Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 4:29am

Style: BJJ (Alliance) Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky
    Well, specifically one of them was half Japanese I believe... but you realize its common for people to have two sets of grandparents (though perhaps not in your family)?

That just seems an odd turn of phrase (to identify his enthicity my his grandparents, but make no mention of his parents). So - his grandparents are full Japanese, but he has a half-Japanese parent? Does that make sense?

I'm asking you to use more precision in your language because it sounds like an odd story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 4:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an honest critique of that site and why it might seem so offputing to an outsider (and what changes your group would like to potentially make to the website).

First, I would distance any security work from the Ninja stuff. To my knowledge, there is scant evidence of anyone ever using any Ninja skills to actually fight someone (unless there is a hidden trove of videos somewhere, I think someone from within the Bunjinkan even admitted that they didn't even have many second-hand, hearsay stories of Hatsumi ever being in any kind of fight). This doesn't necessarily inspire confidence for potential clients.

Second, you might was to ask your leader to drop from his resume the fact that he trained with Dux. Again, this is unproffesional and damaging to the reputation.

Third, you might want institute some kind of basic conditioning program (looking at the pictures in general) at the school. While also good for general health, this might inspire more confidence in potential clients.

As I said, be professional and don't make such a spectacle of the ninja thing. I'm not sure who in Minnesota needs Ninja bodyguards, but the site comes across as a group of men trying to live out some sort of childish fantasy (I don't know if that's reality or not). It doesn't paint your group in a good light.
    Last edited by Utah; 10/02/2005 4:42am at . Reason: tone, grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 4:42am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I recall correctly, and I really don't think its anyone's business but whatever, he is roughly one-third Japanese, and his family gave him a Japanese name for whatever reason they wanted. Is that specific enough?

EDIT:

Most of your observations, especially on the publicity/marketing angle, I totally agree with. I'm not sure why he put Dux in his bio since the only times I've seen it brought up its met with an eye-roll. Also don't get the "ninja" buzzword used on the Dragonfly page. Both things I've been meaning to bring up.

As far as video evidence of "ninjutsu" being used to win fights... personal protection and event security has nothing to do with that compared with situational awareness, communication, de-escelation, etc. Of course, with that in mind the Dragonfly site should really be talking more about the specific areas of training that agents practice. Again, good stuff to bring up with them.
    Last edited by Spunky; 10/02/2005 4:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 4:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I recall correctly, and I really don't think its anyone's business but whatever, he is roughly one-third Japanese, and his family gave him a Japanese name for whatever reason they wanted. Is that specific enough?
    Not really. Isn't is impossible to be one third of any ethnicity (assuming you're not kidding, if he had a half-japanese grandfather, he would be an 8th japanese)? Is there a chance he hypnotized you into believing this?
    Last edited by Utah; 10/02/2005 4:51am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 5:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 grandparents. One is fully Japanese, who has a half-Japanese wife. The other two grandparents are Whatever.

Their children: one is Whatever, the other is 3/4 Japanese and has a Japanese last name. They get married and keep the Japanese last name.

Their child: 3/8 Japanese

Technically not 1/3, fine. That would be a little more complicated but still possible with the magic of fractions! But that realy isn't the point. Do you want me to go to class and say to him "Hey Jotaro, some guy on the internet doesn't believe you're part Japanese. Could you scan your family tree and some photos to explain it?"

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 3:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
    Why does their third caucasian instructor have a Japanese name?? WHY do white people have to pretend to be Japanese?!

Because they're sick Orientophiles. I propose they all commit hari kiri :seppuku:
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read much?

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 3:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Extensively Spunky darling. I'm also WRITING a film script, game script and political manifesto.

Keep this up and I WILL be reading; reading the Minneapolis newspaper for your obituary! :seppuku:(Oh bugger there's the little samurai commiting suicide again!)
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 8:44am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    Because they're sick Orientophiles. I propose they all commit hari kiri :seppuku:
    Isn't it
    A) seppukku (for the whole formalized suicide process thingie)
    B) hara kiri if you're only referring to slicing the belly (cfr. hara gatame)
    C) not quite that improbable someone has a Japanese grandfather, a half-Japanese father and ends up looking mostly like a white boy while wearing a Japanese name? I have some (fairly) distant relatives in Indonesia who still wear the "Claessens" name while looking Indonesian rather than Dutch (uh, my side of the family "migrated" all of 20 miles and ended up in Belgium.).

Posted On:
    10/03/2005 9:14am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

3) Understandable sentiment. But one of the fellows pictured there is a qualified expert infantryman who did his four years, serving in Kosovo and was amongst the first wave into Iraq. So I guess while he is technically no longer a "real" solider, paying a little fucking respect might still be in order before making too many comments about playing "dress-up."
    Ninja, please.

That guy can have my respect. The other people in the photo are still playing dress up as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I was an NCO who did 7 years and I still don't run around in fatigues unless I'm playing paintball.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast