Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    83
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im a big fan of body shots but he had his hands down after he punched, i saw that opening and took it.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    sydney, australia
    Posts
    769
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm no striker, but would elbows be a good option in this case?

    elbows dont break as easy as knuckes can

  3. #23
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    i'm no striker, but would elbows be a good option in this case?

    elbows dont break as easy as knuckes can
    or clinch knees. If I were ever to get in a tussle out on the deadly streets I'd head for the clinch immediately and start throwing knees.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  4. #24
    Odacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,631
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A question about the Thai clinch, do you pull the head down as well or do you just knee really high?

  5. #25
    Jaguar Wong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,456
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Actually the opposite, in boxing, just like any striking oriented MA, you are taught to "aim small, miss small".
    Aim at a small target keeps the strikes tight and clean.
    Yeah I like that advice. That's why I've switched the focus pad training with all the new guys in our sparring group. I now hold two needles, and they have land every punch right on the point. Everyone they face after that will have to deal with their "pin-point accuracy"! (er...sorry, I had to)

    Seriously, I was looking into some smaller/slimmer focus pads for my guys to work with. I think that would help them out a great deal, since all we have are those large rectangle or oval kick shields, and these kids can't seem to land anything other than a jab to the face. They're hitting the shoulder and top half of the head, but most of the time, they completely miss (although that's because of their newb distancing and timing skills).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

    We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

  6. #26
    Yrkoon9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Land of the Living
    Posts
    4,593
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BOTH!

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,660
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    Yeah I like that advice. That's why I've switched the focus pad training with all the new guys in our sparring group. I now hold two needles, and they have land every punch right on the point. Everyone they face after that will have to deal with their "pin-point accuracy"! (er...sorry, I had to)

    Seriously, I was looking into some smaller/slimmer focus pads for my guys to work with. I think that would help them out a great deal, since all we have are those large rectangle or oval kick shields, and these kids can't seem to land anything other than a jab to the face. They're hitting the shoulder and top half of the head, but most of the time, they completely miss (although that's because of their newb distancing and timing skills).
    My mitts and my heavy bag both have duct tape on them for that very purpose.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    357
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by odacon
    A question about the Thai clinch, do you pull the head down as well or do you just knee really high?
    in my MT class we mostly work knees to the body from the clinch.
    If someone isn't clinching tight enough, their head will get pulled down,
    and the knee thrown to the head that way.

    So to answer your question- the head is pulled down.

  9. #29
    feedback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    4,082
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ideally, you pull their head down between your pecs, and use your chin to press down on the back of their head.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO