles...
    not all grappling is BJJ ...

and thank you very much but one member here has a black belt in vale tudo ... so * sticks out tongue * it must be a legit style ...

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 3:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    not all grappling is BJJ ... .
    Sorry, didn't word that right. The class consists of BJJ and other stuff, but he doesn't have any bjj certification... or judo or sambo or anything... unless "ninjitsu" supposedly covers all of this (which I didn't think it did).

Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey

and thank you very much but one member here has a black belt in vale tudo ... so * sticks out tongue * it must be a legit style ...

yeah... :icon_shak

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 7:14am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Might just be a name recognition issue.
    At our school, Combative Submission Wrestling is taught but that's very likely to get blank stares, so it's advertised as Vale Tudo class or talked about as the Shootwrestling class. Same goes for the Jun Fan class and just calling it Jeet Kune Do.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast