Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 1:53am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do a set of bench then compound set it with dips. Just make sure nobody is watching in case you have to collapse like a heap. Oh, and don't let you head hit the dip bars on the way down.

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 6:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dips (weighted dips) have been called the upper body squat.

Nuff said.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I did the upright rows. Or maybe I did upWRONG rows, because they hurt my shoulders. Maybe I was using too much weight, but at 45lbs to warm up, I doubt it. Front and lateral raises hurt my shoulders too, so I think it's just me. Umm... suggestions? I'll try them again next time, with lower weight and see what happens...

PL
    Actually, based on what you were squatting, I think 45 lbs. probably is too heavy for you. If you're doing them with control, it isn't a high poundage lift.

As far as front and lateral raises, once again, if doing them with control, we're talking about very light weight.

What do you mean when you say "hurt"? The last thing you need right now is to injure a rotator cuff. If it's just fatigue, then back way down on the weight and just be patient. Building strength, unfortunately takes a lot of patience.

If it's a deeper pain, then I wouldn't do it at all for a little while to make sure there isn't a problem like a type III Acromion.

If you start doing dips and bench in the same workout, heed this advice from Quickfeet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quickfeet
    Just make sure nobody is watching in case you have to collapse like a heap. Oh, and don't let you head hit the dip bars on the way down.
    Today 12:02 AM
    :laughing4
    That's funny. You have no idea how many times I've almost ended up in a heap below the dip rack. When I was young and stupid (rather than old and stupid, like now) my gym was really old school with these old wooden floors. Every time I'd drop with a 25 lb. dunmbell around my waist, the floor would break a little bit.

We used to always squat until failure as well. The final rep always ended with me dropping into the "pit" with a huge crash. Combine all that with the olympic lifters throwing all that weight around, and the gym was a noisy place back then!

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 8:15am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a suggestion, rain won't fucking kill you.

In fact, it makes you stronger.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 10:25am

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's sad but I've noticed that in the past few years, most gyms no longer have a simple V-shaped dip rack. Instead gyms have the bullshit Dip / Pullup combo machine that requires the removal of the assist lever and which is too small to use. Plus, it doesn't have the V-shape so you can't move laterally on the rack for different sets.

Another rant: WTF is with only having DBs up to 100? I've had managers tell me that it requires more insurance to have them or that only a few companies in the world make them now or blah blah blah. I remember all gyms had them back before Oprah ruined everything.

Sorry for off topic rant.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 10:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quikfeet509
    It's sad but I've noticed that in the past few years, most gyms no longer have a simple V-shaped dip rack. Instead gyms have the bullshit Dip / Pullup combo machine that requires the removal of the assist lever and which is too small to use. Plus, it doesn't have the V-shape so you can't move laterally on the rack for different sets.

Another rant: WTF is with only having DBs up to 100? I've had managers tell me that it requires more insurance to have them or that only a few companies in the world make them now or blah blah blah. I remember all gyms had them back before Oprah ruined everything.

Sorry for off topic rant.
    Don't even get me started. I could rant for hours about gyms today. Most are a fucking joke!!!! And yeah, WTF is up with those gay ass dip racks. And the even bigger question is why do I hardly ever see anybody doing dips or pull-ups, yet the line for the bench press looks like a ride at Disney.

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 10:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Don't even get me started. I could rant for hours about gyms today. Most are a fucking joke!!!! And yeah, WTF is up with those gay ass dip racks. And the even bigger question is why do I hardly ever see anybody doing dips or pull-ups, yet the line for the bench press looks like a ride at Disney.
    Because people are pussies !!

Me dip ? my word, that rather difficult, I prefer to lay on my back like a good whore.

Me Chin ?

Why that is for people without latpulldown machines, its barbaric and antiquated.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 11:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Because people are pussies !!

Me dip ? my word, that rather difficult, I prefer to lay on my back like a good whore.

Me Chin ?

Why that is for people without latpulldown machines, its barbaric and antiquated.
    Yeah, I know that's the reason. You see it everywhere, not just the gym. What sucks though, is that the gym used to be like a refuge from pussified society, now it just belnds right in. Look at the people at most gyms today, and you'd think you were at a country club.

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 11:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember the LAST time I went to a gym, Bally's, that cock-n-***** fest.
    I did squats, weighted dips and weighted chins that day.
    390 on the squats, dips with 85lbs on the dip belt and chins with 65lbs ( bad bicep).

The squat rack had cobwebs ( it didn't but you get the idea), people came by with comments:
    Shoudln't you put on a belt?
    You'll hurt your knees.
    That is bad for your back.

Dips:
    Oh, I always wondered what that thing is for.
    That's for the triceps, right?
    Shoudln't you go ALL the way down?

Chins:
    The pulldown machine is easier.
    Careful, you can hurt yourself.

ASSHOLES !!!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) PO9, when it rains, the handle bars are slippery. Doing dips is hard enough without having to worry about your wrist slipping and breaking off. :(

2) I always thought you do compound, THEN isolation? I did dips first, then supplemented with BP.

3) Doing uprights hurts my joints. I can tell it's joints. It's always hurt like that. Maybe just too much weight. I'll do less next time. Should I do front raises too/instead? Or stick to uprights? I can get to about nipple-level before it starts to hurt.

4) That's why I just work out at home. Sure, I don't have the new-fangled mid-row and lat pull down, and leg extension/curl machines, but no dumbasses but myself to bother me.

PL
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast