Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 5:18pm

Style: Taekwondo,Boxing and free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NO supplements

I have been looking into getting some supplements and i was going to get this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/nitrix.html but it says not recommended for individuals under 18 and i'm 14 so i haven't ordered this yet so i was wondering why this was. Also if anyone has any suggestions on other supplements that will help gain me some size because i'm pretty good at strength already (i can bench over my bwan squat and deadlift over 1.5 times my bw) but i cant seem to gain much size it would be much appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 5:41pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you want to gain size?

And, you're 14. The best way to gain size would be to wait a couple years.

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 5:54pm

Style: Taekwondo,Boxing and free

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm already tall as i want to be i only want to grow a few more inches i want to gain more size because it will give me extra power because mass and speed equals power.

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 6:07pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EAT MORE FOOD + DO DEADLIFTS.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meat and Potatoes, iron barbells.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 7:05pm

Style: TKD, western boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never used it so I can't give you advice from personal experience or anything, but this is a pretty informative article discussing the harmful factors of NO.

Taken from http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/suppanalysis.php

"Nitric oxide supplements are the hottest thing on the market. Athletes are buying them in droves without knowing exactly what is happening in the body. Supplement companies claim to educate their consumers with pamphlets and informational websites, but these only offer an incomplete story of what is actually happening. Manufacturers state that nitric oxide supplements, via the compound arginine alpha-ketoglutarate, gives the athlete added energy, mental focus, workout intensity, perpetual pump and muscle growth. Upon closer investigation, these effects are largely exaggerated and in some cases completely fallacious. While arginine is involved in the regulation of growth hormone release, the supplemental dosages that would stimulate a noticeable effect are astronomical. Arginine is also a substrate for nitric oxide; an effect that is enhanced when combined with alpha-ketoglutarate. Nitric oxide is released by the walls of the blood vessels that cause a decrease in the resistance and an increase in blood flow to the skeletal muscles. Arginine may also stimulate the release of epinephrine from the adrenal gland. These two effects are mostly beneficial to endurance athletes, not strength athletes like the manufacturers suggest. Grasemann et al. (2005) determined that participants receiving as little as 200 mg of L-arginine showed a significant increase in nitric oxide formation, as well as significant increases in plasma L-arginine and sputum L-arginine. This indicates that L-arginine supplementation does indeed induce nitric oxide formation. Rytlewski et al. (2005) found that three weeks of L-arginine supplementation lead to significant drops in systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, and mean arteriole pressure while elevating urinary excretion of NOx (nitrates) and mean plasma levels of l-citrulline. However, plasma L-arginine levels were not effected even with 300 mg of supplementation. Thusfar it has been established that L-arginine supplementation does indeed stimulate nitric oxide synthesis. Now it must be addressed whether or not this is beneficial to athletes.

Paddon-Jones et al. (2004) found that nitric oxide supplementation does not provide an ergogenic effect to healthy individuals. Miguez et al. (2004) found that 4 weeks of L-arginine supplementation increased serum triglyceride levels and significantly increased levels of low-density lipoprotein (LD) cholesterol. This is obviously cause for concern and needs to be further investigated. Evans et al. (2004) sought to find the optimal dosage of L-arginine to elicit the greatest effect on nitric oxide synthesis. Manufacturers recommend upwards of 6000-10000 mg/day but many athletes report taking even higher dosages as much as 35000 mg/day, nearly six times the recommended intake. Evans (2004) found that half the participants supplementing with 20000 mg/day reported serious adverse side effects from L-arginine supplementation and over half of the participants reported severe side effects when taking more than 20000 mg/day. A significant portion of individuals supplementing with 9000 mg/day reported adverse effects, and over the duration of the supplementation period, no participants experienced any sort of weight gain. Chu et al. (2004) found that L-arginine supplementation impaired pulmonary endothelium-dependent relaxation of vascular tissue. This may lead to potentially dangerous vascular spasms and cardiovascular abnormalities.

It has been found that L-arginine keto-gluterate supplementation stimulates rapid vasidilation in a non-discriminatory fashion. Significant vasodilatation causes a drop in blood pressure (because as the veins widen, the pressure drops). Baroreceptors in the aortic arch and in the carotid sinus will detect this fast, significant drop in both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. During exercise, it is imperative that diastolic blood pressure remain constant. It is natural for systolic blood pressure to rise during the onset of exercise, but diastolic blood pressure values must remain constant. A drop in either during exercise is cause for great concern and can lead to serious cardiovascular damage. In order to protect the body from going into shock, vasomotor centers in the medulla will cause the blood vessels leading to the brain to constrict in order to increase blood pressure going into the brain (too much blood can severely damage the brain, just like too little). This is a dangerous sequence that can potentially lead to a vascular catastrophe.

Based on the available research, this author strongly recommends that athletes avoid nitric oxide and hemodilator supplements in the interest of safety. Moreover, it has been suggested that these supplements have little or no anabolic or ergogenic benefits for the athlete."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 8:05pm

Style: MT (no, not "empty")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to gain size in general, but its really hard to gain size at your age. Your metabolism is just not concerned with building bulk. Granted some people mature sooner, I was a late bloomer &couldnt put on size until i was over 21.

You put your style down as TKD & boxing. Gaining mass/weight doesnt make much sense for a boxer.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 9:31pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since Akira is absent, here is something he would have linked:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=300nak2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 11:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    Why do you want to gain size?

And, you're 14. The best way to gain size would be to wait a couple years.
    Yeah, that's exactly what a 14-year-old that is unhappy with their physique wants to hear.

The truth is, if you eat, eat, and eat some more, you'll gain weight. As long as your diet is balanced with a good ratio of fats, carbohydrates, and protein, you can gain legit muscle mass at your age.

You need to eat every 3-4 hours at the most, and try and get in 6 meals a day. The only supplements I would recommend for the time being are multivitamins and fish oil. If you still aren't gaining weight despite eating a large amount, try a weight gainer. I've had some success with Twinlab Mass Fuel. Make sure the weightgainer you buy is not overpriced and is not comprised of simple sugars (sucrose, fructose, and other crap). I've had better results by taking a gainer for 3 days and not taking it for another 3 days (drinking more milk in its place).

Buy a closeable water bottle that is 32 oz. Fill it with milk and always have it with you if you're at the computer, doing homework, or watching TV.

Your diet and sleep are both very important. If you lift heavy weights and have a crappy diet you will feel like a sack of **** all day, believe me. At school there are so many kids with their heads down dead tired it's ridiculous. The reason for this, is probably poor diet and bad sleep habits.

If you get serious about lifting and eating now, by your junior year of high school you'll be one of the strongest kids in the school. But it's easier said than done. Good luck to you!

**** you math class

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Meat and Potatoes, iron barbells.
    To eat?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast