--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting to like you baofuhaibo.

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 10:12pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting to like me too, but it's a long road to recovery.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 12:00am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    But IIRC there's more to the paleo diet than just 'older must be better'. As far as we can tell from their skeletons, paleolithic humans were larger, more muscular and had a lower incidence of auto-immune diseases (like certain kinds of arthritis) than their grain-eating farming descendants were just a few thousand years later.
    I would imagine that the hunter/gatherers would have shorter lifespans which could account for less arthritis. Also more protein from meat would lead to larger muscles.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 3:36am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    I would imagine that the hunter/gatherers would have shorter lifespans which could account for less arthritis. Also more protein from meat would lead to larger muscles.
    This will need checking, but IIRC, the hunter gatherers who did survive into old age show lower incidence of autoimmune diseases. I'm pretty sure the 'lower incidence of auto-immune diseases' is based on a decent like-with-like comparison.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 3:42am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Actually, neanderthal man was riddled with arthritis. Much worse than modern man.
    Neanderthal man isn't an ancestor of modern man. They're a different species which doesn't appear to have been capable of producing offspring with modern humans despite them living side by side in Europe for tens of thousands of years (some archaeologists think that a skeleton of a young boy found in a cave in Portugal is an example of a neanderthal-human hybrid, but gene studies have been done looking for neanderthal genes in modern europeans and none have yet been identified).

The comparison I'm refering to is a more 'like with like' comparison of physiologically modern humans living on a hunter gatherer diet, with later humans who farmed grain.

IF I POST ONE MORE CRAPPY THREAD I WILL GET LOCKED IN TROLLSHIDO FOR A MONTH

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 4:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Deadly Flower Fist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Actually, neanderthal man was riddled with arthritis. Much worse than modern man.

No, that is based on just one specimen. Neanderthal did have a much denser bone structure and apparently would have weighed about thirty to forty kilos heavier than homo sapiens. That's muscle, not fat.

Read some thing about Neanderthal being the Nephillim described in the bible, which I thought was kind of interesting. Makes sense that those kind of things would be based down as legend.

On the topic of the diet, I have switched from a more asian centered diet to a more european one and I'm feeling a lot better for it. I've been eating rice every day for more than ten years, now I eat bread or pasta and I feel a lot stronger and have more energy.

I've been trying to eat what my ancestors ate and it seems to be working for me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 4:50am

supporting member
     Style: Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess eating like our ancestors might help a bit, but those guys did a bit of excercise as well. My advice, get your buddies and construct makeshift bows and spears, then learn how to track and hunt down some game. That will shed the pounds like little else.
    I'm not drowning my sorrows, I'm preserving them in alcohol.

Destroyer of Worlds

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand (orig from Melb, Aust)

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you ran around chasing buffalo with spears or whatever, you'd be healthier too. Hail cavemen!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    No, that is based on just one specimen. Neanderthal did have a much denser bone structure and apparently would have weighed about thirty to forty kilos heavier than homo sapiens. That's muscle, not fat.
    You may be right, I'm no expert on neanderthal man (despite being called a neanderthal by more than one x-girlfriend). However, the documentary I'm thinking of was very specific in saying that the vast majority of bone samples discovered showed arthritis and that the rate would be higher than modern man. Maybe it was wrong, I don't know, but according to that documentary, it's based on much more than one specimen.

Cullion, the reason I mentioned neandertal was because as far as I know, their diet would have been the same as Cro-magnon, at least very similiar, and according to what I've seen Neandertal was plagued with arthritis. But I understand that neandertal may not be an appropriate example.

Are you sure that Cro-Magnon was generally free of arthritis. That's hard to believe, based on the physically demanding lives they lived. Then again, I'm sure you're talking about RA, not OA. I'm not sure though that the two can be reliably distinguished from bone samples though.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    10/04/2005 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothene
    If you ran around chasing buffalo with spears or whatever, you'd be healthier too. Hail cavemen!
    I was wondering when someone would mention that. Those guys worked out a lot. some discovery show I saw said the average person was equal in conditioning to your typical decathlete.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast