--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dips and Benchpress in Same Workout?

I was thinking about adding bench press to my routine, and ultimately have:

Overhead Press

Dips

Bench Press

Weighted Chin and Pull ups alternating.

Would it be worth it, or should I just stick to dips by themselves? My dip "station" is outside (my dad somehow attached it to my heavy bag stand, if you remember it), so when it rains I switch to bench. But I'd do both if it would help. Any suggestions?

Can't do leg work for a while. :(

PL

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done both my whole life. They aren't exactly comparable, just very similar in the muscles worked.

My personal opinion is that dips are better. The truth is that the bench is one of the least practical of all the compound lifts, but I like benching, so I've always done it.

To answer your question, there's nothing wrong with doing both, and I think alternating them is a good idea.

You might want to add some upright rows and bent over rows to your workout as well. If you do upright rows though, be sure to keep your hands about a foot apart and don't wing your elbows up at the top of the lift, keep them down, as it's hard on your rotator cuff if you wing them up too much. Also stop at your upper chest, don't bring the bar up to your nose like I've always done. Once again, bad for the rotator cuff.

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your dad? How old are you? And how can't you do leg work? You can always rehabilitate through leg curls and extensions. There are 2 ways to do a dip: Straight up or with a forward lean. The latter works the chest more, the former works the chest less. But I would suggest you do a forward lean, and hang some weights from your crotch, and skip the bench. The only thing you need to do to that workout is add a pulling shoulder excercise so you don't end up pulling your shoulder blades forward and looking like a caveman, because of the strength imbalance between the front and rear shoulder heads. And maybe add hanging oblique leg raises and a superman, since you "can't do leg work".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:41pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of dips because it really helped my benchpress, mainly keeping my arms straight and not lopsided. I'd suggest varying it between angled and straight though, so you work your triceps a little more, unless you do something else for them.
    Last edited by Deliciousness; 10/04/2005 9:43pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suggest trying to fit benching in if you can. I neglected it for too long and now My arms, which I have always worked on at least a bit, are quite strong and my chest is not. It is especilly hard when you don't have a spotter, which is usually the case for me. I was always doing dumbell presses and flys, but that was it, now I change it up and do regular benching and butterfly cable pulls., then switch back next gym day.
    Chest takes a long time to build when you are only pumping iron casually. Keep on it. I don't think you are trying to put on mass, if I am right, I say just plug away at it.
    As for dips, I don't see why you can't do them in the same workout. I would do them after the benching when you start off though.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:44pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    your dad? How old are you?
    Don't you know? The age of the average Bullshido member is about eleven. You're probably one of the oldest people here, so be sure to rub it in everyone's face.

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:44pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    I suggest trying to fit benching in if you can. I neglected it for too long and now My arms, which I have always worked on at least a bit, are quite strong and my chest is not. It is especilly hard when you don't have a spotter, which is usually the case for me. I was always doing dumbell presses and flys, but that was it, now I change it up and do regular benching and butterfly cable pulls., then switch back next gym day.
    Chest takes a long time to build when you are only pumping iron casually. Keep on it. I don't think you are trying to put on mass, if I am right, I say just plug away at it.
    As for dips, I don't see why you can't do them in the same workout. I would do them after the benching when you start off though.
    Blasphemy. Take your hardgainer philosophy elsewhere. No man with testicles has trouble building his chest.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blasphemy. Take your hardgainer philosophy elsewhere. No man with testicles has trouble building his chest.
    Hey man, I am open to suggestions. I don't want a fucking barrel chest, but it would be nice to be able to do reps of 200lbs.
    Anything to suggest? Remember, I work out alone most of the time.
    Edit- I don't want to hijack PL's thread. PM me if you want.
    Last edited by OZZ; 10/04/2005 9:55pm at .

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 10:12pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your dad? How old are you? And how can't you do leg work? You can always rehabilitate through leg curls and extensions. There are 2 ways to do a dip: Straight up or with a forward lean. The latter works the chest more, the former works the chest less. But I would suggest you do a forward lean, and hang some weights from your crotch, and skip the bench. The only thing you need to do to that workout is add a pulling shoulder excercise so you don't end up pulling your shoulder blades forward and looking like a caveman, because of the strength imbalance between the front and rear shoulder heads. And maybe add hanging oblique leg raises and a superman, since you "can't do leg work".
    My knees hurt when I WALK, I'm not going to touch them for now. Besides, doc said NO LEG EXTENSIONS.

I do dips with a lean. I wanted to know if I could do that AND BP. Lawdog said yes, so yes it is! Frankly, I have more trust in him than you. :P

Overhead press is shoulder... But I'll add upright rows too. Thanks.

PL

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 12:02am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did the upright rows. Or maybe I did upWRONG rows, because they hurt my shoulders. Maybe I was using too much weight, but at 45lbs to warm up, I doubt it. Front and lateral raises hurt my shoulders too, so I think it's just me. Umm... suggestions? I'll try them again next time, with lower weight and see what happens...

PL
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast