Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 9:50pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

punching techniques

Anyone know of any good punching technique i can work on? I got in a fight last night and i noticed i hit him with with the last two knuckles on both of my hands, i threw 2 punches a left and a right hook. i thought maybe since they were hooks that it was common for that to happen but i know ur not supposed to hit with the last knuckles. I never noticed this in sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 10:08pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i find keeping your "grip-line" perpendicular to the ground during a hook decreases the chance of contacting with your 4th/5th knuckles.

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't sound like hooks you threw. Sounds more like haymakers. The kind where the last two knuckles on your hand were leading. If you're so wild with the punches, Try overhands instead. But if you want some real advice, work your jab, cross and real hooks (the in tight, palm facing you kind).
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 1:29am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jab -- keep your hands parallel to the ground (like the above poster said) and extend your left arm straight out and pull it back in the same line.

Cross -- same thing, except use your right arm and twist up onto the toe of your right foot to get proper extension and power.

Hook -- keep your arm tight in to your body and use the twisting of your hips to generate power. Stop your punch a few inches behind your target. Don't let your momentum carry you around where your back is exposed. Remember to come up on your toes when twisting the hips.

Shadowboxing/bagwork is a good thing. Punching takes a lot out of you, but since I see you do BJJ, use your punches to set up a takedown and get the guy to the ground. Most people can sorta halfway fake their way through a fistfight, but untrained people on the ground embarass themselves.

Of course, the best thing would be to find a boxing or kickboxing gym and train there when you're not training your jujutsu.
    --
    L.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    koto ryu wrote a pretty tight article on this actually

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...wreview&id=127

it's a good read
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 6:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question.

If you where in a fight last night why did you try to use boxing or striking moves ? You train in BJJ. Why didn't you take him to the ground and work a submission ?

But anyway basic advice can be given over the internet. If your serious about it visit a boxing/kickboxing/Kyokushin/full contact karate dojo. That will give you the training you need.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Question.

If you where in a fight last night why did you try to use boxing or striking moves ? You train in BJJ. Why didn't you take him to the ground and work a submission ?

Dude, he wasn't in the dojo. So obviously there was glass'n'lava everywhere. Besides, just because he trains in BJJ, doesn't mean he's willing to bring the fight to the ground. It just means he more capable of ending it there, or escaping from the ground if he was unwillingly brought down.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd presonally recommend a BJJ person taking the fight to the ground, but maybe I'm just crazy like that
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punching in a fist fight pretty much guarantees that you will mess up your hands somehow. You see seasoned strikers with years of practice and experience flailing with just about anything they have when brawling. In the heat of the moment you are just thinking about hitting them, not placing the perfect 2 knuckle strike with correct wrist and forearm bone alignment. One thing is on your mind - APPLY BEATDOWN!

I know that many people will argue that perfect practice makes perfect punches, you fight how you train, etc etc. Okay. Fine. I will just say that the many years of striking arts guaranteed me nothing whenever I have scrapped. I'll fucking hit with anything, anywhere, any number of times. I aim at the face with my fist - to me it seems like a perfect punch - but to onlookers it was the most fucked up superman style haymaker anyone has ever seen. My short hooks to the head appeared to the audience to be flailing hammerfists with one hand while holding the guys hair with the other. My perfectly executed palm strike was in reality an overhand bitchslap.

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 4:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of punching, has anyone who studies/has studied karate ever been told never to try a hook punch (Kagi Tsuki)?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast