Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2005 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I know, that's what I said. But seriously, someone's agreeing with me? Send Hitler some ice skates.
    I've actually agreed with you several times, I just refuse to admit that publicly for fear of being lynched. :violent1:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 5:27am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeinHaar
    ****, not TOO much hype about these chunks of pig iron with handles.

Reality check.

They are chunks of pig iron with handles on them devised long ago by poor and primitive peoples. Think about that next time you're tempted to lay down $2.50 per pound for the privilege (plus shipping)!

Read:

http://ejmas.com/pt/ptart_brennan_0103.htm
    Somebody posted a reply to that on another website. Can't remember where it is but you'll probably be able to google it. Whilst I agree with Brannon that kettlebells are overhyped and got their popularity via marketing rather than how amazingly good they were compared to barbells and dumbbells, some of his points are questionable. For example, one legged squat is harder with resistance. If you find this is the case try using a proepr weight rather than the 2 pound barbie weights.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 7:53am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I could probably cut out 5-10% of what he was saying. His over-all point still stands correct, though.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 8:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baofuhaibo
    I've got a grand idea. Instead of laying down gobs of money for kettlebells, why don't you start using your barbells in one hand, and purchase some dysfunctional cinderblocks and put a bar through them, or buy a sandbag, or a medicine ball.
    Because it'll be a bit difficult to swing a barbell through your legs.

And yes, you can use dumbbells and it works almost as well. The main reason why I think kettlebells seem "harder" than regular DBs is because the handle is thicker so it works the grip a lot more which people aren't used to. You can get the same results buying a sleeve for your dumbbell that can make it anywhere from 2"-3" thick which is much cheaper than a KB.

I do like them though, and they're fun to use. It's also easier to toss them around and catch them, which is a good workout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 9:12am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Each to his own.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123