Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 8:17pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dunno if i am misunderstanding the original question, but how do you counter a hip throw with osoto gari?

i mean with a hip throw, thier back is towards you and you are starting to get pulled forwards over them, how do you turn this into osoto gari?

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the original question, the hip throw attack was countered by somebody with O-Soto.
    So I assume he never turned in fully, since his opponent had his bum pointed backwards and had a stroner/better grip.
    Than you can use the oppoenents turinin movement to counter.
    Remember there are different ways to defend against a throw:
    Blocking - If he turns in for a right O goshi , you block by lowering your centre of gravity, bring your hip forward - and a personal favourite , kick your left knee into the back of his right knee.
    Counter-throw- against a hip throw there are numerous counters, such as te guruma, tani otoshi, your own hip throw etc.
    Avoiding or stepping out. That's best done when his grip is weak
    Anticipation - you know your partner is going to attack with o goshi, you wait until he is unbalanced whilst he is turning in and you throw him with a fine Osoto Gari
    Voila

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS
    Anticipation - you know your partner is going to attack with o goshi, you wait until he is unbalanced whilst he is turning in and you throw him with a fine Osoto Gari
    Voila
    ok, the guy enters for a right o-goshi, you pivot 180 degrees on your right foot and go for a right osoto-gari?

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again several possibilities:
    one of the best judoka ever, Peter Seisenbacher from Austria, was master of this one:
    Whilst your opponent is stepping forward, you begin your O-Soto, by hooking the leg in, and only than you proceed stepping forward with the other leg.
    If you have a chance to watch one of Seisenbacher's fights you will quickly see the secret behind this throw: Absolute dominance in the kumi kata ( gripping) which prevents your opponent to step in. ( mind you, Seisenbacher was able to carry two pianos and an elephant, at least that what he looked like)

Another possibility is the one yur suggested - anticipate the partners move, and and by stepping back and turning with the left foot, you should be able to cathc your opponent unbalanced.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.judophotos.com/images/198...%20Worlds.html

Here you see a series of his Osoto

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:51pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I for one, love teh tani otoshi counter. The problem is that it is sooooo standard for coutnering hip throws that you kid of feel lame for doing it.

Sometimes I would just hip block, wedge the LEFT leg a la AFS, and scoop the right leg off the mat with my hands. Sweep the left for a satisfying thud.. Gotta get low, but it works.

I guess that would be some kind of mutant sukui nage.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2005 9:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, thanks for that AFS

something different to try in randori :) wierd how i havent stumbled across that counter myself, it seems obvious now that you have mentioned it
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345