Page 3 of 3 First 123

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was only considering Kung-fu really.Sanda never crossed my mind when I started eventhough I remember post on this old thread long ago I don't know why.Oopsie!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But does San Da/Shou look like real Kung Fu?

Obviously, my idea of what kung fu is limited and tainted from the movies and videos I see on the internet, so when I see San Da it looks like kickboxing with throws, it's not the stylized fluid movements that I'm used to seeing in videos of kata and demonstations.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't get the download to work, but I am virtually certain it is the same clip that pops up every 3 or 4 months, even on Bullshido. If it's not, my apologies. So here's the scoop, cut and pasted from a previous post of mine.

The Shaolin vs. TKD tape was filmed for a Korean television variety show. It was simply a light contact demonstration of what today's Shaolin looks like in competition with a known quantity (TKD) in Korea. The Monk is Shi Xing Hong, who is widely regarded as one of the most proficient Monk practitioners of Shaolin Chuan Fa Taolu (forms). It has been explained to me that the TKD practitioner is from a University TKD squad. Not professing to know much about the stylistic fighting of the TKD gentleman, I can say unequivocally that the Shi Xing Hong is utilizing techniques that are well-known to Shaolin practitioners from that style's taolu, since that is his forte. These would not be all of the same techniques that would be utilized in Sanda or Sanshou, but are merely techniques that utilized within the forms.

What is clear from the film is that Shi Xing Hong is simply toying with an over matched opponent, while utilizing flowery punches and embroidered kicks.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Real Kung Fu" shouldn't look like what you've seen in movies just like "Real Muay Thai" shouldn't look like it came from Ong Bak. So yes San Da/Shou is "TEH REAL" kung fu. ;)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    san da looks basically like muay thai to me
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I typed San da for a google search and I came up with this first find

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/

All you guys have to do is determine for yourselfs if its Muay-thai or a chinese re-imagined style.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I typed San da for a google search and I came up with this first find

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/

All you guys have to do is determine for yourselfs if its Muay-thai or a chinese re-imagined style.

the impression I get is that san da is the muay thai of china. I don't think it's been around very long.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it hasn't.I think I remember someone saying it all started in the '70's when some Wing-chun guys went to compete against Muay-thai fighters and lost.

A few years later San da was born.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that sounds about right. I think until fairly recently, kung fu has been largely limited to wushu styles by the chinese government.

EDIT: I'm sure we'll hear something about it from KFDW shortly anyway

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my fight summary:

TKD: I KICK YOU! No, you ran away.

SL: I SLAP KICKS AWAY! And then run away.

TKD: I kick again! And you run away.

SL: Now I kick you! Oh, you ran away.

And so forth.

I just want someone to punch the other one. Surely, by Odin's mighty raven, one of them could punch the other one.
    --
    L.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    that sounds about right. I think until fairly recently, kung fu has been largely limited to wushu styles by the chinese government.

EDIT: I'm sure we'll hear something about it from KFDW shortly anyway
    San shou as a sport, circa 1979 thanks to PRC.

Bareknuckled fights on a lei tai predate this by hundreds of years.

Nowadays, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that san shou is to kung fu what kickboxing is to karate.

Although, all of the people I know who train in San shou, also train some form of kung fu.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, that ballet sucked.
    I much prefer the Nutcraker.

Page 3 of 3 First 123