Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 10:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you run your kids classes PART 2?

Ok well...I have gotten some pretty good feedback on the questions I have asked in regards to running kids bjj/grappling classes and not just from this forum...from a lot of other forums also. I have more questions to help me better understand that some owners/instructor do for their kids program to help me get off on the right foot.

Please know that I am asking more specifically for bjj/grappling kids classes:

-How many days a week to do you have kids classes?

-Do you offer both gi and no-gi for the kids classes or just one option?

-What equipment do you feel is a must have for your kids classes besides the obvious such as a gi?

-Do you require your students bow before entering the mat area? In the beginning of class? At the end of class?

-What do you usually do with a student who is misbehaving in a class? Do you make them sit out?

-How do you take the younger students attendance? Do you have them sign in manually? Do you use a barcode system?

-Do your students pay manually through cash/check or do you use an automatic billing system to collect their funds?

Thanks again for all of your answers....Through out all of the forums I posted my previous questions (which was a lot) I got a lot of answers and I have compiled them into categories based on the questions I asked...So far I have 9 pages...I will share what people said when I am finished because I think it will be really helpful to those looking to start there own kids classes.

If you can also please try to answer the questions in the format above. And if you have seen the other thread with the initial questions it is here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60132

Thanks again in advance.
    Jason

Pseudo-Scrambler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs
    Ok well...I have gotten some pretty good feedback on the questions I have asked in regards to running kids bjj/grappling classes and not just from this forum...from a lot of other forums also. I have more questions to help me better understand that some owners/instructor do for their kids program to help me get off on the right foot.

Please know that I am asking more specifically for bjj/grappling kids classes:

-How many days a week to do you have kids classes?
    We're doing 7 days a week now.

-Do you offer both gi and no-gi for the kids classes or just one option?
    We offer both, but we have 5 Gi days and two no-gi days, but we always tell them to bring both in case of an upcoming tournament. (If there is a no-gi tournament coming up we do more no-gi).

I could see why some people would only do one or the other (at least for a while) for younger kids, because they do tend to get confused at first, but since our school is always competeing e start them on both from the beginning.

-What equipment do you feel is a must have for your kids classes besides the obvious such as a gi?
    Uniformed No-Gi; at least color uniformed. We require black or camo shorts/shirts/rashguards, or one of our schools that we have for sale. When new people come in and it looks like kids are wearing street clothes it tends to drive them away. They'll go sign up with a McDojo that looks organized simply for that reason.

-Do you require your students bow before entering the mat area? In the beginning of class? At the end of class?
    Yes.

-What do you usually do with a student who is misbehaving in a class? Do you make them sit out?
    It depends on what he did, and how often he does it. Generally for being silly, not paying attention, and interupting while an instructor is speaking I'll have them do pushups on the spot.

But if a student is disrespectful, or does something malicious I'll pull him aside, talk to him and threaten to make him sit out. Then have him do some push-ups/sit-ups and send him back with a warning. If it happens again I'd make him sit out, but luckily it hasn't come to that for me yet.

-How do you take the younger students attendance? Do you have them sign in manually? Do you use a barcode system?
    Manual right now.

-Do your students pay manually through cash/check or do you use an automatic billing system to collect their funds?
    automatic billing is the least problematic, but we've done both and still make exceptions

Thanks again for all of your answers....Through out all of the forums I posted my previous questions (which was a lot) I got a lot of answers and I have compiled them into categories based on the questions I asked...So far I have 9 pages...I will share what people said when I am finished because I think it will be really helpful to those looking to start there own kids classes.

If you can also please try to answer the questions in the format above. And if you have seen the other thread with the initial questions it is here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60132

Thanks again in advance.
    Jason
    no problem

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/16/2007 11:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Mikey, once again bro..thanks for the detailed answers...it's much appreciated and very helpful.