226105 Bullies, 4179 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Top or Bottom?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • No one can break my guard of steel!

9 42.86%
  • No guy gets to wrap his legs around my waist and go unpunished.

12 57.14%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 11:19am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    For anyone who has posted a preference for working a bottom game, would your answer change if you were doing MMA?

I didnt answer before, but I am at my best from my guard.

If I were doing MMA, natrually I'd like to be on top- I dont believe there is a single grappler who "prefers" fighting from the guard to a top position. Whether or not you would want to fight from there is a different question.

For example, you have guys like Maccaco and Kenny Florian who I would say use the guard in a more defensive position- they're going to try to get back to their feet.

People like most of BTT on the other hand, are content with staying on their backs even if their opponent gives them an opportunity to stand back up.

I'm more inclinced to prefer the latter- my chances are much better submitting/sweeping my opponent from my guard than standing back to the feet to either trade blows or try a takedown. All of the fighters, if given an option, would choose the top position.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a retarded question. Why the **** would anyone prefer to be inside someone's guard? I know guys with a good guard game but I dont know ANYONE with a good INSIDE guard game.

Its always preferable to be on top (mount, cross-side), and if you feel confident enough that you can pass everyones guard, then you do it - but only to get to superior position. NOT to fight from there.

When you have someone in your guard your in a better position to sweep and submit. If your stalling when someon is in your guard, then yes you are asking to get put in inferior position.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FingazofDeath
    This is a retarded question. Why the **** would anyone prefer to be inside someone's guard? I know guys with a good guard game but I dont know ANYONE with a good INSIDE guard game.
    You don't know /anyone/ with a strong passing game or tight leglock game?

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 2:28pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not talking about any specific guard position, just the general situation of being on your back with your opponent between your legs, be it open, closed, spider etc.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 2:38pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pure grappling I'll take bottom.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 3:39pm

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No right man would enjoy taking a bottom position gaurd in an MMA event.
    I always loved bottom gaurd..but not until we started adding strikes to our grappling :violent1:

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 3:44pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FingazofDeath
    1.) and 2.) What fatherdog said.

3.) The thread was opened up to include strikes.

If you can't think of at least three reasons why people might prefer to be inside the guard now, you are not thinking hard enough.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 5:24pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its all a question about your likelyhood of actually achieving anything from a certain position. Unless I have a huge skill advantage, I know that my odds of submitting anyone from the guard are very low. I know that I am able to sweep a lot of players at roughly my level, but I am far more likely to be able to pass their guard, even if I start from their closed guard. Therefore my odds of obtaining a dominant position will be better if I am on top than on the bottom. Why this reasoning is retarded, I have no idea.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I much prefer being on top. I work my guard all the time, but only because my passing game is so strong. If I'm going against someone my own level, then I definately want to be on top, whether it be MMA, sub-grappling or BJJ rules.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/02/2005 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoleFighter
    Its all a question about your likelyhood of actually achieving anything from a certain position. Unless I have a huge skill advantage, I know that my odds of submitting anyone from the guard are very low. I know that I am able to sweep a lot of players at roughly my level, but I am far more likely to be able to pass their guard, even if I start from their closed guard. Therefore my odds of obtaining a dominant position will be better if I am on top than on the bottom. Why this reasoning is retarded, I have no idea.

Your reasoning is retarded because your guard sucks. If you get your guard good enough to start ending the fights there then maybe you would appreciate it more.

It all boils down to style and preference. I feel comfortable in the guard (even with strikes) because I have a good understanding of how to control people there. I like to overhook one arm, and control the head with my hand. That leaves the guy with one arm to hit you with - not that dangerous at all. I think the guard has the potential to be very dangerous.

I still dont see why there is all this guard bashing. There is a lot of guys making the half-guard there "new" game. And if you think about how many crazy-funky-wacky submissions and sweeps you could get from there - then maybe you can see the half guard in a new light. And if not, then dont run into those people who make it there game.

I am still not saying that I prefer to be there. But IMO the guy IN guard it at a high disadvantage. I would rather still be on top but in mount or side-cross.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast