Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2003 9:55pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, just not a really good fighter.

I've spanked more monkeys than you can shake a stick at. Or is that I've shook more sticks than you have spanked a monkey? ****!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    4/05/2003 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He may or may not be.
    Its just that the other guy was better.

--------
    Make friends with them until they beg for mercy.
    --------
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 2:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finger,

Zito knocking Van Damme out proves nothing, you are right. Getting knocked out by a talented boxer/Black Belt/Hell's Angel is nothing anyone should be too ashamed of ..

its Van Damme's crappy movies that should make him ashamed. :)

Grappler,

I've read Wong's side of the story and I've seen testimony on tape by Linda (who was at the fight) and Bruce Lee (talks about it during a TV interview) and honestly, I really don't think Wong's story holds much water.

Anyone can say later that they were holding back or bla bla, if Bruce told lies about him then why didn't he call him out and expose him while both guys were still alive? He didn't.

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 5:29am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would face bruce lee if i had the chance.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 5:36am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but when your bodyguard knocks you out for acting a prick, he must have thought he was bad ass.

==================
    A man without a plan, is not a man...

Nietsche
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    4/06/2003 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks 9chambers.

Movie Quote: http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=603&view=1 - Full Metal Jacket
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2003 12:00pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Dirty Dozen" are the twelve guys who challenged Segal.

Here's were you can find an article about it in Black Belt Magazine:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1992/apr92/dirtydozen/dirtydozen.html

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    4/09/2003 3:39pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A kickboxer by the name of Lee Murray KO'ed Tito Ortiz at a pub in England shortly after UFC 38.

Don "The Dragon" Wilson has issued challenges to Royce Gracie and Van Damme in Black Belt magazine.

That Dirty Dozen challenge to Seagal is probably my all time favorite. Anyone remember their motive? I do. They wanted to beat Seagal down for saying that Chuck Norris' movies suck. Like who hasn't already said that?!

On his website, Jason Delucia also claims to have challenged Seagal (but was turned down).

Ken Shamrock publicly challenged Tank Abbott at Ultimate Ultimate 1996. Tank refused and Ken went to the WWF. I guess Frank Shamrock also challenged Tank. SEG offered to set up the bout as part of the HW tourney at UFC XIV, but both fighters would only do it if it was a single bout.

Hmm.... I'm sure there are a lot of others.... Royce Gracie challenged Mike Tyson in an issue of BB. Helio challenged (then) HW boxing champ Joe Louis. I wish someone from the clan had challenged Bruce Lee.

I believe Frank Shamrock also challenged Jason Fairn because Fairn had called Ken "Captain Underpants." I'd have to check with Frank on that to make sure. I was sitting with Frank at The Contenders when Andre Pedeneiras had lost to Townsend Saunders. Pedeneiras' camp raised his hands as if to say he was robbed. Jaoao Roque shouted, "JIU-JITSU!" And Frank shouted, "Go blow it out your ass!" Jaoao got this pissed look and searched for whoever told him off. When he realized it was Frank, he ran off. John Lewis was really pissed about the judges' decision and called out John Perretti. John told him, "You'll never fight in one of my shows again." John replied, "You don't have any shows." Shortly after that, Perretti became the UFC's new matchmaker.

"Strike first! Strike hard! No mercy, sir!"
  9. 9chambers

Posted On:
    4/10/2003 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to go old school, here are Musashi's challenges as listed by the man himself in the intro to the book of 5 rings:

"From youth my heart has been inclined toward the Way of strategy. My first duel was when I was thirteen, I struck down a strategist of the Shinto school, one Arima Kihei. When I was sixteen I struck down an able strategist, Tadashima Akiyama. When I was twenty-one I went up to the capital and met all manner of strategists, never once failing to win in many contests.

After that I went from province to province duelling with strategists of various schools, and not once failed to win even though I had as many as sixty encounters. This was between the ages of thirteen and twenty-eight or twenty-nine.

When I reached thirty I looked back on my past. The previous victories were not due to my having mastered strategy. Perhaps it was natural ability, or the order of heaven, or that other schools' strategy was inferior. After that I studied morning and evening searching for the principle, and came to realise the Way of strategy when I was fifty.

Since then I have lived without following any particular Way. Thus with the virtue of strategy I practise many arts and abilities - all things with no teacher. To write this book I did not use the law of Buddha or the teachings of Confucius, neither old war chronicles nor books on martial tactics. I take up my brush to explain the true spirit of this Ichi school as it is mirrored in the Way of heaven and Kwannon. The time is the night of the tenth day of the tenth month, at the hour of the tiger."

* For more on his duels see the translators intro here:
    http://www.samurai.com/5rings/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2004 2:25pm

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I heard a story that one of the Shamrocks knocked Van Damme out, in front of Scores?

Also, Sifu Chen saw the BL vs. WJM fight. I will look for the article... there is a good writeup on this. IMO, which is based on my reading... BL lost and lost hard on his ego. It was after this fight that he took up his intense training regimen which ultimately was a factor in his death.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast