Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 1:34am

Style: BJJ/ Judo/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Beginning weight lifting

So i am sick of my puny ass geting punked in Judo and I want to get stronger. So I have been going to the gym to lift weights. I'm looking to get sronger and not define muscles so much. Am I doing the correct thing?

Start by running around the track for 10 minutes to get warmed up.

Go down to the machines and put the weight on 25 lbs and do 12 x 3 reps (theirs like 4 machines for the arms, and 5 for the legs), for the arms and 37 lbs for the legs again 12 x 3.

Do some sit ups 30 x 3 + 10, then some pull ups; about 8 average.

After the first day I was soar in my legs and my arms were tried. But for the past week, I have felt only slightley tried and not really soar from weight lifting. I tried doing 12 x 4 on the arms and did not feel any soarness, but am afrade i might push it to far and hurt my self. I heard that once I find a good starting weight, to add 10% every week in reps.

Help pelase.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 7:25am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=25478&page=1

This is a huge thread with an almost identical word for word topic you might want ot check out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 7:34am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about feeling sore. That's for bodybuilders, not people looknig to build strength and power. As far as warm up goes, don't bother with the running or anything like that. The best way to warm up is do what you're going to be doing at a lighter intensity. So, if you're doing Snatches, deadlifts and Military press, do a warmup set or two of each exercise with about 50% of your 1RM. fi you can, try to use free weights rather than machines. Some useful exercises to do (IMO) are:

Snatch
    Clean
    Military press
    Push press
    Split jerk
    Dips
    Pullups
    Incline press (narrow to shoulder width grip)
    back squat
    Front squat
    Overhead squat
    Deadlift
    High pulls
    Jump shrugs
    Press under
    Quick drop
    Glute-ham raise

I didn't put in any ab work (though standing cable crunches are good if you want to) because, IMO, the core gets the best workout from the compound, standing up movements such as squats, olympic lifts, military press and deadlifts.

I never really understood why, when the core is meant tobe good for acting as a unit with the rest of the body, to keep it stable, etc, we are told to train it in isolation. That just completely defeats the object. It's like saying that the chest, shoulders, arms and legs, when working together, are very good for pushing with and then being told to get better at pushing the best thing to do is leg extensions, tricep extensions, laterak raises and flyes.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 10:15am

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoguy
    I didn't put in any ab work (though standing cable crunches are good if you want to) because, IMO, the core gets the best workout from the compound, standing up movements such as squats, olympic lifts, military press and deadlifts.

I never really understood why, when the core is meant tobe good for acting as a unit with the rest of the body, to keep it stable, etc, we are told to train it in isolation. That just completely defeats the object. It's like saying that the chest, shoulders, arms and legs, when working together, are very good for pushing with and then being told to get better at pushing the best thing to do is leg extensions, tricep extensions, laterak raises and flyes.

Abdominals...Combining hanging leg lifts/knee lifts with the pull ups is a good way to tie in the compound idea. Abs can't really be 'isolated' because they are not hinged like quads, biceps/triceps but they should/can be 'concentrated' with the good old crunches...and such.

Now, I don't do tons of these because I agree with your idea of working within the plane of motion/gravity that you will be actually using them for (standing for clinches,throws and strikes AND some ground stuff for the ground fighting stuff) so I usually use fitball crunches, ball knee tucks (feet on ball, hands on ground roll ball up so knees come into your chest), and such for starters and then go to wood choppers/rotational motions with stretch bands and medicine balls.

I loved watching the guys that could get perfect scores on the sit up part of the PT test in the service but couldn't actually 'perform' on the obstacle courses or in the field. The purpose (according to the military training manuals) for sit up/crunch types of exercises is abdominal muscular endurance/strength. It is a foundation builder, but is not effective in developing 'functional strength.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 10:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weightlifting is very fun and you'll be glad you took it up. There are however, many things you should know.

First, flexibility is very important. Search up on "self-myofascial release". It's the best thing to increase the flexibility in the calves, quads, glutes, and just about everything. Most gyms have one dusty foam roller sitting in the corner that you can use for this.

If you are tight in the calves, quads, glutes and hips, your range of motion on exercises like squats will not be very good. If you don't do an exercise correctly and compensate for the lack of flexibility, then you are putting yourself at risk for injury.

Next, make sure your core is very strong before you do weight close to your maximum. Machines do not work your stabilizer muscles to any applicable degree, which is why you should be doing freeweights, with a lot of sport-specific movements that would be similar to Judo. Also, soreness does not necessarily mean that you had a good workout.

People on many message boards are going to be shouting at you "Do this, do 500 pounds on deadlifts! If you don't do this you're a wuss!" But believe me, only do what you're comfortable with and what is suitable for your goals. While all of the big 3 compound movements should be done (Bench Press, Squat, Deadlift), your goal may not be to develop skill in 3 different movements like a powerlifter would.

Now for Judo and most grappling arts, you need excellent grip strength, pulling strength, pushing strength, balance, core strength, leg strength and coordination.

If someone can squat 500 pounds, that does not necessarily mean they can transfer that power to a sport. Your abdominals and core are what create applicable power.

There are many routines on the net that are total crap. Many of us can help you create an effective program, for your goals, which I think some people tend to miss sometimes. Anyway, let us know more specifically what your goals are.

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 10:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is another thread on this, I am closing this one.