Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 3:51pm

Style: Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Focus mitts

I'm considering buying a pair of focus mitts, but i have afew questions before hand.
    As far as I understand focus mitts are used to practice striking moving targets and pratice switching between targerts. What kind of drills do you do with them? Do they help to improve hand speed? Are they just for punching or are they good for other techniques?

Thanks

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 7:11pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus mitts are great with a good feeder, but suck really hard with a bad one.

The most obvious thing to do with them is drill some punches and punch combos. Mitts aren't for power punching, they're for timing, don't blast them full on, but don't pansy slap them either.

They are also excellent to work blocking, dodging and so on. A good feeder can make using the mitts one step below real sparring. You hit, they fire back, block, counter, etc.

You can work kicks, knees and elbows on them, but they're not designed to be hand held heavy bags. It's much more of a timing thing, so when you kick them, don't blast.

As far as increasing speed, doubtful. It's much more of a timing and technique thing. Speed could be increased by bettering your technique or percieved speed could be faster because you're hitting at the right time, but you probably won't get "faster".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 8:04pm

Style: Not currently training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about Thai pads? I was thinking of getting myself a pair.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    8/16/2005 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same as boxing mitts.As said above, they are great...WITH A GOOD FEEDER.Otherwise they don't help much.Get a good tape on the use of mitts/pads.
    I love Mitts and after years have developed a pretty intricate way of using them to prepare a fighter for MMA that combines punches, kicks, knees, clinch, shooting, even groundwork.
    Erik Paulson has a good tape on alot of this.His vale tudo instructional tape.I started with that, then it evolved over years.
    A key is to remember that the feeder is your opponant.The session is a simulated fight.Bad feeders are stationary.Good ones move around and strike at you.Making you block, slip and counter strike.The feeder should keep it simple at first just a few combos, and he should mix em, up and break his rythem like in a real fight.He should also remember to put his hands down between combos.Then lift em up, a combo comes.Then his hands go down, maybe he makes the puncher defend strikes.Then a new combo.
    Stationary robotic feeders suck and could make Roy Jones jr look bad.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 12:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal
    What about Thai pads? I was thinking of getting myself a pair.
    Thai pads are instrumental for kicks and knees, but they aren't nearly as good as focus mitts for punching. They are too heavy (slow) and inflexible.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 12:40am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    having done mostly TMAs, focus mitts were so BLODDY BORING! Like Gypsy J. said, they only work with a good feeder.

since i've started kickboxing/MT, mitt drills have taken on an entirely new meaning for me and I LOVE THEM! the instructors and other advanced students are great feeders. there's nothing like a friendly smack upside the head when you're gassing out to remind you to keep your hands up.

as a relatively new user, i don't know any drills other than punching combos for focus mitts. those videos sound good though. If i had someone at home interested in drilling, i'd get thai pads (if you can afford them). they are harder to use for punch combos alone, but the benefit of being able to to do punch/heavy kick combos would definitely be worth it.

I'd go on but i think i'm just gonna end up spewing exactly what Gypsy J. said. That was an excellent answer GJ.

Strong machine, how do you incorporate mitts into groundwork?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 9:53am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I purchased a set of Everlast's Mantis mitts. They're beautiful.

Focus mitts are also especially good in boxing for working punch counters, but that requires a highly knowledgeable coach.

For example, with both fighters in orthodox stance, the coach swings the left pad to mimic a hook to the body, which the fighter blocks with their elbow and a slight sideways bend while keeping their guard up. Immediately, the fighter counterattacks with a right uppercut, which the coach catches with his right pad held so that the palm faces down to catch the punch.

I will emphasize that bad coaches/feeders utterly suck, causing injury or arguably worse: Bad habits!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    I purchased a set of Everlast's Mantis mitts. They're beautiful.

Focus mitts are also especially good in boxing for working punch counters, but that requires a highly knowledgeable coach.

For example, with both fighters in orthodox stance, the coach swings the left pad to mimic a hook to the body, which the fighter blocks with their elbow and a slight sideways bend while keeping their guard up. Immediately, the fighter counterattacks with a right uppercut, which the coach catches with his right pad held so that the palm faces down to catch the punch.

I will emphasize that bad coaches/feeders utterly suck, causing injury or arguably worse: Bad habits!
    This is the correct!

I can't speak to kick boxing, but from a boxer's perspective, the focus mitts are maybe the 2nd most valuable tool (right behind the heavy bag). They are used to improve your entire game. Foot work, combos, blocks and counters, technique, speed, timing and balance. And I think I'll mention footwork again, just for emphasis. Really everything but power, but even power indirectly benefits due improvements in everything listed above.

The problem though with ordering a pair yourself is what has already been mentioned. You need a good, experienced partner/trainer in order to use them properly. So, if you don't have one, or someone willing to put in the time to learn, then, you're probably better off just hitting the heavy bag. :boxing:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 11:35am

Style: Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    The problem though with ordering a pair yourself is what has already been mentioned. You need a good, experienced partner/trainer in order to use them properly. So, if you don't have one, or someone willing to put in the time to learn, then, you're probably better off just hitting the heavy bag. :boxing:
    I have a friend whom i think may be qualified. I'll also look into the videos mentioned to see if they'll be enough to get me started. If not i'll probubly just stick to the heavy bag and do some extra hands only sparring. Thanks for allyour help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2005 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feedback
    Thai pads are instrumental for kicks and knees, but they aren't nearly as good as focus mitts for punching. They are too heavy (slow) and inflexible.
    But they do give a little more resistance, so that could be a pro.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast