Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    I'm aware of Kosen Judo but never been exposed to it. I don't know what a Kosen Guard is. How does it differ from the BJJ guard, or a normal judo guard?

Also, you used to be able to pull your opponent down to the mat any way you wanted, but the new rules prohibit that. It needs to be an attempted throw now.

The biggest problem with pulling guard is that your opponent can react to that and turn it into his own throw.
    In Kosen the plant the foot ( right or left) into the hip kind of like they are going for a tomae and then they pull an "offside guard", slightly to the side, now, if the person tries to make it look like it was a throw, perhaps a sweep, the foot on the hip helps to control them and keep them from coming in ( as the grip we have keeps them from pulling away).

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    In Kosen the plant the foot ( right or left) into the hip kind of like they are going for a tomae and then they pull an "offside guard", slightly to the side, now, if the person tries to make it look like it was a throw, perhaps a sweep, the foot on the hip helps to control them and keep them from coming in ( as the grip we have keeps them from pulling away).
    O.k, thanks.

I used to do that a lot when I was younger. Used it a bunch of times in tournaments. I never knew it was a considered a Kosen guard.

I agree that it's very effective.

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note that I called it a "kosen guard", they seem to use it alot.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/21/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note that I called it a "kosen guard", they seem to use it alot.
    Gotcha. "Kosen type guard." That would make sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 1:07am

Style: Judo, kickboxing, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All the techniques suggested seem valid. But you could also exploit his assumably bad balance, and move him around a bit. When his legs are far away, his balance is tipped towards you. All you got to do, is to start yanking him around. Fast motions, back and forth. Side to side. You get to confuse him about your true intentions, aswell as making his balance even worse than it was.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 1:31am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't plan on competing, and my sensei is a blue under Relson, so he has no problems with the guard. :)
    --
    L.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    9/22/2005 4:23am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    Good job! :eusa_clap It's a great feeling isn't it? I love having it locked in to an extent that they can't do a damn thing about it even when they know it's coming. I love sumi-gaeshi for that reason.
    Thanks. Yes, one of the things I love about judo (although initally it annoyed the **** out of me), is the way you can get the grips+positioning set up just right, and then checkmate, and the throw/hold down/submission is pretty much guarrenteed before it's begun.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 5:55pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I would avoid sumi-gaeshi and tomoe-nage considering you sound like a beginner (no offense indended, mate). The problem with sacrifice throws is you HAVE to get them perfect or you will end up on your back in a hold-down - especially against a heavier guy. Then again - he's not really THAT much heavier...

If he is leaning forward then you have an opportunity to do a forward throw. Someone suggested uchimata - definitely worth a try especially if you are taller than this person. Actually any forward throw would be good as long as you do them properly and with 100% commitment.

There are LOTS of things you can do from here. Remember - being in a completely bent-over position means essentially this guy is playing completely defensive. YOU have the attacking options if you remain upright and control him from here - he can really only react and counter if your attacks are poor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 6:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    But any time I closed the gap to throw with my hips, he'd step in and do o-soto-gari. I tried to throw him over me as I went down once, and we ended up grappling with him smothering me with his shoulder (I tapped).
    Sounds to me like your forward throw is not executed correctly OR executed half-heartedly OR done to often/telegraphed so he expects it.

Also consider using this reaction to your advantage. Switch to a kouchi-makikommi after a fake for a hip throw OR do a o-soto-gari/sasae-tsurikomi-ashi hiza-guruma combination.

The sasae or hiza is also another good alternative to someone bent over or leaning forward. You can attack outright without any combination - left OR right without changing your grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2005 9:40pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the NON-judoka:
    Can you guillotine in judo?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast