Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 5:37am

Style: judo, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Counters to hip heist

By "hip heist", I mean when the person on bottom has guard, sits up and to the side, and ends up in mount.

I would like to know what the guy in the guard can do when the bottom guy attempts this.

(Someone once showed me way of kind of stepping out and getting the back or mount, but I can't remember it)

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 5:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I do:

1. Post an arm.

2. Push my opponents hips down. Gravity is your friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We call this the situp sweep.

You can prevent it by keeping good pressure on your opponent, good base, and good posture. By pressure on your opponent I mean one arm is usually gripping thier gi in the middle and turning your fist and pushing into their solar plexus while the other hand is on their hip bone pushing down.

To defend against it push them back down before they get up to you. I like to drive my head right into their solar plexus and put at least one of my hands on their hip to keep them from sitting up.

A failed situp sweet can also transition to a guillotine and a kimura, so be careful of your head and arm placement when you stop the sweep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 11:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure this is the kimura sweep.

I'd be interested in a description of the step out and take the back from this. I would think that would be difficult in that the person sweeping has their guard closed and then opens it to sweep you, though their legs are still in the way.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doner_kebab
    By "hip heist", I mean when the person on bottom has guard, sits up and to the side, and ends up in mount.
    This is usually called the situp sweep or hip bump sweep. I don't recommend referring to it as a hip heist, since most people don't call it that and a hip heist refers to a different move in wrestling, which means you're likely to meet with a lot of confusion.

I would like to know what the guy in the guard can do when the bottom guy attempts this.
    Post with your arm to keep from going over. If they're not a retard and are tying up your arm, then when they start going for it, drive forward and try to press their back flat to the ground to prevent them from sitting up and getting posture. Back flat to the ground == no hip bump sweep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 12:15pm

Style: One-armed flailing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a guy who was really fucking good at this. The drill we were doing was where I started from mount and he would just do this every time. Nothing I tried to do was effective, and I had a lot of chances to try out different stuff. I think the dude just had that **** down. It was unstoppable, though he did outweigh me by at least 100lbs, maybe that's why.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah its the kimura sweep. Just base down and into the guy so he cant sit up all the way. Or post a hand on him so he cant sit up at all.

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lower your base and get your hips back and away.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatherdog
    This is usually called the situp sweep or hip bump sweep. I don't recommend referring to it as a hip heist, since most people don't call it that and a hip heist refers to a different move in wrestling, which means you're likely to meet with a lot of confusion.
    Hey all, new poster, been doing BJJ for a few months now. Some people call this hip heist because that's what Renzo called it in his book "Mastering ju-jitsu". In the club I go to, they didn't call it anything when they taught it to us, so it remains that nameless move to me.

I find the best way to prevent this is to keep both elbows tight in, with one hand firmly pinning his hip on one side and the other pressed into his sternum to hold him down.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 10:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit, can't we just come up with a consensus of the names for all these goddamn techniques? I've heard a kimura called at least 12 diferent things
    Last edited by chaosexmachina; 9/23/2005 1:41am at .
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast