Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:08am

Style: bagua taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Method2Madness
    i highly doubt that this guy has the real Native American martial arts. I know that native american warriors trained in wrestling, like most cultures do, but i don't think they had a systemized martial art.
    i highly doubt you know what the fu(k you're talking about.
    this guy says he learned apache survival and knife fighting skills from his
    grandfather on the reservation. you obviously don't have a clue how these
    people live. i live in oklahoma where there are more native americans than
    any other place. these people still speak their native languages most of
    the time, eat their native foods, and generally live the way of their ancestors.
    (with the exception of the random trans-am on blocks in the front yard)

apaches WERE great guerilla warriors. that is a WELL known fact. they WERE
    known for their knife fighting skills. (geronimo had a really bitchin one)
    there's no reason whatsoever to think that this man's grandfather wouldn't
    have taught him something that he considered to be important to his heritage.

anybody notice his photo with oleg taktarov and another one with dog brothers??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:15am

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i know that they were great warriors, but i didnt know that they were known for their knife fighting skills. You have taught me somthing and for this i thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:19am

Style: bagua taiji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want to have an idea about how these people lived (and often still do)..
    read geronimo's autobiography... here's one.
    http://www.nativeamericans.com/Geron...ache%20Indians

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'll do that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:28am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Apache Knife fighting seems bogus

I agree Gorilla, I just find it sketchy to say that it is based on the techniques of Apache warriors. I would have to research it some more but I would think that a) the Apache did not have a writen language to pass on their fighting system. b) contact with the invadeing white folks was disasterous for the Apache. So you take the period when the Apache society was at its height, sometime before 1870. (1870 is the year that the US army defeated the Apache.) lets say that they developed that system before this time. If there was a war with the US those who fought would have been treated very poorly if they were captured. (probably would have been killed on the spot) this leaves less warriors to pass on their craft. Still it is possible an old "master" survived the war. Then lets say that he passed his style down to a few students before he/she died. That gets the legacey of the school to some where around 1920ish. Assumeing then that this Redfeather fellow is a member of the same tribe or whatever he could have been the one who reveived this system. That is looking at it form a very asian martial arts view. It is more likely that when he was a kid his uncle tought him how to knife fight and created a system out of it and called it Apache knife fighting.

As for the rest i cannot say that he is bullshido based on his web sites. The school where I train has the worst site design possible IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:41am

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by angel_07
    the time, eat their native foods, and generally live the way of their ancestors.

apaches WERE great guerilla warriors. that is a WELL known fact. they WERE
    known for their knife fighting skills. (geronimo had a really bitchin one)

anybody notice his photo with oleg taktarov and another one with dog brothers??
    All Native American factoids aside; how do wo know the part about the knife fighting system being passed down from his grandfather to him is really true? I don't totally discount the possibility, but it seems a more than little hokie to me. I think that Planktime's suspicion may be more accurate.

The pictures were fine. All they really prove is that he was at the same place, at the same time as these notable matrial artists.

Old School DM

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    apaches WERE great guerilla warriors. that is a WELL known fact.
    Yes they were. They were particularly adept at hiding in the desert and living in very inhospitable terrain. And this has precisely ZERO to do with having any martial arts skills.

they WERE known for their knife fighting skills. (geronimo had a really bitchin one)
    Source?

Yes, but we have yet to hear any meaningful source that suggests that included in the Apache heritage was anything resembling a martial art. Bashing someone's head in with a rock was also practiced by native american tribes, but I don't see anyone offering to teach bash-head-jutsu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bashing over the head jutsu thats funny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 11:03am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my 2 cents on the matter.

Redfeather -- Comes from Native American heritage. His people were screwed by the white man. He's getting some payback. lol No, really though -- I think that he studied martial arts and then wanted to start his own system and probably just wanted to have some good marketing gimmick and injected his heritage into it since no one has ever come up with anything like it.

The reason that I am suspicious of this system is because if we look at the traditional martial arts, there are so many variations of the different systems by different students, masters, etc...Come on now! Redfeather can't be the ONLY Native American in the planet that got the SECRET TEACHINGS!? How likely is this??

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! I can't say that he is not trying to interject a new system that may be effective though! I have not even looked at this system closely. If someone on this site has actually studied this, now would be a good time to speak* up (*or type up).

Adrian Roman -- Bullshido! Period. End of Story! He's in it for the money! Certified Black Belt before any testing???? What the ****?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 11:07am

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are people all over the world in places like central, southern and south east Asia that still speak their native language, eat their native foods and live much the same way their ancestors did as well (without a car on blocks in the front yard). What exactly does that have to do with the re-surfacing of Apache knife fighting? It sounds like your running off at the mouth without looking at all the angles.

Please consider the large volume of knife fighting and survival reference material that is on the market today. Anyone can take things from other sources add some ethnic mumbo-jumbo and tribal ritual and BAM, instant home grown Native American Fighting Arts. It is a possiblity. You can't deny that.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast