Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 12:43pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Clip 1: kote gaeshi against mune dori (chest grab) attempt.

Kotegaeshi iwama style is not based on rotation and body mass, the throw is based on footwork. Here is another clip of this technique performed by Saito H. Sensei, here you can see what can happen if nage keeps uke's hand low and close:

http://aikido-france.net/download.ph...unadori-hs.avi

Not mass applied on shoulder and not bending uke's elbow: Well, the idea is raising uke's body a bit to help elbow hiperextension an then apply force on uke's elbow, it's a mix between pin and armbar. Uke is tapping fast because he's a ***** :)

If you know judo'sude gatame you'll get an idea.
    I just watched the clips again and looked at your links:

After the Kotegaishi, he isn't executing ude gatame, as he doesn't apply pressure to the elbow or use his head as a third hand to trap the arm. To me it still looks like a half asses chickenwing with very questionable usability.

I get a Codec error when I try to look at the kotegaishi link you provided.

My comment on your comment is that all kotegaishi's are based on footwork, the in and around step used to create rotation and power in the technique. My kotegaishi, I utilize the foot work to force rotation of his wrist and to place as much of my mass into the throw as possible, forcing the person over.

Milage may vary.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 1:16pm

Style: She Sho Nah Fen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont think its Bullshido, I do think its bad Aikido

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 5:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    correct, the guy i'm talking about only claims to have trained in the same style, but is not from field aikido.
    Iwama style?

Do these guy have a webpage?

If so, link please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2005 9:55pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand where people are coming from. Problems perceived in raw basics should be indicative of overall performance, no? Thus…looking at such basics mpegs is a suitable method of gauging the school? If one were limited for time and existed in a relative media vacuum than this would perhaps be an acceptable means to gauge this organization. However, is it legitimate to base a solid opinion on such limited sources when there is more of such media readily available? I have no real objectivity here, yet I would ask others to consider ‘would a person who has received a legitimate 5th dan from Saito Sensei have ‘poor technique’ as suggested by some in this thread?’ Having asked oneself this question, would one not wish to look a little further? Also, DCS has clearly pointed out that ‘Iwama’ style technique may be unfamiliar to some and thus appear to have been performed in error.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been said before in this thread:

Is Fields a Fraud? No
    If given a choice of other Aikido schools to train in, would this be my choice? No

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 7:19am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Iwama style?

Do these guy have a webpage?

If so, link please.
    I dont think they have a webpage, but I do have a flyer from the school with its address, arts they teach, and cost. I will try to scan it in this weekend and post it. Its quite a fun read.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 2:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to say something that I have said to DOTJA in private and I'll state it here so everyone can see it:

Field's is not a fraud, I think he is McDojo, and trying to make as much money as possible from his art, but that is a business decision he made. That does not mean his is not a good teacher or is trying to run a scam.

I do have issues with Field's technique. My experience tells me it is lacking, granted I could be wrong, he could have some monster inner ability that makes those work for him. One of the things I do is when I see a technique performed differently by other stylists, I try it out and see if it works better than what I do. I have seen techniques done the way Field's did them in the video's, and I know that for me, they do not work as well as the way I do them, under that criteria I find them lacking.

At this point, we have settled the issues of Fraudulency and Bullshido and it is now a difference in opinion on the merits of technique between DOTJA, DCS and I. THat would probably be better served in a different thread, but honestly, would probably only get settled if we got together and hammered them out.

-The Honky Tonk Man

-My Father to me one day

-Don Gwinn

Posted On:
    11/23/2005 6:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter H.
    At this point, we have settled the issues of Fraudulency and Bullshido and it is now a difference in opinion on the merits of technique between DOTJA, DCS and I. THat would probably be better served in a different thread, but honestly, would probably only get settled if we got together and hammered them out.
    GONG SAU!!!11!!!ONE
    :toothy9:

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 2:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained under Field Sensei for a number of years, and as someone who has taken a lot of ukemi for him, I can say his techniques work.

I have also been in real-life situations where I have been able to apply what I have studied at the dojo. There are also safety concerns if students start demonstrating techniques outside of the dojo. As someone who has contravened this rule, I don't believe it's do prevent us from finding out our limitations.

The dojo rules exist to promote a certain Sensei-student relationship. Also, just because you need to ask for permission to train elsewhere, doesn't mean you won't get it. Many students have the opportunity to train elsewhere. It's more about respect for your Sensei. If you don't want that sort of traditional approach, well then that's up to you. It's not for everyone.

In response to the clips, they are there for beginners to use at home for practice, which accounts for the slow speed and broken up nature. In reality, your techniques wouldn't be done this way, and he says this himself in class. He doesn't really stop in the middle of a pivot.

You don't have to buy any of the uniform or weapons through him, in fact I think he prefers it if you don't. The dojo also has its own weapons for people to use if they are unsure of buying. And you're not going to get a hakama for at least 3 years.

The legitimacy issue has been well addressed. Field Sensei is a great educator and has as lot of experience, not just in Aikido. My bias aside, the best way to make a judgement on him is to book a free trial class and meet him for yourself.
    Last edited by hana184; 12/02/2012 2:34am at .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234