Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 11:39am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

creatine & caffeine

I've heard that it's best to not consume much caffeine while taking creatine.
    From what I heard it makes the creatine "less effective."
    I was wondering how much less effective the caffeine makes the creatine.
    Would it make taking the creatine a total waste?

I'm not on creatine yet, but I'm planning on getting some soon. I usually have a few cups of coffee every day in the morning. I'm willing to give up the coffee if I need to, but I do love coffee and it does help me wake up and focus for work.

Also, should the creatine be taken before/after training, in the morning, at night, etc... does that make a difference?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard the same things, but I can tell you that at one point I was taking creatine and drinking lots of coffee, and the creatine was still very effective. I doubt the coffee had any effect.

The bigger question is do you really want to take creatine? Are you a competitive athlete looking to gain a slight edge, or are you just taking it because you want to get bigger and stronger. If it's the latter, my personal opinion is that it isn't worth it. I can't stand the stuff, but it's all about your own personal goals.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 12:18pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe try switching the coffee to green tea? It still has caffeine, but it also has much healthier compounds in it than coffee.

One thing I'm thinking is that caffeine is a diuretic, and creatine requires increased fluid intake. Those are contradictory, or would require more fluid intake than usual?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 12:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    One thing I'm thinking is that caffeine is a diuretic, and creatine requires increased fluid intake. Those are contradictory, or would require more fluid intake than usual?
    As for that, it was noticeable. For that reason alone, it would be smart to avoid caffeine while taking creatine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 3:57pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I've heard the same things, but I can tell you that at one point I was taking creatine and drinking lots of coffee, and the creatine was still very effective. I doubt the coffee had any effect.

The bigger question is do you really want to take creatine? Are you a competitive athlete looking to gain a slight edge, or are you just taking it because you want to get bigger and stronger. If it's the latter, my personal opinion is that it isn't worth it. I can't stand the stuff, but it's all about your own personal goals.
    Well, I did go and get some today, so I guess I'll be giving it a try.
    When you say it's not worth it, do you mean not worth the side effects, worth the cost, etc? Why do you not like it?

I'm not a competitive athlete yet, but I do plan on competing in kickboxing or MMA once my skills are improved, so I'll be looking for an edge there.
    I would like to get bigger and stronger in the meantime- I'm mostly just looking for something to help with the muscle fatigue so I can work out harder, and I heard it's good for that.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by warnerj5000
    Well, I did go and get some today, so I guess I'll be giving it a try.
    When you say it's not worth it, do you mean not worth the side effects, worth the cost, etc? Why do you not like it?
    Pretty much all of that. I drink lots of water anyway b/c I typically train a lot, including endurance sports, so the added water consumption just got ridiculuos. I would also get really bad abdominal cramps, occasionally. Not real often, but sometimes. These were muscle cramps, my abdomen would completely not up. It was really bizarre. You'll hear people say that creatine does not cause that, but that's B.S. It absolutely does cause that. I know of many athletes who have had similar cramping episodes. It might have been from lack of water, however, seeing as how I was drinking more than 8 gallons a day at that time, I kind of doubt it. Like I said, it was only a few times, but just knowing it might happen while training was a little unnerving.

I generally prefer to keep it as natural as possible. I'm not saying creatine is unhealthy, I really don't know about that. I just get a better feeling out of knowing my lifts aren't aided by a supplement.
    I'm not a competitive athlete yet, but I do plan on competing in kickboxing or MMA once my skills are improved, so I'll be looking for an edge there.
    I would like to get bigger and stronger in the meantime- I'm mostly just looking for something to help with the muscle fatigue so I can work out harder, and I heard it's good for that.
    It will do that for you. It is very effective. It will increase both your 1 rep max as well as your max. reps. It will also blow you up a bit as your muscle tissue soaks up the water. It's water weight, but it will make you bigger, if that's important to you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2005 3:05pm

Style: wu tang

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem you are asking about may be related to the fact that caffeine has diuretic effects (makes you pee) while creatine increases the amount of h20 your muscles hold. So while you are on creatine you want to make sure to stay hydrated, but coffee can make that more difficult.
    On the flip side, caffeine can increase insulin levels, which might increase creatine uptake. Some info about creatine suggests taking your creatine with lots of high glycemic carbs (sugar) after a workout so that you have a big insulin spike and your body takes more creatine up into your muscles.
    I don't reallly understand how creatine works exactly, just read some stuff about it. I've never had any cramping, and it does work (small but noticeable strenght increases). I never used more than 5 grams a day, while some people use a lot more. :new_astha

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 3:49am

supporting member
     Style: Gnujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd recommend CEE but someone here would call bullshido on it...
    Legendary Street Fighter

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit of the topic but
    They showed a BBC show here last week ( Bodyworks?) which was a review of doping in sport. As part of the program they observed a little trial on a group of unfit hockey players.( Mixed gender )
    At the beginning of the test they all underwent a fitness test. For the next 6weeks half of the program underwent a sports specific training programm, the other half just drank creatine daily.
    At the end they repeated the fitness test.
    The creatine group had the higher improvements , compared with the training group.
    Now, the set-up of that trial would not withstand any scientific scrutiny since there were a few flaws.
    But the mere fact that people who do nothing else but watching the telly may improve their fitness by drinking creatine...
    I am sure the sales in the UK must have gone through the roof.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm more worried about the effects of creatine on my caffiene intake.

If it's gonna get in the way of that special, buzzing, 4am numbness then there's no way I'm getting involved in that.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast