223987 Bullies, 3916 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 5:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muscle/fat/diet etc question

Okay so the deal is, since I started training (just over a month ago) I seem to be hungry ALL THE TIME, even more than I used to be. I feel like I need to eat every couple of hours. I'm not eating anything "unhealthy", but I want to know if I should just go with it and keep eating lots because I am training and eventually all the fat will go away, or whether the fact that I still have some fat around my hips/stomach/thighs means I should try to eat a little less than what I feel I need to.

Hope this question isn't too stupid!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:55am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read up on nutrition to find out what your body needs -- before, during and after workouts. You're hungry for a reason, and as long as you're eating appropriately for someone who wants to gain muscle mass, you'll probably be fine.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 11:28am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I eat 5 times a day.

Sometimes the meal is meat with starch and veggies (like a steak with pasta and spinach for lunch), or it's more like a snack (Cottage cheese w/fruit, or yogurt with an instant soup).

Rule of thumb is if you're lifting, proteins before and carbs after you lift, with a little of each included. So after lifting, you want 2:1 or 4:1 carbs (preferably high-glycemic), and before lifting, more protein than carbs.

Keep in mind women naturally have more body fat than men for biological reasons (protecting a potential baby, etc). I was recently measured by BIA and calipers to have bodyfat in the mid-teens. My stomach has a bit of a gut because that's how my body naturally carries itself; fat doesn't really show up elsewhere.

Foods such as veggies and beans are low-cal, high bulk from their fiber content, and will leave you feeling fuller than other foods. Also, keep in mind that 300cal of protein will keep you feeling fuller than 300cal of carbs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 6:40am

Style: Brasilian Ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat will not go away if your eat more than you burn no matter how much you train.

Destroyer of Worlds

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 7:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I realise that, I just have a little extra body fat in the places where girls normally get it, which, as I've only started training recently, is yet to go away. I just want to make sure I'm eating the right kinds of food, and the right amounts, to help my muscles and not add more fat. I guess I will just have to see how it pans out, as my diet was really good for my old lifestyle, but now I need to alter it to support all the exercise I'm doing.

Cheers.

You secure that **** Hudson!!

Posted On:
    10/05/2005 10:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I followed the body for life program in the past and I think that it has some very sound advice. Basically, 5-6 small meals a day of carbs and protein - they say about your palm size worth of protein and your whole hand of carbs. I.E a piece of lean chicken with rice or something along those lines.

They also (EAS) make myoplex shakes which I love. They are really good for getting the right amount of nutrition each time.

When I was following the diet and religiously following the exercise plan I shed quite a lot of kilo's. Unfortunately, I had some injuries and started pigging out and put a lof of the fat back on. But I kept the muscle thankfully :)

I'm on it again now actually (as of yesterday) and I found that once I programmed my body to eat every 2-3 hours, my body would naturally tell me when it's time to eat.

Also, make sure you have a lot of water each day too!

$1.50

Posted On:
    10/10/2005 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: golf club jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lothene, can you tell how the body is doing? it might be a bit early to tell given just a month. my opinion is incremental change to gauge how things are. if you make too many changes, diet, supplements, workout routines, you might not be able to tell what's doing what.

the fact you're hungry all the time is not bad news, and you're watching what you eat is good deal. my opinion would be to gauge how your workout regiment and eating habits is affecting you. if you have a routine you can track, it'll help you assess how your body is doing.

hopefully you're feeling more energetic, better metabolism, more resilient against allergies, less fat, better body definitions, etc...

good luck!
    zenbert
    Hold me... :3some:

I love MA. Unlike many things in life, you get what you put in.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 5:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your hungry all the time - then your body is screaming out for nutrition.

You should respond by eating. Remember your body will breakdown it's own muscle if your food intake is not high enough to meet the demands of your training.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Destroyer of Worlds

Posted On:
    10/11/2005 5:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what I was worried about.

So far I am just going with what my body wants, and eating as required. I have definately lost fat and gained muscle, so it seems to be okay, but if it starts to go the other way then I'll review again. I guess my metabolism has just kicked up a notch.

P.S. Zenbert, that baby is the cutest fucking thing I've ever seen!
    Last edited by Lothene; 10/11/2005 6:18am at .