Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribbly
    (based on his videos...) He seems like a compentant teacher. Take his advice like the friendly highschool wrestling coach. It's a bit of a gamble with his information, which I kind of enjoy. It tends to be more of a "find-out-for-yourself" nature instead of gospel. For example his Beyond Brazilian JuJitsu video raises decent questions about technique, and he'll proceed to show counters that just plain don't work, but are still interesting to experiment with.

I wouldn't ever recommend buying his material, but if you have some freetime to kill it's not the worst way to do it.

so I think we can pretty safely conclude that he in fact doesn't have much (if any) fight experience
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 11:11pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have 2 books of his. "NHB Fighting: Savage Strikes" and "NHB Fighting: The Ultimate Guide to Submission Wrestling". Now I haven't done MMA training just yet, but I got a good deal getting both at the same time and I was really just after a submission wrestling book.

The sub wrestling book is very basic and really doesn't teach much new stuff to anyone who's actually involved in the sport. It also isn't terribly NHB as it examens everything from a purely grappling prospective. That said, I really like some of the stuff in that book. He explains everything quite thoroughly and with good pictures. He most certainly has some stuff I wouldn't ever try unless toying around with a friend. Some of the mount escapes in there are just too complicated and likely very low %. I feel like in the overall that if you're just getting started grappling, it's a pretty good book if you use it as a place to get some new ideas for training, but by no means should be followed to a t. Fortunately I still look at myself as a begginner and therefore this book did give me some consideration for a few different things.

The striking book is in my opinion superior in every which way. He goes over some theory, important basics and then gets you right into things. This book covers boxing basics, hammerfists, forearms, elbows, knees, low round kicks and even some ground and pound. There are also defenses shown for almost everything he mentions (short of ground and pound). He really does a good job of exposing you to lots of different tools and even offers drills. For the price (about $10) it was certainly worth it.

So has he fought? Maybe. He's not competley talking out his ass, that's for sure. I think that if you want to get something on grappling, there's a lot better stuff out there. From what I've seen of his striking so far though, he's really got his stuff together.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    10/01/2005 11:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have his Extreme Boxing series. I enjoy it because he goes back into some of the bare-knuckle tactics and demonstrates them pretty well. His Gladiator Conditioning tape, though I gained nothing new from it, would be a great workout for getting into fighting shape. From what I've seen, he's good, but I haven't seen any of his NHB/MMA stuff.

Posted On:
    5/09/2006 10:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hatmaker

He apparently has had Randy Coutre train at his gym for a while which I would take as a fairly decent endorsement. However that is according to his own website for Straight Blast Gym and you never know the real capacity of length of time Coutre was there. His striking Vids seem to be generally well accpeted but I can't offer my one oppinon as I have not seem them. He also seems to have a fair bit of information on his students fights and competitions on his site so best bet is to check that out if you have not already and assertain for yourself. www.straightblastgym.com, Cheers

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thorton>>>Hatmaker

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 10:59am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hatmaker is basically a borderline catch wrestler teaching sloppy BJJ basics.
    Last edited by Aesopian; 5/10/2006 11:20am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got three of his books:

- Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science,
    - No Holds Barred Fighting: Savage Strikes: The Complete Guide to Real World Striking for NHB Competition and Street Defense, and
    - No Holds Barred Fighting: Takedowns, Throws, Trips, Drops and Slams for NHB Competition and Street Defense

I like "Boxing Mastery" and the takedowns/throws/etc books. But the NHB savage striking book, it's kind of odd. It covers elbows, hammer fists, the boxing stance for MMA, etc. So far so good, but there is something wacky - it has these long ass combinations to practice in a heavy bag - for example: jab, cross, right elbow, reverse hammer fist with right hand, followed by left hook, left elbow, reverse hammer fist with left, right hook, etc.

I mean, who the **** is going to pull something like that for real????? :5dunce: :icon_scra
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    5/10/2006 1:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OOPS

Yeah I am retarded and got Thorton and Hatmaker
    confused, my bad. Thanks UpaLumpa for pointing it out in a none asshole manner.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12