Old School DM

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Nothing current

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with limitations from injuries

I've recently started some classes in Arnis after a very very long layoff from MA. About 20 years ago I was rather enthusiastic about Judo (got to orange belt so pretty much a newb), but during some open sparing I ended up throwing another newb who ended up pulling me down and flipping me off him, with my arm pinned underneath - resulting predictably in a very very bad shoulder dislocation. Ouch.

About a year later, my very short military career ended with a severely torn (completely in half) ACL in my knee. :eusa_wall

Between my shoulder (which still dislocates in a stiff wind) and my knee (which my doctor refuses to operate on anymore because the previous surgeries have already set me well down the road to severe arthritis) I'm pretty much screwed as far as intense training goes.

One of the reasons I've started up the Arnis classes is that I really like the instructor, its a small school, and they're very willing to work with me within the limits my body sets. I'm not looking to become a "fighter" by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm hoping to improve my conditioning, and basically just enjoy the art as a hobby.

I know this site is primarily about hard training, and no-BS MA, but I'm curious how others have adapted their training to serious and limiting injuries. I'm surely not the only one who can't/doesn't want to roll hard due to these issues.

No real point to this post I guess, other than I really wish I could participate more fully.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grashnak
    I've recently started some classes in Arnis after a very very long layoff from MA. About 20 years ago I was rather enthusiastic about Judo (got to orange belt so pretty much a newb), but during some open sparing I ended up throwing another newb who ended up pulling me down and flipping me off him, with my arm pinned underneath - resulting predictably in a very very bad shoulder dislocation. Ouch.

About a year later, my very short military career ended with a severely torn (completely in half) ACL in my knee. :eusa_wall

Between my shoulder (which still dislocates in a stiff wind) and my knee (which my doctor refuses to operate on anymore because the previous surgeries have already set me well down the road to severe arthritis) I'm pretty much screwed as far as intense training goes.

One of the reasons I've started up the Arnis classes is that I really like the instructor, its a small school, and they're very willing to work with me within the limits my body sets. I'm not looking to become a "fighter" by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm hoping to improve my conditioning, and basically just enjoy the art as a hobby.

I know this site is primarily about hard training, and no-BS MA, but I'm curious how others have adapted their training to serious and limiting injuries. I'm surely not the only one who can't/doesn't want to roll hard due to these issues.

No real point to this post I guess, other than I really wish I could participate more fully.
    There are certain exercises you can do to strengthen both of those joints. This is not a cure-all and will probably not allow you to train with the intensity you'd like, but I mention it as a way for you to lessen the chances of further injury down the road.

Moron

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 11:40am

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After I damaged an ACL and a MCL about two years ago, I looked into what limitations it would put on me. What did I find? Pro rugby players with no ACL tendons, and there still playing at a high level due to their great physio routine.

As for the shoulder, we had a guy who dislocated his shoulder in class. It came out afterwards very easily (one san shou fight he did, he spent the whole time holding his dislocated shoulder in, as it was just popping out constantly)......so he took up boxing instead. The boxing gives him no problem.

There are ways around injury, but don't expect things not to change and don't fear hard work.

If anyone can suggest more ACL damaged exercise, I would love to hear it.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 4:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This might be a helpful starting point:-
    http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0281.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 10:14am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd venture to say talk to your instructor in detail about the major motions/physical actions in Arnis and become comfortable with what they are, maybe even write the descriptions down. Then get a perscription for physical therapy and get routines that will (re)build the physical attributes in your knee and shoulder necessary for Arnis. You can try to strengthen everything on your own, but you might miss a certain exercise that will help you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 9:30pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have done my shoulder twice