Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 10:20pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Massage in general

I searched around the forums a bit and found nothing on massage in any sort of detail. Ever since hurting myself a little while ago, my back has been very tight so I have been considering a massage to help relieve some of the tension (combined with stretching of course).

I don't know much on the topic, but I'm sure some of you do. It seems like there are hundreds of types of massage out there and I am curious to know what you found effective and what you did not. What is mostly for just feeling nice at the moment, and what tends to have longer term benefits?

I've had one massage proper in the past, but it was awful. I wish I could remember the name of the style, beacuse it didn't feel great as it happened and it didn't do anything to loosen up the muscles.

I am hoping this can actually be useful to those of us interested in massage for whatever reason, so let's try and keep the very easily made jokes to a minimum?

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 10:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that massage on a new "injury" is a bad idea, FYI.

I find a good rolfing always made me feel better afterwards.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 12:53am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind your doctor would be the best choice for a recommendation.

Active Release Therapy (ART) has been discussed here before, as well as your regular sports physiologist.

ART - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19468
    Searching "Active Release" will yeild a few more threads about injuries.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 10:16am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big fan of deep tissue massage - get it done once a month for 2 hours. When I'm really stressed, I get it once a week. It hurts, a lot, but it's so worth it for me. Keep in mind though, it's not for everyone - having an elbow slowly crushed down on your traps might not be your thing.

I've also had medical message (not bad but it feels a little light for me) and swedish massage (sucked - the masseuse nicked my package while working on my legs and I completely tensed up but prior to that, it was like someone lightly brushing my skin).

Finding a good masseur/masseuse is tough. Word of mouth is best. You can try asking your doctor, but i've found that talking to yoga instructors, nurses and other athletes is a much better way to find a good one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a physical therapist that can do myofascial release, it's not much of a massage but it will significantly improve your flexibility.

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 4:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach massage therapy - i'll give pointers where I can.

Yes, you should not recieve massage at the site of a recent (acute) injury. If you do it will get more inflamed.

THere ARE many differnet styles. For general martial arts/fitness upkeep, a therapist who does sports massage and rehabilitative work is useful.

Some of my favorite styles are shiatsu (hurts-so-good, very energizing) and Thai Massage (think acupressure plus submission yoga).

FYI - ther preferred term is 'massage therapist' as opposed to 'massuer' or 'massuese'.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've actually considered going into massage. I've been told I'm good at it and I hear there's good money in it.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 7:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One can make money if you are in a good environment. I live in Northern Californa now and lets just say that the culture out here is more 'open' to massage than back in South Carolina where I grew up.

Genius

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    save your money and have a girlfriend rub your back.

Posted On:
    9/26/2005 7:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Save yourself the trouble of listening to Ken and get someone with expertise.

Unless you just want to relax, in which case a backrub from Ken's girlfriend should do just fine.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast