Posted On:
    9/30/2005 9:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Serenity - Joss Whedon

Saw this movie tonight.

If you see any movie this fall, see this one. For the love of all that is holy

This movie has made my all time top 10 of movies.

I've never seen the "Firefly" series, but after this movie I am strongly inclined to do so. From the opening moments of this movie to the very end, there is comedy, drama (the good kind), intrigue, seriousness (nicely balanced out with the comedy thing again), fighting, conspiracies, deaths of major characters (which is always awesome), and some fairly decent babes. On and on the list goes.

I'm not even going to describe this movie, as it wouldn't do this justice. However I will be checking out the nearby Future Shop, or failing that, online, for a copy of the Firefly series.

Highlights of the movie -

- Zombies (That's right, you heard me, SMART zombies. Like 28 days later running fast, cannibalistic, rapist zombies). That alone propels this movie far ahead of the rest.
    - The fights - Fairly *realistic* for a mainstream hollywood movie. There are no G&P's and such. However almost all the fights are noteworthy. However I refuse to spoil them, however when the final confrontation comes and the villain has his sword levelled at the main character, and he pulls out his weapon. You'll probably laugh.
    - The dialogue - It's Joss Whedon. So it's good, flowing dialogue intersped with awesome humour.
    - The space battles - It's what Star Wars wishes it could have been.

I could go on and on but I'd rather not.

This movie may not be for anyone, but I for one really, really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 9:45pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that, I might go see it then.

Is it based on Firefly, or are they just similar enough that you want to go see it now?

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 10:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No clue. I haven't seen the series. But the movie was good enough for me to feel less guilty about blowing that much money instead of downloading it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 10:20pm

Style: Shito-ryu, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    Thanks for that, I might go see it then.

Is it based on Firefly, or are they just similar enough that you want to go see it now?
    It's "based" on firefly in the sense it is the same crew in the same "universe" so to speak. I haven't seen serenity so I don't know if it picks up where Firefly set off, but if you fell for the charactors you'll probably like firefly.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/30/2005 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kick.... ass! time to go pick up firefly on dvd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 12:12am

Style: WC, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I give it an 8 out of 10

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 1:21am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw it tonight with Bullshido members Dai Tenshi and Dio. It is excellent. Dai turned me on to Firefly a month back and I soon watched the entire and tragically short series.

The dialog is excellent, the movie answers several of the mysteries of the series, and you honestly wonder which characters will survive, if any.

I will stop writing now as to go any further could spoil the movie for the rest of you.

If you have not yet seen it yet, watch the movie and rent the series, well worth your time.
    -----------------------

In case some of you missed Dai Tenshi’s post…

Enjoy the Ballad of Josh Whedon…

http://mp3-postcards.com/listen/?888
    Last edited by Olorin; 10/01/2005 2:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The movie itself isn't open here yet, but I can recommend the briefly-lived Firefly TV series, which I have on DVD. It's great.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My boyfriend's dorky friends wanted to go, so we went too. We have no TV, so we've never seen Firefly. His ex was OBSESSED with Buffy, so he's been exposed to Joss Whedon, and was a little bit worried that the ex would be there tonight (she wasn't).

Anyhow, it was alright. It was entertaining, but I don't think I'll ever see it again. The dialogue is *too* good, which eventually started to wear on me, but I still thought many of the lines were clever and funny. I think casting an itty-bitty ballerina in the role of a super-fighting-chick-psychobot was maybe not the best decision. If you want a woman to walk around gracefully, then fine, choose a ballerina. If you want her to kick ass convincingly, choose someone I could believe in. I look forward to seeing JKDChick's response to that casting if and when she sees this movie.

I thought it was a lot like a TV show. Entertaining enough to watch for a few hours, but never something that completely draws you in. It gave me a chance to cuddle with my boyfriend, but it is already fading from my memory (and the movie let out not even an hour ago).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 4:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beka
    The dialogue is *too* good, which eventually started to wear on me, but I still thought many of the lines were clever and funny.
    That's Joss whedon for you. Think of his dialogue in Buffy.
    But how can the dialogue be TOO good?!
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast