Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Round kicks: Pro's and Con's.

Ok, here we go.

The pro's and con's of the various Round/Roundhouse kicks.

Typical kicks:

Muay Thai:
    Pro's:
    A powerful kick with the shin, can be used at any level, in any direction ( though in terms of a low kick, it shoudl be angled in or down, not up).
    The Thai boxer steps to his side ( 45 deg and in) and whips out his kick with very little chamber of the kicking leg, the hip rotation sends the knee, followed by the shin, crashing through the target.
    Con's:
    Wide kick opens up body for counter punches.
    Slower than a "snapping round house kick".
    When the Thai boxer misses, he will often spin with the momentum, exposing his back to attack and his support leg to sweeps.

ITF TKD:
    ITF roundhouse kicks ( rear leg) are chambered like front kicks, all ITF rear legged kicks are chambered that way.
    Pro's:
    The opponent does NOT know which kick is coming.
    A very decpetive and fast kick.
    The TKD's deliver the kick from his "narrow chamber" pivoting his rear foot at the last moment, snapping the leg open at the knee, smashing the shin/insetp into the target and following through, the kick is then snapped back just as fast.
    Con's:
    The ITF kick lacks the later movement of the body so the bosy actually comes FORWARD for this kick, to add power, sometimes causing the TKD's to run into counters.
    It is NOT as powerful as a typical MT round.

WTF TKD:
    A wider version of the ITF, thing a snapping swing kick.
    Pro's:
    More powerful than an ITF ( more bodyweight behind it).
    Faster than a MT ( added speed of the snap).
    Teh WTF TKD's launches his kick from a realxed stance, whipping AND snapping his rear leg into the target, follow through is based on the depth of the knee into the opponents "centerline".
    Con's:
    Wide kicks open your upperbody and support leg to counters.
    The lack of "moving into the kick" takes away the bodyweight, thus decreasing power ( some TKD's thus move into the kick on a 45, much like MT fighters).

Kyokushin:
    Very similar to a Thai kick, but with more snap and the kcik is chambered.
    A very fast kick with alot of torque behind it ( the kyokushin kicker whips his upper body in the opposite direction of the kick- think right kick = right harm whipping in the opposite direction).
    The kyokushin fighter, launhes his kick by initiating the move with his upper body, the kicking leg is chambered as it is raised and shoots out as the hip rotates into the kick, driving the knee and leg through the target.
    Con's:
    Can be telegraphed if not carful.
    The arm whipping in the opposite direction can leave you open.
    Has a tendency to be thrown wider than it should.

Thoughts and add on's always welcome.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'nuff said

Although i don't like the counter rotation of the kyokushin kick.

I would say my kick is somewhere in between the I and W
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 9/21/2005 4:42pm at .
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    it seems to me the execution of that snapping kick is longer, and more dangerous, than a swinging kick because of all the motions involved (lift leg, chamber, kick, rechamber, return leg). Also, it is my experience that the only times I've really left myself open when missing a kick is when I fail to follow through and stop my kick short of full rotation. It's easier to just continue the motion in the direction of the kick than to stop it part way and pull it back.
    All the motions of a snapping round house are in one fluid motion. There is no "stopping it part way". it is a full snap . Like a front snap kick done sideways. It is pinpoint, it is very fast. And it can come at you from the front or the back leg.

Also the swing kick is more active at the hip than the knee so stopping it is way different.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 9/21/2005 4:40pm at .

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:39pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "KFDW's snapping roundhouse kick leaves him open to get grabbed at the knee and clinched, or cut kicked."

Or you could just eat foot.

Counters are available for any technique. Snap or swing.

Genius

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kru-MuayThai,GJJ-Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai round kick uses counter torque as well.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its more like counter compensation.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest mistake people make with the snapping roundhouse is end placement. They put their end point on the surface of the target creating the flicky kick you see so much in point tounies.

"The Correct" placement of the impact should be at 20% before the end point. In other words you aim for the core instead of the skin.

And before we get into any pro sports discussion, open your eyes and note that its being used by many champions today.

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 5:48pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    though in terms of a low kick, it shoudl be angled in or down, not up).
    The Thai boxer steps to his side ( 45 deg and in) and whips out his kick with very little chamber of the kicking leg, the hip rotation sends the knee, followed by the shin, crashing through the target.
    Amen. Can't tell you how many times I've had to rag on fighters for doing an upward angled pendulum swing with closed hips (no 45 degree hip-opening step), and thinking that they are doing a Thai style round kick. Bugs the hell out of me, and it is a hard habit to break.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 5:52pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i am curious about upper body placement on these kicks,

basically we keep our arms up and try not to twist the shoulders; so we dont drop our gaurd or telegraph

how does the typical muai thai/tkd/kyokushin guys do it?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I was taught, in muay thai it's kind of like your hip and your shoulder are attached. As you rotate your hips you also swing your shoulder around, rotating pretty much your whole body. For hand placement, you sling the arm of the side you're kicking with out and bring your other arm across your body with your hand guarding your jaw.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast