yep, what he said :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 2:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It originated with French soldiers in Vietnam and there are people who practice it here in Thailand. I have tried some of the training exercises following experiences where I had to escape quickly from flood and forest fire and was looking to find ways to move quickly past obstacles. You can find websites which will teach exercises and it is not illegal but better to do in groups as otherwise in city it looks like you are running from the cops.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 10:47am

Style: Parkour and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest problem most people think there is when wanting to train parkour, is that they don't have anyplace that's good for it. But really, parkour is just the ability to move efficiently through an environment. You can train with trees, rocks, tables, benches, stairs, playgrounds, open fields, whatever. I do a lot of my training inside my house.

The two things you need to start with training are rolling and quadrupedal movement, which is crawling without letting your knees touch the floor (moving like an animal. Try walking, galloping, rabbit hopping, etc. When you get comfy with it, do it on some stairs to build technique). Try different ways to get over a fence. The two most important exercises you'll do are running and pullups. Build your jumps.

Also, don't try to imitate the videos you'll see. Basically, a lot of those guys are beyond the skill level that most hobbyists will reach.

Also, in the PK community, there's a difference between parkour and freerunning. Parkour is built around efficiently moving past obstacles. Freerunning is more about just having fun, and includes tricks, flips, and otherwise showing off. So there's a difference in how to go about it, but that might be a bit down the road for you.

For tutorials, go here:
    http://www.americanparkour.com/conte...gory/4/60/377/
    http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/3972
    They also have a workout of the day that they can automatically send you. But take some time and read some of the other articles on there too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 10:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just found this.
    http://www.parkour.co.il/
    You might want to see if you can hook up with these guys. Most folks are willing to help noobs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 5:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My daughter is attending a gymnastics class that has just taken on a facility in Walsall, West Midlands. would a training area with blocks, A bars, and High bar be of use to freerunners or Parkour practitioners? The club she is going to needs extra funding so if they could get a bunch of teenagers who wanted to pratice basics without risking splitting there faces open then maybe they could help support the club.
    Just a though, if this is missplaced I'll find a dedicated forum.
    Also would any martial artist like the opportunity to practice on a sprung floor? would be quite good for wushu or other acrobatic arts

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 7:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been russian climbing aka free running for for 5 years and the way i train is by just going to places with large ledges,some school parks are good or if you have one near you, a multi level parking area! But mainly you can do it any where!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 10:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by philmgriffin View Post
    My daughter is attending a gymnastics class that has just taken on a facility in Walsall, West Midlands. would a training area with blocks, A bars, and High bar be of use to freerunners or Parkour practitioners? The club she is going to needs extra funding so if they could get a bunch of teenagers who wanted to pratice basics without risking splitting there faces open then maybe they could help support the club.
    Just a though, if this is missplaced I'll find a dedicated forum.
    Also would any martial artist like the opportunity to practice on a sprung floor? would be quite good for wushu or other acrobatic arts
    Yes, a gymnastics facility is great for practicing parkour and freerunning, and a lot of the skills are transferable too. However, depending on where you are, there might not be a lot of folks who practice parkour and even if there are, there might not be a lot of them who can/will pay to use a facility. Some of the more serious folks would, especially in the winter. (And I could be wrong, anyway. I personally would love to be able to use such a place.) And you might have them go to some of the parkour websites just to advertise the availability. Pad the walls, to save from skidmarks.

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:05pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched a guy try to back flip off a concrete wall and effectively curb himself on the way down, teeth and all.

It seems like an awesomely fun way to eventually hurt yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusdbrutus View Post
    I watched a guy try to back flip off a concrete wall and effectively curb himself on the way down, teeth and all.

It seems like an awesomely fun way to eventually hurt yourself.
    It is what you make it. PK can be as simple as jumping a rail, or as stupidly awesome as jumping from building to building, which I will likely never do. But yeah, you get hurt. Scraped up my ankle and bruised up my foot in two separate incidents this week alone.

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid
    is my motto.

Along with
    Fart upwind; spread the love.

Posted On:
    7/18/2009 11:31pm

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!